Will Tintin turn out to be a better score than War Horse?

TheUlyssesian

All the Oscar experts predict that both War Horse and Tintin will easily be nominated for the Academy Awards and that War Horse will win.

I however happen to think that Tintin is the better score and would be more deserving of a win than War Horse.

Does anybody share my view?

Will it be bittersweet to see Williams win for War Horse instead of Tintin (which I think is a magnificent score)?

Also it is very likely that The Artist will defeat both and walk away the Oscar. That would be too bad. Having seen The Artist, I can say that the score is functional and film-serving but not a great piece of composition, certainly doesn't have the virtuosity at display in large passages of Tintin.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are both Spielberg-directed movies. Only WH will be nominated for Best Score.

All the Oscar experts predict that both War Horse and Tintin will easily be nominated for the Academy Awards and that War Horse will win.

What experts? Source?

Only WH will be nominated for Best Score.

Both are eligible so both can be nominated. Williams has received two nominations in the same year on previous occasions too.

Source?

Here are just some websites that predict Oscars

http://www.hitfix.com/contenders/best-original-score

http://thefilmexperience.net/tech2/

Well, either-or, definitely, but certainly not both.

Both are eligible so both can be nominated. Williams has received two nominations in the same year on previous occasions too.

Read what I wrote again.

They are both Spielberg-directed movies.

Well, having heard the unreleased music for Tintin it does fare better than my original impression.

I also think in the long run it may be more discussed than War Horse here

I also think in the long run it may be more discussed than War Horse here

I think in the long run both will be highly regarded. No seriously.

Like JP and SL, or TPM and AA.

I however happen to think that Tintin is the better score and would be more deserving of a win than War Horse.

Does anybody share my view?

Will it be bittersweet to see Williams win for War Horse instead of Tintin (which I think is a magnificent score)?

Also it is very likely that The Artist will defeat both and walk away the Oscar. That would be too bad. Having seen The Artist, I can say that the score is functional and film-serving but not a great piece of composition, certainly doesn't have the virtuosity at display in large passages of Tintin.

Ah, The Artist... A score written by Ludovic Bource... His name is enough to win an Oscar these days...

They are both top scores by JW, and I couldn't say which is better in terms of quality.

However, I can definitely say, I myself prefer Tintin, just because this type of score is more to my liking generally.

And I also do believe WH will be nominated and possibly even win...

Ah, The Artist... A score written by Ludovic Bource... His name is enough to win an Oscar these days...

Yeah seriously! The Academy is nuts for foreign composers these days. I mean jeez Bable, Brokeback, Slumdog! Wtf! I pity them if they think those scores were the best of their respective years or even something worth nominating.

All the score Oscar winners after LOTR seem so trivial compared to Tintin.

The Academy likely wouldn't be able to appreciate how intricate and complex Tintin is and will just hand it to some half ass droning (Social Network won an Oscar for Best Score! Wtf!).

Yeah seriously! The Academy is nuts for foreign composers these days. I mean jeez Bable, Brokeback, Slumdog! Wtf! I pity them if they think those scores were the best of their respective years or even something worth nominating.

All the score Oscar winners after LOTR seem so trivial compared to Tintin.

The Academy likely wouldn't be able to appreciate how intricate and complex Tintin is and will just hand it to some half ass droning (Social Network won an Oscar for Best Score! Wtf!).

Haha, if Tintin was written by a guy called Rechanythe Ugmmertank I'm sure it would win...! ;)

But I really don't take the Oscar very seriously (anymore) because the Academy awards a Best Score Oscar not to the composer of the best score in any given year, but to the one who tried the hardest, the newcomer of the bunch, the composer who has to gain the most by winning an Oscar, etc. etc.

But I really don't take the Oscar very seriously (anymore) because the Academy awards a Best Score Oscar not to the composer of the best score in any given year, but to the one who tried the hardest, the newcomer of the bunch, the composer who has to gain the most by winning an Oscar, etc. etc.

And the one with the most 'exotic' name.

Tintin is a fast paced film so the music is also fast paced. Because of JW's composition style, "fast paced" often means very busy sounding cues with lots of orchestration. War Horse's cues are less busy and rely more on string layering, woodwind passages and slower melodic themes for the emotional punch. It definitely feels like there are less total notes played in War Horse than in Tintin, which may lead someone to think War Horse is less complex. So which is better? That's tough to answer because music is way too subjective. It all comes down to personal preference and I prefer War Horse. Sometimes less is more.

Less notes doesn't mean less complexity...

That being said, War Horse is emotionally straightforward and I like it. I prefer it much over Tintin, which honestly to me sounds like more of the same recent Williams fare. War Horse sounds familiar too, but in a refreshing way. It's a sound that I wanted to hear again.

War Horse is emotionally straightforward and I like it. I prefer it much over Tintin, which honestly to me sounds like more of the same recent Williams fare. War Horse sounds familiar too, but in a refreshing way. It's a sound that I wanted to hear again.

I agree. Plus, War Horse's themes are much better than Tintin's.

