The Adventures of Tintin - Complete Cue List and Complete Score Analysis

Jay

:crymore:

Well.. maybe if we had... I don't know... The cue sheet, or something... we could... you know, find out what was originally planned...

:(:crymore::(:crymore::(:crymore:

Now that's the spirit! When in doubt BloodBoal always use that kind of language, suppositions, guesses etc. Don't go boasting about fanfares and choirs if you do not know that for a fact. So think all who live to see such times. But less crying emoticons next time perhaps, you are taking this way too hard even though film cue detective work is serious business.

Either BloodBoal is really in touch with his emotions and can admit that in full view of the forum or he is just a kid lost in a grown men's harsh unreal world of internet film music analysis. Either way his reaction is making me tear up a bit. :crymore:

Oh no BloodBoal! :o After you posted that, the choir's site has removed the 2nd paragraph! It must have been some kind of secret contractual thing and now they must go underground since you blew their clandestine Hollywood connection! They will be hunted and persecuted and executed and prosecuted and not in that order but anyway they are in trouble because you blew the whistle!

Either BloodBoal is really in touch with his emotions and can admit that in full view of the forum or he is just a kid lost in a grown men's harsh unreal world of internet film music analysis. Either way his reaction is making me tear up a bit. :crymore:

now kiss!

Ewwww! Alice how could you?! I mean really! This is a serious thread and you keep trying to derail it with all kind of making up making out. Just ewwww!

From this point of view it is a shame the FYC album contained music as heard in the film since it would have been great to hear the pieces as written, not including all the micro edits and tracking. Capturing the Plane in particular seems to crescendo towards something terrific only to be cut short by that tracked segment.

The reason Tintin might not SEEM too messed up is because the OST retained a lot of the editing done for the final film. But when the compare the final results to the sheet music its a clustercuddle

Ah so Williams original intentions VS what ended up in the film were vastly different? It is interesting to note that 20 years ago we would have been so much happier with what we had because these days all this "in the process" and behind the scenes knowledge of these scores down to the sheet music gives us a vastly different picture of film scoring and scores.

No I'm just talking about microediting and tracking and stuff. The OST literally has tracked music in it (the openings of tracks 5 and 8)

No I'm just talking about microediting and tracking and stuff. The OST literally has tracked music in it (the openings of tracks 5 and 8)

But do we have knowledge of the final music as written for the last version of the film or is this based on how Williams originally conceived things? He might have in revising material either placed some sections elsewhere or written something very similar for another scene later. Naturally it is possible to deduce what has been changed in any given cue when you compare the sheet music from earlier cut to the music in the final one.

Btw is the version of Thompsons' Theme heard on track 4 Introducing the Thompsons and Snowy's Chase originally meant for that scene or another case of tracking on the album?

Btw is the version of Thompsons' Theme heard on track 4 Introducing the Thompsons and Snowy's Chase originally meant for that scene or another case of tracking on the album?

It was probably for the deleted scene where the Thompsons are walking in the market and get their canes stuck with each other while they walk around.

I wish Spielberg put deleted scenes on his dvds/blu rays :( The footage of them filming that scene is hilarious!

Yeah Spielberg quite rarely releases any deleted scenes from his films on DVD or Blu-rays. Even though he seems to believe in ecomonic shoots, meaning that all or at least most the scenes shot usually end up in the film, I am sure there is deleted/unused material for most of his films. Plus those recording sessions videos he does. I would love to get my hands on those.

It was probably for the deleted scene where the Thompsons are walking in the market and get their canes stuck with each other while they walk around.

Nope. It's alternate music for the Catching the Thief scene. (which is 1m18 Alt.)

• 7 years later...

Wow, that's quite... substantial. I'd love to see a spreadsheet of this aligned with the OST's inclusions. That's a tonne of unreleased music, especially considering all the revisions. Williams practically scored half the film twice! 

So, I thought Snowy and Tintin would be Snowy's Theme on the OST, but Snowy's Theme is actually the oddly named Snowy's E.T.!

They're both arrangements of the Snowy theme, and share some similar passages (though arranged differently), but are quite different takes on it. Snowy and Tintin is much less of a mini piano concerto movement, and has a lot more mallet percussion, among other differences. Also, the OST version was written with an additional 20 measures at the beginning. No idea, of course, whether those were recorded and then edited out, or taken out before the recording was made.

