Alternate "The Adventures of Tintin" (Opening Credits)?

crocodile

There is an interview with Conrad Pope in the new issue of FSM Online conducted by Tim Burden and you can find this clip:

As I recall, there were two [other] versions of the main title theme. Both were orchestral in nature. As to the exact nature of the music, I don’t recall exactly at this point. For some reason, my impression was that one was rather swashbuckling, while the first was a pretty straight forward heroic, ‘Prokofievian’ piece. I suspect they were woven in the later bits of the score—perhaps once I hear the album I’ll have an idea—though maybe not. There’s been quite a few notes in the last two years that have flowed under this particular bridge. I just recall when the third version arrived and I thought: ‘Ah...’ Catch this ’young Tintin—not your typical adventure hero music.’

Interesting.

I just want to add the interview is definitely worth a listen.

Karol - not sure if this has been mentioned before

I wonder if Pope is speaking about The Adventures of Tintin and Williams' different take on the opening credits or 2 different fully orchestrated versions of Tintin's theme.

I hope these two see the light of day at some point if they are not the two themes Tintin has in the score. Pope talks about pieces so it would seem Williams actually wrote longer developments. Intriguing.

I wonder if Pope is speaking about The Adventures of Tintin and Williams' different take on the opening credits or 2 different fully orchestrated versions of Tintin's theme.

I hope these two see the light of day at some point if they are not the two themes Tintin has in the score. Pope talks about pieces so it would seem Williams actually wrote longer developments. Intriguing.

I think he's referring to the main title. "Catch this young Tintin" bit at the end suggests so. Or maybe not.

Karol

I think he's referring to the main title. "Catch me Tintin" bit at the end suggests so.

Karol

Anyway, KM will have a mourning fit.

He's definitely referring to the opening credits piece, not Tintin's Heroic Theme in general. Perhaps you should change the thread title, croc

I didn't know I can edit thread titles.

Karol

You didn't used to be able to, but I gave people permission to a while back

Well if these were ever recorded they will be holy grails for Williams fans.

Before anyone asks, I have never seen sheet music for anything except the film/album version of the opening credits

The question is: what will KM want most? These never-heard alternates or The Portuguese Plane cue?

3 minute version of Tintin Main Theme or a 2 minute action cue using the said main theme? Hmmm let me think....

Before anyone asks, I have never seen sheet music for anything except the film/album version of the opening credits

The film has a different mix. Did you hear that in the cam rip?

I didn't know I can edit thread titles.

Karol

You didn't used to be able to, but I gave people permission to a while back

I still don't know how to. If you want you can change it, you know what to do.

Can even add "adapted and orchestrated by Jason LeBlanc" if you want. ;)

Karol

OK i changed it. Yea, the description of the original version being "Swashbucking" makes me think that is possibly the Dueling Pirates / The Adventure Continues music

I know that. He also said that some of the music was re-used and put into later pieces, which is what i was referring to

I hope the sheet music leaks and we can make mockups

This explains why Tinker-tin doesnt' have a slate number, I suppose

So I understand he wrote a non jazzy piece for the opening titles? And then they changed their mind about it?

This Tintin business sounds more and more like there's the final score and another alternate score made of an army discarded pieces and previous versions. This is somewhere, out there... ugh. If we happen to have all of it decades from now, we might realize this was a better score than it seemed.

So I understand he wrote a non jazzy piece for the opening titles? And then they changed their mind about it?

This Tintin business sounds more and more like there's the final score and another alternate score made of an army discarded pieces and previous versions. This is somewhere, out there... ugh. If we happen to have all of it decades from now, we might realize this was a better score than it seemed.

You mean even better score? ;)

He also mentions that you can see JW's dad playing drums in this clip below and that this kind of music influenced him (possibly subconciously) when composing something like the final main title.

Karol

This reminds me of the Back to the Future scenario where there was really an alternate score to be released alongside the final one which consisted of Silvestri's early work on the music.

If ever there is a similar release of The Adventures of Tintin where the initial and final cues will be presented it will be a truly exhilarating and fascinating experience I am sure. :)

If there are several versions of cues you could play around and pick your favourite and assemble your own awesome score plus alternates. Now that's cool.

Does this happen in any other type of music? That there's a segment of the composition that can be this way, or that way...

The Adventure Continues is about the same length as the Adventures of Tintin. for those who have seen the film, could you imagine that piece playing over the opening title piece? I realize both the film and music would have been subsequently altered somewhat, but you might still get a sense of things.

Anyway, when Williams composed these opening pieces (back in 2009) the opening sequence was probably not finished, right? He probably had a very vague notion of what would end up on screen.

There's more chance of hearing Shore's King Kong than there is of ever hearing this.

Move along.

But we want to speculate endlessly on this! Such prospects! A Tintin concert suite styled piece!

QUICK! CLOSE THIS THREAD BEFORE KM SEES IT! WE DON'T HAVE MUCH TIME! HURRY!

Ok, what I think this piece is the Raiders like arrangement of "Tintin's Theme" as opposed to the Catch Me If You Can arrangement we got on the c.d. Track 1

I'd bet my life that at some point Williams recorded something like this . And I'd REALLY want it

QUICK! CLOSE THIS THREAD BEFORE KM SEES IT! WE DON'T HAVE MUCH TIME! HURRY!

Ok, what I think this piece is the Raiders like arrangement of "Tintin's Theme" as opposed to the Catch Me If You Can arrangement we got on the c.d. Track 1

I'd bet my life that at some point Williams recorded something like this . And I'd REALLY want it

vader.jpg

Ofcourse there is, the piece on the album and in the film is labelled as "Rev."

The revisions to "Tinker-tin" is just changing around a few bars here and there. Meaning he changed some aspects of the "Catch Me If You Can"-styled version of the piece.... the original swashbuckling version presumably had a different name altogether.... it was probably 1m1 something something

He may introduce it in future concerts, or parts of it. I wonder about the CMIYC version, anyway, since it somehow doesn't seem quite 'there' in the opening. It sounds a bit too academic and doesn't gel with the rest.

• 8 years later...
22 minutes ago, eduardovictory said:

His impression was that Spielberg & Peter Jackson would pick the one they liked best and Williams said that one possibility for the other two was that they could be used as possible main titles for the subsequent Tintin films (at the time, a trilogy of films had been announced). 

Woah, never heard this before! Very cool bit of info there, but shame the sequels never materialized. Who knows, maybe with COVID we'll see a resurgence in mocap films until things return to normal. If Spielberg really wanted to go on with another film, he could easily dust off the unfilmed Tintin sequel and shoot the mocap in LA.

Not like Jackson has been in any rush to get it done.

3 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Woah, never heard this before! Very cool bit of info there, but shame the sequels never materialized. Who knows, maybe with COVID we'll see a resurgence in mocap films until things return to normal. If Spielberg really wanted to go on with another film, he could easily dust off the unfilmed Tintin sequel and shoot the mocap in LA.

Not like Jackson has been in any rush to get it done.

I'm so bummed the sequels never materialized. I really loved the film!
The story I'd heard was the Spielberg would do the first one, Peter Jackson the second one, and they would either both direct the third film or have Robert Zemeckis come in. Can't speak to how true any of those are. 

27 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Well according to that article, the film was "only 3 years away" two and a half years ago.

I think everyone has just moved on. The Hobbit films must have utterly exhausted Jackson because he's only directed two documentaries in the last six years.