One Hit Wonder Directors

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stephen Sommers and his The Mummy. While I'm not exactly the biggest supporter of this movie, it is enjoyable in a campy kind of way and I'd take it anyday over something like POTC.

I've also really loved his The Jungle Book since I was a kid. Just a really solid family adventure film, with a great period flavor.

After Donnie Darko he directed Southland Tales and The Box. Were they no good?

You're damn right they were no good!

Andrew Niccol with Gattaca. After that he lost it completely.

Michael Cimino with The Deer Hunter. (although personally I do love Year Of The Dragon and I want to see the long version of Heaven's Gate)

Not really a one hit wonder but I like to mention James Ivory. Two-times genius with Remains Of The Day and Howards End. The rest of his extensive resume is a whole lot less.

Mary Harron with American Psycho.

Wolfgang Petersen with Das Boot. He has other hits but only made one brilliant film. The rest is garbage.

George Lucas has several hits to his name so he doesn't count.

Tim Burton has been a genius twice at least.

Open Range was quite good, actually. It has one of the best gun fights I've ever seen put to film. The only thing that drags it down a bit was the pseudo-love story between the Costner and Bening characters. Aside from that, I like it.

Very true.

Though not a hit (although it was in Japan), I can't help but be reminded of Walter Murch directing RETURN TO OZ. It is actually the only film he has ever directed. However, he is pretty famous for film editing (even has at least one Oscar for it, I believe). And for those who have seen it, it really is a very underrated film that deserved a better reception.

Oh, but more in line with this thread, how about Joe Dante with GREMLINS? Sure he did some other good films, including Gremlins 2, but none of them came as close to being as successful or as good overall. :D Hell, the last flick he made (The Hole) never even got released in the states (already on Blu Ray elsewhere, and was even shown in 3D). What happened there? I say the curse of no longer having Goldsmith as a composer. :(

Jonathan Mostow made the cracking little hitchcockian thriller The Breakdown, but sunk shortly after with that U-571 garbage. He didn't make a recovery with Terminator 3, either. Jan de Bont is another, and Barry Sonnenfeld.

Wolfgang Petersen is in no way a one hit wonder. This has nothing to do with your personal preference of which films you liked and didn't like, or whether you consider the director to only have one good film.

This is about having objectively successful films, not fading away into obscurity, and not having only one film in your entire body of work that doesn't jive.

In the Line of Fire is a great film. The Neverending Story is a very popular and often played movie that a lot of people consider a classic children's movie, Outbreak was successful in the box office.

Wolfgang Petersen is in no way a one hit wonder. This has nothing to do with your personal preference of which films you liked and didn't like, or whether you consider the director to only have one film.

This is about having successful films, fading away into obscurity, or having only one film in your entire body of work that doesn't jive.

In the Line of Fire is a great film. The Neverending Story is a very popular and often played movie that a lot of people consider a classic children's movie, Outbreak was successful in the box office.

Das Boot, anyone? One of the alltime classic movies.

As I said earlier, this will always be about personal, subjective evaluations -- unless you put box office returns as your sole criterion for success.

Wolfgang Petersen is in no way a one hit wonder. This has nothing to do with your personal preference of which films you liked and didn't like, or whether you consider the director to only have one good film.

Yeah, but following these restricted rules would make this thread too boring for me to participate in it. Others may confine to financial success but I will talk about their artistic success as well. Sorry but this is JWfan.com where everything is possible. :cheer: And so, yes, artistically speaking, Wolfgang Petersen is known to be that one hit wonder (Das Boot). Really, who cares how much money his garbage has made?!

Alex

Alex is sort of right. Das Boot is Wolfgang's MASTERPIECE. His other are mostly well-made genre films, without the depth.

Doesn't mean he belongs in this thread though. He's made two other movies, which whilst not being exactly ground-breaking, earth-shattering bona fide masterpieces, are still two terrific pieces of entertainment. That they might be genre flicks is irrelevant.

Jan de Bont is another, and Barry Sonnenfeld.

These two popped in my head earlier, but I quickly realized they aren't, in my book. Love Big Trouble to death, and Men In Black is great. With De Bont, how can you not love Speed and Twister?

Jan de Bont is another, and Barry Sonnenfeld.

These two popped in my head earlier, but I quickly realized they aren't, in my book. Love Big Trouble to death, and Men In Black is great. With De Bont, how can you not love Speed and Twister?

Agreed!

It was good, but brilliant?

I think so. It was hugely influential for the action genre and somewhat of a contemporary masterpiece in the same genre. Scholars have written up and down about it over the last 20 years.

I also think TWISTER is a bloody entertaining flick. Now that i think about it, so was SPEED 2 and LARA CROFT: CRADLE OF LIFE.

THE HAUNTING I could live perfectly happy without, though.

Why?

I don't understand what useful knowledge is gained from identifying one hit wonders. It seems to me that this thread is only useful to those who want to point out flaws in other people. I just don't get it. This thread is a knock on people who have put their heart and soul into their work.

I can understand if you want to start a thread "George Lucas is a one hit wonder." I don't agree with it, but at least it starts some discussion and maybe some minds can be changed about that -- some gain might be realized from such a thread. But this thread is targeted at pure negativity. I don't get it.

Why?

I don't understand what useful knowledge is gained from identifying one hit wonders....

I don't think anyone's replying with the idea of having an some earth shattering revelation. It's a topic of interest to promote general discussion on a message board. Don't read too much into it.

Tim