Cinema Musica debuts 30 second War Horse samples (UPDATE: EXCLUSIVE SAMPLES now up at JWFAN as well!)

Jay

Yeah, sorry about the ambigous language. It's best for you to click the link yourselves and draw your own conclusions. Ryan normally doesn't have inside info or advanced preview of scores, so he is probably refering to the already posted tracks

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Track 7 1:29, sounds like "Arrival to Earth" from Transformers...

and that's one of the better WH moments....

Gee, you should know better by now than to post stuff like this at this moment...

My only problem with The Homecoming "suite" is that the trailer main theme isn't presented in full

Like Tintin's theme not being in the End Credits

considering some spoilers in the track listing, how about using the numbers instead?

I'm halfway into the CD. It sounds to me like far and away+the river through the Williams STAR WARS prequels' sound.

I really love the brief moments where the stunning trailer theme appears (not in full... yet).

BTW, people say the film (140 min long) is overscored, so be prepared for an amount of unreleased music!!

To the best of my memory, the movie is not overscored. The main scenes seem to be well represented on the OST (judging by the track titles). There are a number of scenes in the middle and end sections that have no score at all. I think it all boils down to the editing or shortening of any of those cues on the album. Clearly there will some music left out, but I don't recall any major statements of the theme that don't seem to be on the OST. If any music is missing I would think it's from the first third of the movie when most of the music is in full gear.

I believe most of the discussion of overscoring seems to stem from the fact that there are a number of scenes where the music is really noticeable, especially right away, but it settles down after a while. I think it just left a strong impression on people that they couldn't shake.

Tim

People aren't used to hear real music in films that's it

The super loud MV stuff now sounds like generic wallpaper sound effect that people don't notice anymore

I'm planning to do an audio podcast featuring extensive reviews of both Tintin and War Horse for my website ColonneSonore.net--it will be in Italian language, but I'm thinking to do something in English as well.

Oh, by the way: War Horse is Williams at his peak. Period.

Oh, by the way: War Horse is Williams at his peak. Period.

From what I heard; you and me are in complete agreement. Music that tells a story only the way John Williams can..! ;)

And looking forward to your review!

The theme at 6.17 in Homecoming. Does anyone know if this is an original theme written by Williams, or a song from the play?

Apologies if this has been answered already.

LOL I asked that weeks ago. I guess we have to "accept" this is a Williams composition and I'm very happy about it. I think it's one of Williams most endearing themes. Ever. And one of his harmonically and melodically most pure. Love it.

The theme at 6.17 in Homecoming. Does anyone know if this is an original theme written by Williams, or a song from the play?

Apologies if this has been answered already.

Yes, it's Williams' theme.

It is a beautiful theme. I think it's my favourite in the whole score. I wonder what it refers to, as it's only heard in the last few tracks. It's possible that it's a lengthy development of the third theme heard in the trailer (the first three notes are the same)

That particular theme is a sign of how inteligently JW scores are built. I had heard before in the Homecoming track, obviously. But it never really struck a chord until I heard everything come full circle by listening to the two previous tracks. It's like it only made sense within the background of the other two tracks. It's symphonic, in a way

It is a separate theme, but based on the same basic shape. Actually, as with Tintin and a few other recent Williams scores, there's a strong sense of unity between the main melodic ideas. Basically, it is a matter of designing a "thematic universe", rather than designing a leitmotif or single melodic identity. At least three of the War Horse themes tend to climb towards the major third, either by steps or by arpeggio (just as in Tintin, the #4-5-8(1) movement is used as a general "investigatory" motif, and is shared by several of the main thematic ideas).

That particular theme is a sign of how inteligently JW scores are built. I had heard before in the Homecoming track, obviously. But it never really struck a chord until I heard everything come full circle by listening to the two previous tracks. It's like it only made sense within the background of the other two tracks. It's symphonic, in a way

It is indeed symphonic! Structure and development on a grander scale!

The piano solo rendition of the theme is gorgeous too, and took me by surprise a little bit.

I also love the "piano theme" from the beginning of the trailer, especially the flute statement early on in the score. The whole score is overall utterly fabulous and every bit as good as I was expecting. I think there are definitely more than 3 or 4 themes in there, I haven't managed to pick them all out yet but will probably wait until I see the film before getting over-familiar with the score.

Also, I was expecting to hear a bit more of the "bonding" theme after one reviewer said it was all over the score, but I felt the amount of times it was reprised was just right and never became even slightly repetetive.

There's somewhere in the Dartmoor music (possibly the first track) that reminds me of Air and Simple Gifts.

I agree with you.

And that fact that this century includes HP1 and HP3 is a testament to just how goddamn good of a composer Williams is.

It is very different from the typical John WIlliams in a drama mode. There are lushness and warmth to War Horse that have been absent from his writing for quite some time. I'm not trying to say his drama writing of the last few decades is cold and heartless, but War Horse seems to harken back to the older, more direct, way of doing things.

Karol

What you're trying to say is most of his dramatic output of late has been bland and drab.

Not exactly, they're just more cerebral than emotional. Whereas War Horse is a very emotional work for me. And unashamedly so. I wonder if this is why some reviews state the score is too present in the film?

Karol

The warmth and resonance of the music we're hearing for War Horse speaks well of the film as a whole I'm thinking. Probably no surprise for me to say that I guess but the film/music relationship evidenced in the selections available to us currently is inextricable in so many ways.

I love that there's a line we can draw from Jane Eyre to Images to Far and Away to Angela's Ashes to War Horse.

Does the 'catchiness' that we know JW works so hard to achieve with his 'main' themes have a partial root in his earliest work in jazz and popular music I wonder ? Along with how the action of a given film informs his decisions so too must his understanding of the 'formulae' that 'work' on an audience. Inspiration, precision and pragmatism combined.

It's a definite masterpiece! PoA is still a tiny bit better, although it is difficult to compare masterpiece to masterpiece. Being a JW fan always leads to this "problem" :)

By the way Jason, is the score free for discussion yet?

Warmed over Vaughn Williams lends a certain faux-elegance to the score, which otherwise traffics in the sort of shameless hokum that has made Williams such a perfect complement to director Steven Spielberg over the years.

This is middling Williams, somewhere in the vicinity of Amistad and The Patriot.

Some lovely passages, but I don't hear anything that rivals "Susan Speaks" from The Patriot.

It's a definite masterpiece! PoA is still a tiny bit better, although it is difficult to compare masterpiece to masterpiece.

I would you want to compare a WWI epic to a fantasy time travel adventure, though?

Compare WH to Saving Private Ryan, Angela's Ashes, The Patriot, Far and Away etc. Historical dramas, in other words.