Less notes doesn't mean less complexity...

i never said that. as a musician, i am well aware of that. i was just trying to rationalize one of the potential reasons why someone may think tintin is better.

Is it wrong that I'm more emotionally affected by the Tintin score? It's a score that takes me on a great adventure, it's funny and inspiring. War Horse sounds like staring at the countryside, I have to be in the mood for it.

Although Tintin has many more themes, the main War Horse theme is much better and more recognizable to voters just at first listen. They've already been conditioned by the trailer, which by an act of genius used the music to great effect, and is the quintessentially sentimental, appealing, and beautifully pastoral score that can win votes just on the music alone (because it's not generally the music that wins it)

Is it wrong that I'm more emotionally affected by the Tintin score? It's a score that takes me on a great adventure, it's funny and inspiring. War Horse sounds like staring at the countryside, I have to be in the mood for it.

That being said, War Horse is emotionally straightforward and I like it. I prefer it much over Tintin, which honestly to me sounds like more of the same recent Williams fare. War Horse sounds familiar too, but in a refreshing way. It's a sound that I wanted to hear again.

You don't need to put down one score in order to praise the other! :lol: Just sayin'.

Obviously, these are 2 very different scores, and in my opinion both serve their respective movies pretty well (well, I haven't seen WH yet, but I can tell. ;) ) And I can say definitely that both give us outstanding (and again very different) listening experiences on album. Which can only be a good thing... rather than getting the same thing by the same composer over and over again.

Just listened through War Horse, from start to finish (I don't do that very often) and I find it so much more affecting and emotional than almost anything in Tintin. Wonderful stuff.

Tintin may have the heroic theme and some nice action, but I feel the lack of a definitive appearance (on album or in the film) takes away from the experience for me. War Horse is brimming with themes and works wonderfully as an album.

I saw Tintin a few weeks ago, and I can't say there were many points where I felt the music really came to the forefront. In fact, not much made me want to pull out the album and listen immediately. Whereas one viewing of the War Horse trailer and the soundtrack couldn't come soon enough.

So my answer is I think War Horse is the better score.

War Horse is emotionally straightforward and I like it. I prefer it much over Tintin, which honestly to me sounds like more of the same recent Williams fare. War Horse sounds familiar too, but in a refreshing way. It's a sound that I wanted to hear again.

I agree. Plus, War Horse's themes are much better than Tintin's.

I love Tintin's heroic theme, but there isn't enough of it. The Unicorn theme sounds pretty generic to me actually, and I don't remember any others.

I know what you mean about War Horse sounding familiar- it has an emotionally nostalgic quality that makes it feel, for me, like it's the score to an early 90s film that we've grown to love.

And... just as I finish typing, The Homecoming stops playing. That was beauuutiful :P I could just play the whole thing over again now hah.

I'm not really a fan on the main theme from War Horse even since the first trailer. I like the bit that was looped on the second trailer though, and some of the other themes.

I wanted to love this score, I hoped it would be my favourite of the year, but I don't seem to get into it.

As for Tintin, I think the effect of the music in the film in amazing, and I basically can't get the score out of my head. The jazzy opening, all the uplifting and funny variations on Haddock's, Snowy's and Tintin's themes, the pirate music, the buildups and the breaks of the duelling theme, the flute solos in the middle of an action cue, the piano, the sax, the accordion, the rising Unicorn theme as the ship sails over the dunes, as if Indiana Jones had just discovered something...

I love Tintin's heroic theme, but there isn't enough of it. The Unicorn theme sounds pretty generic to me actually

But they're both very similar. I'd even dare to say that they are both pretty mediocre. Yes, that's what I think.

I'm not a smartass, and I think you avoided it.

Please tell me why you think I avoided it.

Sometimes I think I'm the only person on this planet that tries to make a difference between what's good and what I like...

You can't be more wrong. Most people think there's a difference between what's good and what they like. To me there's no difference.

Because you said they're mediocre because they're not great. Huh.

And I wanted some music stuff, in there! Because I haven't been thinking on musical terms at any point on this thread, just on the level of what I was enjoying to listen to.

Sometimes I think I'm the only person on this planet that tries to make a difference between what's good and what I like...

You can't be more wrong. Most people think there's a difference between what's good and what they like. To me there's no difference.

So what you're saying is that your tastes align with objective quality? Interesting.

Because I haven't been thinking on musical terms at any point on this thread, just on the level of what I was enjoying to listen to.

That is exactly my case, and I like it as it is.

So what you're saying is that your tastes align with objective quality? Interesting.

There's no such thing as objective quality in music.

Because I haven't been thinking on musical terms at any point on this thread, just on the level of what I was enjoying to listen to.

That is exactly my case, and I like it as it is.

Ah ok. You don't like it much, whatever. I thought there was something else.

Ah ok. You don't like it much, whatever. I thought there was something else.

Like what? A detailed description of what I feel when I listen to those themes? Because that's what it all comes down to: our emotional response. I'm not judging the whole score, just its melodic basis.