Who Does John Williams' Synths?

As most here will know, John Williams uses synth in almost all of his scores, usually very subliminally, to enhance certain orchestral details.

Does he have a regular guy who programs and performs his synth work? I can't imagine John Williams doing anything technical like that himself.

Randy Kerber performs most of the time.

He even did Tintin, but not the synths (harpsichord solo).

They also did Memoirs of a Geisha.

(John Sponsler and Tom Gire)

Synth in JW score are always performed along with the orchestra, never tracked. Randy Kerber usually does it, he normally does the keyboard solos.

I always thought he did them himself. Even that techno bit in A.I. (lame as it is).

I heard his son helped there (at least with the 'percussion').

There's a brief interview with the celeste/synth player for Sorcerer's Stone on YouTube. He mentions how he knew it was a difficult piece when JW gave him the music a few days in advance.

The celesta in his Harry Potter score I believe was not a real celesta, but rather a synth with some combined or modified celesta sounds, right? I think it was Randy Kerber.

I was a synth in synch with a real celesta.

There's a brief interview with the celeste/synth player for Sorcerer's Stone on YouTube. He mentions how he knew it was a difficult piece when JW gave him the music a few days in advance.

Also the violin runs are very diffcult to play even for advanced players.

In vein of the same subject, does anybody know if the oboe/organ riffs of the 1995 arrangement of The Conversation on the Williams and Williams album, are real instruments or in someway tracked or digitally speeded-up? Those oboe solos sound almost impossible. Also the (gorgeous!!) choir end sounds synthesized.

I always thought he did them himself. Even that techno bit in A.I. (lame as it is).

I must be the only person in the world who loves that part.

The celesta in his Harry Potter score I believe was not a real celesta, but rather a synth with some combined or modified celesta sounds, right? I think it was Randy Kerber.

Nope, it was sampled celeste with a ringing, decaying sine wave tone mixed in to give it a somewhat softer feel. Randy Kerber was indeed the one who performed it. The sheet music does call for real acoustic celeste, but only in one passage from one cue, oddly enough.

EDIT: And Williams almost always writes out the synth parts in great detail, but I'm sure he leaves the technical details to others. The man doesn't know how to use a computer.

Nope, it was sampled celeste with a ringing, decaying sine wave tone mixed in to give it a somewhat softer feel. Randy Kerber was indeed the one who performed it. The sheet music does call for real acoustic celeste, but only in one passage from one cue, oddly enough.

EDIT: And Williams almost always writes out the synth parts in great detail, but I'm sure he leaves the technical details to others. The man doesn't know how to use a computer.

Thanks, I must have remembered incorrectly. I am quite sure, as you also state, that it was Kerber's own idea to come up with this kind of a sound.

I think a nice example of how the synth parts are done by others is his acoustic version of For Always vs. the album rendition, which is a arrangement by William Ross.

I must be the only person in the world who loves that part.

Well, I'm a hardcore electronica fan (esp. goa and psytrance) and that little tidbit is just terribly transparent as composed by someone out of his element trying to approximate what he "thinks" constitutes techno. But it's just a few seconds, no big deal. And it has fun curiousity value.

I think for the War of Worlds prologue the synth stuff would have been prerecorded and then they overdub the orchestra with a click track to keep in time. In any case, whether the synth is performed live with the orchestra or not, a click track will normally be used to lock the music to picture.

Randy Kerber does practically all of the synthesizer programming for Williams - meaning the actual synthesizer parts ("Synth Celeste," "Synth Bells," etc.), not the material in Munich and Memoirs from the Magic Box folks. I actually had a conversation with Kerber about this, back in 2008; he said that Williams writes out the type of sound(s) he wants in the music and that he (Kerber) then crafts the sounds with Williams' approval. I wish I had had more time to chat with him about that...

Randy Kerber does practically all of the synthesizer programming for Williams - meaning the actual synthesizer parts ("Synth Celeste," "Synth Bells," etc.), not the material in Munich and Memoirs from the Magic Box folks. I actually had a conversation with Kerber about this, back in 2008; he said that Williams writes out the type of sound(s) he wants in the music and that he (Kerber) then crafts the sounds with Williams' approval. I wish I had had more time to chat with him about that...

Nice info!

So, referring to the OP, who does the magic box stuff for JW?

Those "electro pop" pieces that are in some of his scores (Return of the Jedi SE, A.I., etc...) are written by his son no? he might be involved a lot more with the smaller electronic pieces elsewhere.

Yes. In the music featurette on the War of the Worlds DVD Williams actually explains how he tries to write for an electronic instrument:

(@ 4:55)

• 1 year later...

This is an interesting topic. I'm listening to Home Alone a lot these days (holiday season), one of my favorite scores. There are so many variations of the celeste sound in there, and I've always been curious what's synth and what's not.

Yes. In the music featurette on the War of the Worlds DVD Williams actually explains how he tries to write for an electronic instrument:

That's a great featurette, I've seen it before, but always enjoy seeing these sorts of things again. (JW on the scoring stage). Also I never noticed, it appears to be Steven Spielberg @11:00 holding the video camera and talking to JW. Funny to think of world class director SS carrying around Sony Handicam, getting these scoring sessions on video. :)

This is an interesting topic. I'm listening to Home Alone a lot these days (holiday season), one of my favorite scores. There are so many variations of the celeste sound in there, and I've always been curious what's synth and what's not.

I think we can be quite confident that there's very little or no real celeste in there. Perhaps if we get complete sheet music, I'll be proven wrong, but consider HP:SS, which only has one minor passage (as far as I know) that calls for real celeste.

One logistical thing I've wondered about is whether the orchestra can hear what Randy's doing on his keyboard as they play. They'd have to either use speakers or headphones, and I figure the former is right out...anyone have any insight on this? From that video, it's clear that he's playing live along with the orchestra, in any case.