Alternate "The Adventures of Tintin" (Opening Credits)?

crocodile

11 hours ago, Datameister said:

another giving extensive development to a theme that ended up not being used very much in the score.

You do mean the so-called "Tintin theme", the one we hear for example at the end of Pursuit of the falcon ? 

This soundtrack is in dire need of an expansion. 

6 hours ago, eitam said:

You do mean the so-called "Tintin theme", the one we hear for example at the end of Pursuit of the falcon ? 

This soundtrack is in dire need of an expansion. 

No, check out the beginning of "Escape From the Karaboudjan" for the theme I'm talking about.

1 hour ago, Not Mr. Big said:

That's the same theme

Oh that's right, it does crop up in there. That's what I get for going off of memory. But in all fairness, the main theme does come afterward, and that's the statement I was thinking of.

52 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

That jazz-meets-baroque sensibilty. The use of the harpsichord might recall Francis Poulenc's Concert Champetre from 1928. There is an overall air that harks back to French composers of that era like Poulenc, Honegger, Milhaud. All of them were strongly influenced by the early jazz music coming from the US. It makes sense considering the source material and also the setting of the film.

Ah, gotcha. I thought you were referring directly to 20s jazz.

Yes, the first alternate is a little meandering, while the second had most of its highlights reincorporated into Snowy's Theme.

Still, would be nice to have on an eventual expansion (not holding my breath, doubt we'll see one in the next decade).

I've seen somewhere the first alternate used with footage of the main titles and it works surprisingly well. But I agree the final version is the best, it's actually one of the best JW's main titles ever, IMHO.

BTW, we got confirmation that these were recorded (along with the unused Unicorn and Thompson/Thomson end credits cues) thanks to the Sony hack from 2014

Included in one of the text files was this track listing

1m01v1_Tintin.aif

1m02v1_TintinandSnowy.aif

1m03alt_Tinker Tin.aif

1s04B_Sur Le Boulevard.aif

1m10v1_PickpocketScene.aif

2m22_Dueling Pirates.aif

4m23B_The Milanese Nightingale.aif

4m24B_The Falcon and the Flood.aif

3m35v1_TheUnicornTheme.aif

3m40v1_TNT.aif

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Simultaneously the most tantalizing but also the most monumentally infuriating list of files ever.

A stack of unreleased music in perfect quality, sitting on a Sony server that got hacked and never leaked publicly :crymore:

And you just know the entire sessions were probably alongside those tracks, the text files were likely incomplete.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Out of curiosity, do we know if these tracks are all from the 2010 sessions, or a mix of 2010 and 2011?

On 9/8/2020 at 1:14 PM, Datameister said:

I'm sure whoever made these would want to include a disclaimer that they're old mockups and would most certainly sound better if that person were to redo them these days. :music:

Can you post first cue again?

They are both good cues. The second one I agree is an adaptation of Snowy’s theme concert piece.

The first one is a very robust exploration of Tintin’s investigative theme though his heroic theme shows up too.

i don’t think either of these could work well as a main title cue. Main titles have to be slightly more strident to grab the viewers attention. The second one probably works for that reason but the first one does not.

2 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

They are both good cues. The second one I agree is an adaptation of Snowy’s theme concert piece.

It's the other way around; the Snowy's Theme concert arrangement (which is actually another end credits piece) didn't exist until the 2011 scoring

The first one is a very robust exploration of Tintin’s investigative theme though his heroic theme shows up too.

i don’t think either of these could work well as a main title cue. Main titles have to be slightly more strident to grab the viewers attention. The second one probably works for that reason but the first one does not.

It's possible the proper orchestral recording under Williams' baton (with potentially some podium changes made after the sheet music was written) would have a different impact than these synthetic mockups

It's funny, the first time I saw the film (and heard the score), I was very unimpressed by the main title cue. Vaguely jazzy noodling that didn't get me very excited for the film ahead, I thought. But I eventually found myself loving its slick twists and turns, and it's now one of my favorite tracks on the OST.

When it comes to the alternates, I probably prefer the one that revolves around Tintin's themes over the one that revolves around Snowy's theme. (My favorite bits from the latter are the crazy piano solo.) I think it probably would have served the film just as well as the final version, albeit in a different way. One thing I'll say in its favor is that it would have more firmly established Tintin's thematic material from the outset, which would have made it easier for me to pick it out later on. I don't think I even noticed either of those themes at all on my first viewing/listening.

In any case, this is all a bit speculative, since as Jay pointed out, a mockup is no match for a real orchestral recording. There's a reason orchestras haven't gone extinct. ;) It's still fun to get a sense of what the unheard music sounds like, but I try not to judge a cue too harshly till I've heard it "for real."

Tintin’s investigate theme is a bit subtle so can be missed but his heroic theme is hard to miss. Specially in the falcon chase sequence, the statement there is pretty definitive and memorable.

The material in the main title cue is singular, it doesn’t appear anywhere else but it is very properly scored and fits the animation very well. It does sneak in Tintin’s heroic theme. The way his theme is stated here can be missed.

in contrast for example catch me if you can, it does state that motif very prominently which is used in the film so it stands out.

Even just overall Tintin is a dense tapestry of theme so it’s hard to really pick a main theme that would have popped in the main title cue. If anything the main theme could be the unicorn theme but that doesn’t work because the film was to be a franchise.

i think given all the circumstances we got a pretty good main title.

Sadly it's been 9 years and there's never been any real indication a sequel would actually happen ever since :(

The thread we have for it has no new posts since 2018

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/21092-the-adventures-of-tintin-sequel-anticipation-thread/

5 hours ago, Alex said:

I reckon you could swap Tintin’s “investigative” theme with the Thieves theme from Home Alone and they’d both work in each film.

Nah, I get what you're saying, but the theme from HA is a lot more sinister to my ear.