I would like this to be an all inclusive thread for Apple news and related products.

I mentioned not too long ago, in the RIP Steve Jobs thread I think, about how in the future we'll have home appliances made by Apple. It seems we're not so far off.

Nick Bilton of the NY Times discusses Apple's future in the television market. If, or rather when, this happens, it's going to be fucking incredible.

Their vision for Apple TV never really became what they wanted, and never caught on with people in general. It's basically just iTunes for your television. Making an actual television is a logical next step in that form factor for them.

There are seemingly too many Apple threads here, though. Maybe they ought to be grouped into one, I dunno.

I agree. All though I'm guilty for making some of them, then again I think most everyone here generally has made an Apple related thread at some point. Whether it had to do with iTunes problems, problems with iPod, iPhone or whatever.

Too many Apple threads? Isn't that a bit like having too many bacon threads?

Apples are healthy, though. Too much bacon can cause an increased risk of heart disease and diabetes. I would be concerned with the overall health of the board.

Bacon is the elixer of life, especially after a nights hard drinking!

Muslims the world over are looking perplexed right now :)

Apples are ok on their own I hear, but in those convenient 'juice drinks' like 'Innocent' I hear some doctors say they are an excessive fructose intake?

Muslims the world over are looking perplexed right now :)

They are barking up the wrong tree. Lack of bacon and lack of foreskin is why there is so much strife in the Middle East. (maybe a cut foreskin looks a bit like a tiny strip of Bacon...)

Apples are ok on their own I hear, but in those convenient 'juice drinks' like 'Innocent' I hear some doctors say they are an excessive fructose intake?

Apples make Cider, which is the reason I sometimes need Bacon....

Thats a lie!

Bacon is the elixer of life, especially after a nights hard drinking!

Yes, just like Apple. I both listen to John Williams and post on the forum with their products! Wouldn't want to eat them though, toxic.

random post but my iPod Classic 80Gb and my Shure SE102 survived a trip into the washing machine

That's surprising considering a few months ago Jason posted and his iPod Classic 120gb (I think), got shot after he dropped it in the toilet.

Bloody hell!

I havent brought it to school with me lately, but that day I did and had it in my hoodie's pocket. When I got home, I did my laundry in a hurry including the said hoodie, completely forgetting that my iPod was still in it. And the hoodie being a slightly heavier piece of clothing, I didn't realize any immediate weight difference when tossing it in.

random post but my iPod Classic 80Gb and my Shure SE102 survived a trip into the washing machine

ah it's time you upgrade to the SE215

Big upgrade from the SE102?

That's surprising considering a few months ago Jason posted and his iPod Classic 120gb (I think), got shot after he dropped it in the toilet.

Well, I put it in a ziploc with a whole bunch of sillica gel packs and left it for nearly 5 days before plugging it in and trying to start it.

Big upgrade from the SE102?

Yes. You keep the clarity of the SE102 and get the true bass boost it needs (unlike the SE115 that added bass at the expense of clarity). I used the SE102/E2C for about 4 years so I know what I'm talking about

I've got it, but since when I initially loaded my iPod classic in 2008 I deleted all the music from my computer, I'm now in the midst of what will probably be several weeks of ripping my whole cd collection to my PC and matching/uploading it.

It's cool though, the music shows up on all my devices and is thus accessible anywhere I have a connection. That's worth the $25 to me, especially for when I'm teaching in school!

This does look like a clone for a change.

But the design doesn't depend on Android, and Google provides only the system (not even necessarily directly - it's open source, any manufacturer can use it, Google doesn't even have to be informed about it), not the hardware. The hardware manufacturer can get into trouble.

The iPod design is a mix of (1) things that simply make sense (rectangular, flat, thin, rounded edges), (2) are considered modern design (black or white, shiny, rounded edges) and (3) a bit of actual custom design (round button with square icon... although Sony did that first on their PS controllers).

Patenting/copyrighting category (1) is like Mercedes patenting the wheel. Patenting (2) is like Renault patenting Bezier surface. But (3), a single button with that exact design on a device that otherwise also (because of (1) and (2) looks very much like Apple's) is at least to some extent something that screams "iPad".

I don't have any Apple products (yet). Although they are admittedly somewhat cool and classy, I find them far too expensive. Someday, I might get an iPhone or an iPod provided I find some good bargain somewhere ... :P

I bought a new iPod Nano 7th Generation. I have previously owned several iPod Classics and two 6th Generation Nanos. I wasn't really feeling the redesign of the Nano, but I caved because I lost my 6th Gen.

I have historically had mostly good experiences with Apple music players. I really dug my old Classics, but after they redesigned them years ago, I basically despised them. I think it was the 6th Generation where they fucked up. The sound quality was poor, music would constantly skip during playback, the interface sucked (multi-disc view suddenly became a giant list of track and they were basically really buggy (ie navigation was slow and the whole thing would freeze up). It wasn't just mine, either, as I replaced it and had the same issues.

I didn't have any use for the extremely low capacity of a shuffle or the mediocre capacity of the larger overpriced iPod Touch...I'm not sure who that one is for, but they still make it. I liked the 6th Generation Nano. Capacity wasn't great, but it was an intuitive, perfectly-sized portable player with excellent sound quality. I had some issues, such as the buttons (which eventually broke) and the font size/layout when viewing on the small screen, which cut off important information in playlist, album and track titles. But it was a good portable music player and I got years of usage out of it.

The latest Nano feels like a step down to me. I'm not really sure what they were going for here with the redesign. It seems to be more than twice the length of the 6th Gen, but the same capacity. Let's add more gigs to this baby. The screen is longer, but that seems pointless. It's like they were trying to emulate the iPhone, but it's very weird. The screen is still just as narrow as the 6th Gen and cuts off information, which is a huge annoyance for albums and playlists. I have to abbreviate the titles. This is kind of horrible, especially since they made the screen longer, yet you're unable to spin the display as with the 6th Gen so it can be viewed horizontally. Then, you could actually read the titles of albums and playlists beyond a couple words. Heck, even the ability to just reduce the text size would be helpful here.

Still, navigation is easy with the exception of the aforementioned title cutoff, which is the source of all my troubles. It's lightning fast. Sound quality is great. There's no longer a clip, which seems trivial, but it made the last generation even more portable. That thing really came in handy. I think this one is intended to be placed in the little pocket on the front of your jeans and it does fit in there pretty perfectly. I kinda like this a lot. It sticks out enough that your headphones can plug in outside the pocket and the wiring won't be fatigued. We'll see how it goes with this one.

I just listen to everything on my smartphone now instead of needing a separate device for music - its already in my pocket anyway. Bluetooth headphones + 128gb microSD cards for the win.

I'm in the process of converting my collection from WAV to mp3 so I can fit more music on the Nano. 16GB really is enough if you do that (and I do so begrudgingly), but I would gladly take more so I can just dump everything on there in WAV. Will I hear the difference between 320 and 256? Apple doesn't allow you to convert to anything higher when adding to devices for some reason. Another stupid limitation.

Justin, there's no need to convert to mp3 yourself. Just check off the checkbox that shows up when your nano is plugged in, the one that says something like 'convert to 128kbps AAC for device" or something like that. iTunes will automatically put AAC versions onto the ipod while still playing the WAVs when you're at the computer.

Stefancos is correct.

AAC is a significantly more advanced encoding scheme than mp3, which is from the 90s! A 256kbps AAC is roughly the same as a 320kbps mp3.

I don't like the iPod Touch. It isn't remotely portable. It'd be no different than when I was putting the iPod Classic in my ass pocket. I want portability.

Uh okay if you say so.