Which JW scores let you feel summer, winter, fall and spring?

SF1_freeze

Which John Williams scores give you the feeling of each of the four yearly seasons with its corresponding weather, cultural and climate conditions? What scores make you feel the hot and exotic time of summer, the rainy and misty time of fall, the snow and spirituality of winter or the lush and flowery time of spring?

I'm really curious what you will choose...

My number one JW scores which make me feel each season:

1) Fall: This has to be "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban".

The music like the film perfectly describes the melancholy and the silent beauty of fall as well as the foggy rainy weather

2) Winter: Ok, this is a no brainer... of course the JW Christmas masterpiece "Home Alone"

3) Spring: This is a hard one, i would say "Always"

4) Summer: It has to be JW's best exotic score in his career "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom" (second choice for summer would be jaws2)

Hm...

Winter - One of the Home Alone scores, or even Seven Hears in Tibet. Tibet has those restless low string triplet lines and all that really remind me of winter storms and all.

Spring - This ones tough...maybe Stanley and Iris? It's that flute solo.

Summer - Born on the Fourth of July has a nice late summer sound, I think. Though, emotionally I equate it more with early/mid Autumn, just as the leaves are starting to turn, but there's still a lot of green around. Maybe The Patriot?

Fall - Early/mid Fall, like I said, BOTFOJ. The Accidental Tourist has a rainy day in the fall sort of sound. The Magic of Halloween from ET definitely reminds me of mid/late fall. The River sort of reminds me of fall too.

Winter: A.I., Family Plot, Schindler's List, Black Sunday (for some reason)

Spring: Far And Away, Seven Years In Tibet

Summer: Jaws, Jurassic Park, Star Wars

Autumn: Angela's Ashes (easy), Jane Eyre, Stepmom

Karol

Stepmom and Schindler's List are good ones, can't believe I forgot about those!

Fall is a very nostalgic season, I think. So scores like Born on the Fourth of July or Stepmom or Accidental Tourist, for me at least, are some of the best scores to represent the season.

STEPMOM definitely has an autumn feel, yes.

It's not something I very often think about, but now that you mention it, there may be certain seasonal connotations tied to various scores.

In my opinion the darker and warmer the texture of the score, the better it fits a colder season. The cooler and lighter the texture of a score the better it fits warmer seasons. Older recordings fit better with cooler seasons than new digital recordings for example.

So something like Minority Report, despite being attached to a sci-fi movie and technology, has the dark rich strings all around that make it perfect for winter/Holiday listening.

Something like the Summon the Heroes, with harsher/cold brass, lighter tone, is perfect for the summer.

I'd actually say John Williams music as a whole fits better with the colder seasons than it does with warmer seasons.

Off the top of my head, warning I will edit this as things come to me:

Fall/Winter:

Memoirs of a Geisha

Home Alone

Minority Report

Sorcerer's Stone

Chamber of Secrets

Prisoner of Azkaban

Monsignor

Seven Years in Tibet

The Last Crusade

The Empire Strikes Back

Schindler's List

Close Encounters

ET

AI

Nixon

JFK

The Fury

Spring/Summer

Star Wars

Return of the Jedi

The Phantom Menace

Attack of the Clones

Jaws (closer to Fall...just because of the warm old recording)

Temple of Doom

The Lost World

The Patriot

Jurassic Park

Fall - Prisoner of Azkaban, Munich, Memoirs of a Geisha

Winter - Schindler's List, Home Alone, The Terminal

Spring - Far and Away, War Horse (so far)

Summer - The Cowboys, Jurassic Park: The Lost World

In my opinion the darker and warmer the texture of the score, the better it fits a colder season. The cooler and lighter the texture of a score the better it fits warmer seasons. Older recordings fit better with cooler seasons than new digital recordings for example.

So something like Minority Report, despite being attached to a sci-fi movie and technology, has the dark rich strings all around that make it perfect for winter/Holiday listening.

Something like the Summon the Heroes, with harsher/cold brass, lighter tone, is perfect for the summer.

I'd actually say John Williams music as a whole fits better with the colder seasons than it does with warmer seasons.

That's another way to see it but what i meant are the JW scores where you can "feel" a specific season in most parts of the music. That doesn't mean you have to listen to it in the same season.

For example i don't listen to "PoA" in a specific season but still "feel" the fall/autumn atmosphere while listening to the music...

Which John Williams scores give you the feeling of each of the four yearly seasons with its corresponding weather, cultural and climate conditions? What scores make you feel the hot and exotic time of summer, the rainy and misty time of fall, the snow and spirituality of winter or the lush and flowery time of spring?

I'm really curious what you will choose...

Interesting!

Winter: Home Alone, Prisoner of Azkaban, Schindler's List

Spring: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (dunno why, but maybe because of the establishing shot of the college or even Elsa), The Patriot

Summer: Jurassic Park, Raiders, Jaws

Autumn: Munich, E.T., Angela's Ashes, Born on the Fourth of July

It has a lot to in my view do with the season when I heard the score or saw the movie for the first time, or with the atmosphere of the movie.

Winter: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, Call of the Champions, Seven Years in Tibet. I agree with ETandElliott about the 3 H's also.

Spring: Sabrina!

Summer: Jurassic Park, Far and Away, Always, A.I.

Fall: Angela's Ashes, Stepmom. Again Sabrina :)

Rest of JW scores don't fall in a specific season.

WINTER: Home Alone,Hook, Seven Years in Tibet,Poseidon Adventure

SPRING:Far and Away, The River,Stanley and Iris

SUMMER: Jurassic Park, Raiders

FALL: Accidental Tourist, Sleepers

This threat made me smile. I thought I was the only one who thought on these lines:)

For me:

Autumn: Amistad, Seven Years In Tibet, The Fury, Hook, Presumed Innocent, Fitzwilly, AI, HP, Stepmom, Cinderella Liberty, Sleepers, Horn Concerto, Schindler's List

Winter: Call of the Champions / American Journey,

Spring: Always, The Reivers, Tom Sawyer, Superman: The Movie, The Rare Breed.

Summer: JP, Indy (esp. Last Crusade), Star Wars (is that John Williams ? ), Far and Away, The Cowboys, The River,

This threat made me smile. I thought I was the only one who thought on these lines:)

It's always dangerous when a threaT make you smile. ;)

John Williams's music transcends all seasonal boundaries.

That's the easy way out ;). Just think it over, i'm sure you will also find JW scores where you predominantly feel one season

Autum: "Stanley And Iris", and "The Accidental Tourist".

I'm happy to listen to any J.W. any time, and anywhere, but I always play "Setting The Trap" on Christmas Eve, without fail. It gets me into that Christmassy vice...for about 3 minutes.

• 7 years later...