Is anyone doing mockups lately? Should I tackle this one myself?

'150 years ago, my great grandfather, Mike Matessino the First brought us the expanded albums of Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, Superman and E.T.. I now present to you the score to the forgotten The Adventures of Tintin, a film released in 2012, so long ago.' -   Mike Matessino the Third

"Snowy E.T." is the Snowy's Theme track on the OST / Snowy's Theme arrangement intended for the end credits

"Tintin and Snowy" is one of the many main title ideas before they finally settled on Tinker-tin for the final film and OST

1 minute ago, Jay said:

"Tintin and Snowy" is one of the many main title ideas before they finally settled on Tinker-tin for the final film and OST

Do you know if it was recorded?

We assume it was based on the Sony hack

1m01v1_Tintin.aif
1m02v1_TintinandSnowy.aif
1m03alt_Tinker Tin.aif
1s04B_Sur Le Boulevard.aif
1m10v1_PickpocketScene.aif
2m22_Dueling Pirates.aif
4m23B_The Milanese Nightingale.aif
4m24B_The Falcon and the Flood.aif
3m35v1_TheUnicornTheme.aif
3m40v1_TNT.aif

Wowsers! Yeah I remember that huge Sony hack and all the files that got dumped online... so essentially the hackers got the complete score for Tintin but it never actually leaked online?!

That's brutal! All I remember being leaked were heaps of bitchy emails about Fincher from Amy Pascal.

The hackers stole 11,000 gigs worth of data put only posted bits and bobs of it online, The Interview was the big hoopla but I think they posted Still Alice before it opened too, and tons of email and employee's social security numbers, etc.  They never posted any music files that I ever saw

1 minute ago, Jay said:

They never posted any music files that I ever saw

That quote you posted above, with all the filenames, was that just an excerpt of a much larger list? I must not have been around when this discussion happened, it's total news to me, but who went searching for something this obscure? Kudos to whoever joined the dots.

Like I said,

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

the hackers dumped a list of every file they got and we found those listed in the text file

I might still have that text file on my hard drive somewhere, I can look for it if you want.  Tintin was the only Williams-related thing we found in it.  Really it was the only interesting thing in it, music wise, at all

Well, kudos to whoever thought to look for it, considering the mass of files.

Was it only Williams' score for Tintin that had a bunch of audio filenames in the leak? What about his other Sony scores like The Patriot or Hook?

It was me, I thought to look for it!  It was very exciting when I saw it, only to be deflated when there ended up being no leak of the actual files

And I just answered your other question in my prior post

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

It was me, I thought to look for it!  It was very exciting when I saw it, only to be deflated when there ended up being no leak of the actual files

Well done mate! Good find.

And yeah, that sucks. Are we 100% sure the actual files didn't leak?

In any case, if they are AIF files, they are certainly audio files, which means they correspond to cues that were actually recorded. Presumably what you posted was part of a much larger list, so if it corresponds with the complete cue list posted above then we might have some clarity about what was actually recorded for this score (considering all the revisions Williams wrote for multiple cuts).

Not that it matters, because we won't be getting an expansion of Tintin for decades, probably.

Other than emails, social security numbers, and a handful of movies before they had opened in theaters, I never heard of anything else leaking.  You are welcome to research it yourself

I'll put the feelers out and see what I can find. :) Someone has all the data, somewhere.

Certainly makes you wonder what else might be 'accessible' if you have the right skills to acquire them...

So who tried blackmailing Sony employees with those emails and numbers into getting rights shit done?

37 minutes ago, Jay said:

I might still have that text file on my hard drive somewhere, I can look for it if you want. 

Only if it's not a huge pain... I'd be happy to make a spreadsheet to compare with the complete cue list, so we know what was actually recorded.

Then we just need to contact someone who works at Sony and ask them to leak the complete score online, seeing as the labels can't afford these modern Williams scores, nor work with Sony. :)

@Jay Thanks for the info! I've updated again with the cue numbers that weren't on the scores.

I don't get this numbering system at all, though! With this scheme, does 3m40 come before or after 4m24?

I'm assuming it's the former, but the numbering for The Force Awakens, for example, seems much more clear: the first and second numbers are always in ascending order.