CGI re-tinkering of Jurassic Park? A good idea?

King Mark

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am starting to doubt that Lucasfilm still have untouched versions of these films anymore

I'd bet money that they don't.

I have to agree with Jason, I don't think they do either. Otherwise they would have given the theatrical prints a proper restoration and released them as part of the Blu-Ray packaging.

in order to do the SEs they havd to clean the whole unaltered negative.

I dont think they would destroy that negative.

By the least, a digitized version of it must have been preserved, since some SEs effect were upgraded, and you cant just update the textures.

Im sure the should have pasted the new models in unaltered footage.

I think they have the negative. If you watch the Blu-Ray documentary on the SEs (I think it was the Anatomy of a Dewback), they explain the pain-staking process they went through to restore the original film before making modifications. What I realized more than anything was just how difficult it is to do a restoration project of that magnitude. It's not like they can just pop open a film canister and run it through a xerox machine. I think they will release the theatrical versions in a couple of years.

Apparently they did alter the original negatives for the SE's., The only hope is that prints of the original versions still exist within LFL vaults.

I wouldn't count on the second part of your post.

It's a bit discouraging to know that they did alter the original negatives. Lucas should have had a copy of those made for preservation and historical reasons. That way when he died, someone could remaster the theatrical prints properly and restore them on a high def format.

I feel like Lucas definitely kept older versions in some form and not simply Laserdisc.

Lucas saves everything. This is how the Special Editions could be done to begin with. I doubt he would have suddenly changed his ways, even if he did turn into kind of a crappy filmmaker.

Can you 'paste' a CGI effect in a original negative? Dont you have to scan it, add the new things on the computer and then transfer the mixed result to a negative???

I dont know anything about film.

Aobut the lost destroyed negatives.

Remember guys that the negatives of the Star Wars OT deleted scenes were destroyed for decades untill they had to but a worth-purchase bonus on the Blurays...

The CGI in JURASSIC PARK still looks more realistic than the stuff trotted out today.

Agreed.

Besides, complaining about the CGI dinos in Jurassic Park is a little like complaining that E.T. doesn't look quite real!

I have to agree with Jason, I don't think they do either. Otherwise they would have given the theatrical prints a proper restoration and released them as part of the Blu-Ray packaging.

The theatrical cuts not being on blu-ray are down to GL's vision that his new versions are "his original vision!" so whether they exist or not, they were never going to be on there.

Even if the negs are gone, I imagine there are more than a few private collectors out there who have prints in their collection. So when George dies let's hope one of them steps up to the plate.

So question (and sorry if this has been addressed here before):

On the Blu-Ray editions of JP and TLW, how long are the features on JW? Is there footage of him actually conducting the orchestra?

On the Blu-Ray editions of JP and TLW, how long are the features on JW? Is there footage of him actually conducting the orchestra?

Or Artie Kane conducting the orchestra....

Very short. Not much more than what's been posted online. He has some additional comments about the kitchen scene. His comments about Lost World don't even seem to be specifically in regard to that score. There's not much of anything, again, beyond what's on YouTube.