Check out my review of War Horse on FMM

Koray Savas

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice review Koray. I think it is easily the best score of the year. It's like everything Williams is best at all combined into one score.

Nice review Koray. I think it is easily the best score of the year. It's like everything Williams is best at all combined into one score.

Yes. Even those 3 preview tracks heard on the radio show confirmed that. :)

But it's like that throughout. It's a JOHN WILLIAMS SCORE through and through - every note is just so Williams. But it never sounds like any specific existing score... its so fresh. It's somehow the best of Williams while being fresh at the same time... a remarkable achievement.

http://www.filmmusic...nwilliamsreview

Great! Thanks Koray!

Please tell me: the theme heard at 6:18 of The Homecoming, does it appear at other instances on the soundtrack? Is it a recurring theme of the score? Thanks so much for letting me know!

But it's like that throughout. It's a JOHN WILLIAMS SCORE through and through - every note is just so Williams. But it never sounds like any specific existing score... its so fresh. It's somehow the best of Williams while being fresh at the same time... a remarkable achievement.

Yes that's exactly how I'd describe it. Sounds very different, but it's Williams.

I couldn't even tell you which track is my favorite, because the entire CD is terrific from the first note to the last.

I couldn't even tell you which theme is my favorite, because they are all terrific. Even the times a recurring theme is not playing, it seems like each track has its own melodies that are good enough to be themes on their own... only they don't appear again. The score is just pure bliss from beginning to end.

Please tell me: the theme heard at 6:18 of The Homecoming, does it appear at other instances on the soundtrack? Is it a recurring theme of the score? Thanks so much for letting me know!

I don't immediately recognize it but there's so much going on on this CD there's a lot to take in.

I don't immediately recognize it but there's so much going on on this CD there's a lot to take in.

I can't speak for the OST, but there is a piano rendition of this material in the movie.

it's the trailer theme

it's the trailer theme

That's not the theme I meant.

2001 saw Williams scoring some magnificent melodic homeruns for both Harry Potter (Hedwig's Theme) and A.I. (Monica's Theme and The Blue Fairy Theme). I don't think he's written anything else since that can really compete with the sort of themes he used to spin off so effortlessly up through the early '90s.

it's the trailer theme

That's not the theme I meant.

it seems like a continuation of the theme,like the B theme or something

That "theme" at 6.18 in The Homecoming is the same as in the Trailer 2 (the loud ending section that's looped). The melody is the same but it has an "inverted" note

That "theme" at 6.18 in The Homecoming is the same as in the Trailer 2 (the loud ending section that's looped). The melody is the same but it has an "inverted" note

No, that theme is the Celtic theme (heard in full in The Homecoming). It is melodically and structurally very different from the theme at 6:16.

It does continue after it, but I don't recall hearing it anywhere else on the album.

The theme heard at 6:16 of The Homecoming appears during track 15 played on piano (as heard in one of the samples).

I can't wait to hear this, you're all making it sound wonderful!

The three full tracks that we're made available really speak volumes for it already, it's gorgeous. It's sounding like its going to be the kind of score I've been hoping to hear for a long time, an honest to goodness breath of fresh air.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.filmmusic...nwilliamsreview

I was asking myself the same question when I heard that theme ... I want a full concert version of it! I was afraid it was the only time it appeared, but it appears twice more on the preceding two tracks--one is a piano rendition, and another is a full orchestral reference. I guess it's like how Williams had that cool theme in the Reunion in Sleepers.