Film Score Monthly (FSM) Releases Gremlins (2CD) by Jerry Goldsmith!!!

Jay

You wouldn't really think that a rag like that, hearing it on its own, would work in a pretty dark horror-type film but it does. The movie definitely crosses over toward the middle part just enough where Goldsmith can go a bit crazy.

Tim

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of the tracks that appeared on the OST in the isolated were edited down a bit, especially "Rebirth". Luckily with the 5.1 rip I was able to separate "Finish The Job" and "He's Here" like they were meant to be. In the isolated score they tracked source music between the two cues.

It would be nice to have The Mummy given a proper 2-CD release.

THE SHADOW knows what evil lurks in the hearts of Universal's licensing department. This is much more urgent than THE MUMMY or UNDER FIRE. STAR TREK is another such score that just won't go away, although apart from the alternate theme the Sony album really nailed it.

THE SHADOW knows what evil lurks in the hearts of Universal's licensing department. This is much more urgent than THE MUMMY or UNDER FIRE. STAR TREK is another such score that just won't go away, although apart from the alternate theme the Sony album really nailed it.

I forgot about The Shadow. Excellent score.

With this. Silvestri's Overboard score finally released. The La La Land's upcoming Black Friday releases, And whatever Intrada's got up their sleeves for the rest of the year. It looks like Nov. and Dec.is going to be tight with money. It pains me to do it but I'm definitely putting this on hold since it's unlimited.

Oh yeah and January might be tight too b/c of the F13 1-6 scores finally being released.

I hope this thing ships out real soon. :D Is it odd of them to have released it on a Thursday, or did they do it so if they shipped now some would get it by Saturday or by Monday too? Hmmm...

I'm glad to be rid of my hissy footwarmer of this, but I won't deny that it was one of my favorite footwarmers for the longest time. I remember when I was so excited to have some clean version of the score to listen to, as washed out and hiss-infested as it was. Even though it wasn't the entire score I actually thought the tracks that were chosen were mostly the best ones, although I always wanted the entire thing of course. I think I even heard another footwarmer once that was "complete", but it was BEYOND horrible in quality, and didn't even listen to it all the way through.

So, thank you Mogwai Records... you were my best friend for a good many years, but now it is time for the friendship to come to an end.

*delete*

Oh, hey there FSM! :D

This also takes off probably one of the biggest (if not THE biggest) holy grail off my list (well... not including expanded versions of Williams released like Hook, JP, TLW, and Harry Potter 2 and 3). The only one really remaning for me now is a complete/remastered RETURN TO OZ (Intrada?). However, at least that one had a very nice (though rare) album presentation, unlike Gremlins!

It's been ages since I've seen the film. Can someone elaborate on what the difference between these 3 tracks are?

21. After Theatre 1:39

29. After Theatre (With "Silent Night") 1:36

30. After Theatre (Without "Silent Night") 1:36

Anyone?

Hmmmm, should I get this? I am not sure yet. Yes, I love the movie The Gremlins, but is the score that good?

I am buying 5 CDs within 2 months already...

Midway

Tintin

War Horse

Night Watch

Yes, listening to them now...

The music is good, yes, but I suspect that, if I buy this, I will listen to this once and then it will become another "dust collector."

Kinda like Poltergeist. I haven't listened to that one for, what? Two, three years?

It's been ages since I've seen the film. Can someone elaborate on what the difference between these 3 tracks are?

Anyone?

I wonder why they spelled it "theatre" and not "theater"...!?

:P

Wow that's too bad, Poltergeist is fantastic!

Well, I guess I have listened to "Carol Ann's Theme" a couple of times, but still... that's no "The Adventure Continues!"

The whole score (Poltergeist) is good - I'd give it another chance!

If the samples of Gremlins don't do it for you, don't feel the need to rush out and buy it, especially since it's an unlimited release. You never know what limited releases could be coming out by LLL, Intrada, Varese Club, or FSM before the New Year.

Hmmm, yes.

I guess I will wait a couple of weeks. But I guess I am not THAT crazy about Jerry Goldsmith... Sad but true.

I only have 4 OS albums from him (although I have listened to many others):

Poltergeist

Basic Instinct

Dennis the Menace

Alien

Basic Instinct and Alien are two of my favorites! I also highly recommend FSM's Twilight Zone: The Movie, Varese's Total Recall: The Deluxe Edition, and Varese's Omen boxset all before Gremlins. Though Gremlins is great too!

I agree with Steef that Star Trek The Motion Picture is the next one...all though not the last on my list.

There are several other scores I'd love to see in complete form but I know some of them Varèse owns and I really won't expect them to release the complete versions. IF they did I would hate to see how they would appear..truncated and such.

A complete version of Star Trek Generations will be most welcomed. Honestly I'm a bit more surprised that one or Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home have never leaked in full form like most of the other scores have.

A complete version of Star Trek Generations will be most welcomed. Honestly I'm a bit more surprised that one or Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home have never leaked in full form like most of the other scores have.

Isn't there only a few minutes unreleased from Voyage? It'd be nice to have a better package and sound, though - I'd love to see liner notes like with Khan and Spock.

But I'd really love an expanded Generations. I remember waiting for months for the score to be released on CD after the movie premiered, then being disappointed that some of my favorite parts were not included (specifically, the complete "sparkling" music surrounding the launch of the rocket). The opening theme - or lack of - was very striking, accompanied by that floating bottle image. And "A Christmas Hug" is one of my most favorite Trek score cues.

For me, now that we know Quo Vadis and Conan the Destroyer are coming from Tadlow and the original Conans from Intrada, my last grails are the following...

- The Ten Commandments

- FSM Ben-Hur

- Hook

- The Williams/Oliver Stone scores

If those get releases, I'll be happy.

Other things that would be nice to have but I don't really need?

- Braveheart

- Titanic

- A. I.

- E.T.

- The prequels

- Original recording of To Kill a Mockingbird

- Theif of Baghdad rerecording

And that's about it!

Can somebody tell me the highlight tracks of Gremlins cause i don't know neither film nor score? Is it worth it? What is your opinion/review of the score (OST/Film)?

I will make a bigger Goldsmith order sometimes soon with "The First Knight" and "The Explorers" which will bring my Goldsmith album count to three then (the only one i have is the fabulous Star Trek V expanded). So if Gremlins is good i maybe order it too...

Anyone?

On the first track "Silent Night" begins after 26 seconds, on the second track it begins at the start of the cue and on the last track it isn't inlcuded.

Anyone?

According to the liner notes, there were two versions - one with Silent Night and one without. The Film version is an amalgam of the two. Tracks 29 & 30 are the separate versions with and without Silent Night.