Tintin Theme: Traditional Arrangement or Jazz Arrangement?

fommes

Tintin Theme Poll  

18 members have voted

1. 1. What would you prefer?

• "Tintin's Theme"
    • "The Adventures of Tintin"

Let's say, hypothetically, Williams also wrote a traditional concert arrangement of the Tintin theme, à la "Snowy's Theme". (By the way, I don't think you can hypothetically picture a 'longer' version of the theme; I think it would be more like "Snowy's Theme" and "The Adventure Continues", with variations on the Tintin motif.)

And you've been given the choice whether to put either that on the soundtrack, or "The Adventures of Tintin", the jazz arrangement of the theme. What would you choose to put on the album; what would you prefer listening to?

You can't have both: if you choose the traditional arrangement, you must imagine that you'll either never hear the first track, or it'll remain unreleased like Picking Pockets or so, frustratingly unobtainable without sfx.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not deny that a full blown concert arrangement of the youthful and adventuresome Tintin's theme would be a welcome one. But I do not know if I would trade it for the jazzy prologue music either. I find it entertainingly unique and creative way to open the score.

Oh btw I love the opening track so I wouldn't replace it. It's crucial to setting the mood. The full blown version wouldn't work as well in the title sequence.

Karol

Now we just have to get message to Sony so they can tell JW to write and record a concert arrangement so they can put in on iTunes as a bonus track. ;)

Help us John Williams, you're our only hope!

We should also include a list of KM's desperate and gloomy commentary on the missing concert arrangement to seal the deal.

Oh btw I love the opening track so I wouldn't replace it. It's crucial to setting the mood. The full blown version wouldn't work as well in the title sequence.

Karol

But you can't have both. You have to choose.

By the way - where do you select to see who voted on which option?

I'll go with what we've already got.

By the way - where do you select to see who voted on which option?

When you edit the poll's title there's a "make it a public poll" option to tick on the right.

Karol

The Adventures of Tintin is not an "arrangement", it's a cue.

True but would you like to hear a concert arrangement over this cue using fragments of Tintin's theme is the question.

Indeed. And I'd say it's both a cue, and a jazz variation on/arrangement of the theme at the same time.

When you edit the poll's title there's a "make it a public poll" option to tick on the right.

I must be blind - or I missed the time window in which to make it a public poll. Not that it matters, just wondering.

I really don't see how an inclusion of a concert arrangement of the main theme would somehow have to replace "The Adventures Of Tintin", either in the film or on the CD.

"The Adventures Of Tintin" is a wonderful opening.

"Tintin's Theme" - the more traditional concert arrangement - could have perfectly been placed at the end of the soundtrack, during the end credits, the third track, or whatever. One does certainly not exclude the other.

I really don't see how an inclusion of a concert arrangement of the main theme would somehow have to replace "The Adventures Of Tintin"

Sigh.

I really don't see how an inclusion of a concert arrangement of the main theme would somehow have to replace "The Adventures Of Tintin"

Sigh.

Yeah, I didn't really read your first post. Sorry there. ;)

I have no problem with the jazz arrangement, it was probably appropriate with the opening titles, but a concert arrangement for Tintin's Theme in the end credits would've been awesome. Then follow it up with the Scroll theme and then the Adventure Continues cue. That would make one sick end credits suite.

I'd want it the way it is. The theme is good, but it isn't great (and I don't think it ever tries to be). I much prefer the ornamental jazzy material to the statements of the actual theme in this track. Also I don't think a symphonic concert arrangement of the theme would be as new of a territory for Williams as the actual track is.

I think if this score had come out in the early eighties when Williams was pumping out heroic themes left and right, I would have wanted the jazz arrangement more. but since it has been decades since we have gotten a full-bodied heroic theme from him, I would now prefer a lenghtly heroic piece for Tintin.

Couldn't disagree more. It's my favorite track on the CD so far.

Hmmm, yes. Either people like this or dislike it. There seems to be no middle ground here...

I like it, but I don't think it's one of the stronger tracks. But I will reserve my final judgment until I have seen the movie.

I'd love a traditional arrangement of Tintin's theme.

As it is, I prefer Ray Parker's theme over the jazz arrangement.

I'm prepared to be stoned to death.

I personally detest Ray Parker's theme. It seems suited for an early '80's soap opera, certainly not the thematic signal for an adventurous reporter like Tintin. Boy am I glad Spielberg never even considered letting Williams adopt this music, just like I am really glad Peter Jackson never suggested Howard Shore to adopt any music from the LOTR animated film. That music was not bad, but in all fairness: did it really captivate the mythos of Middle Earth well--? Totally NOT, just like Parker's music doesn't captivate the youthful spirit of Tintin at all.

Ray Parker's music was fitting maybe for a cheaply made cartoon on TV... but for the expensive, ultra-modern Spielberg-directed movie, something else was needed.

I personally detest Ray Parker's theme. It seems suited for an early '80's soap opera, certainly not the thematic signal for an adventurous reporter like Tintin.

Oh, really? And you think the jazz arrangement sound like the thematc signal for an adventurous reporter like Tintin? Give me a massive break!

No, I'm not a big fan of the jazz arrangement, but I DO like the theme as presented in the rest of the score. That's why I've always said I'd like to hear a concert arrangement a la 'The Raiders March' of the Tintin Theme.

I personally detest Ray Parker's theme. It seems suited for an early '80's soap opera, certainly not the thematic signal for an adventurous reporter like Tintin.

Oh, really? And you think the jazz arrangement sound like the thematc signal for an adventurous reporter like Tintin? Give me a massive break!

No, I'm not a big fan of the jazz arrangement, but I DO like the theme as presented in the rest of the score. That's why I've always said I'd like to hear a concert arrangement a la 'The Raiders March' of the Tintin Theme.

OK, my bad. I extrapolated from what you said.

No problem..!

I think the biggest difference in approach between Parker and Williams is the use of a minor key (in Parker's case) and the use of a major key (in Williams') case.

Parker chose a minor key for Tintin, thus making it somewhat overly melodramatic. I think to have a minor key identify a main heroic character works in Harry Potter or a more darker toned superhero film (Batman), but seriously, Tintin..?

I think Williams is so good in writing powerful themes in a major key; in fact, he's one of the few composers who can still do it. I can assure you, these days, it's really rare to have a theme in a major key for such a film. That's why I don't like the theme for a film like Sam Raimi's 'Spiderman'.... 'cause it's in a minor key (something that is not conveyed well enough by the tone of the rest of the film, which isn't that dark or dramatic). I can name countless of examples. X Men... minor key. Even 'Pirates Of The Caribbean'... minor key. These are pretty lighthearted films, but... minor keys... Williams always wrote his big heroic themes in a major key: Star Wars, Superman, Indiana Jones, and now Tintin. The Tintin Theme appears mostly in G Major. It's so hard to write something like that, while it's a lot more easy to write something 'cool sounding' in A minor.

In that regard, Parker's theme was somewhat revolutionary. It opted for a minor key to accompany a pretty straighforeward heroic reporter. But was is visionary..? No, of course not. It was just incompetence on Parker's part. He didn't have a clue what suits a hero like Tintin. The fact that there's a generation out there that somehow interlinks his stupid theme with the wonderous, rich world of Hergé's Tintin spawning more than half a century is pretty much beyond me.

After seeing the movie and seeing this piece working within the brilliant title sequence, I must confirm it's really great and spot-on.

You know what's really great? Williams used a kind of typewriter-like rhythmic pattern on the bass line (which is based on Tintin's B theme) that opens the piece and when I saw the opening credits I was really impressed at how he really got that perfectly.