The Reivers: Complete Cue List

filmmusic

• 8 years later...
Just now, Disco Stu said:

I want a remaster so badly

I actually think the 90s Sony remaster was really well done. I'm sure it can be further improved upon all these years later, but it deserves kudos for the feat, I think.

5 hours ago, theMaestraX said:

I take it this eventual release will be 2 disc Limited Edition.

Remastered film score followed by remastered OST presentation, I guess?

EDIT: OST is only 30 minutes so depends on whether the film score + any alternates exceeds 49 minutes. Could be another Monsignor/The River/Cowboys type release otherwise.

1 hour ago, TheUlyssesian said:

You’d want to include the full suite too right with new music not in the film score or on the ost?

Was it recorded during the film scoring sessions, or years later?

In this case, much of the audience might be familiar with the score only through the suite which has been performed at concerts. That audience, when they buy the set would feel ripped off if they don't find it on.

It would be neat if a future expansion of Memoirs of a Geisha could include the 3 mvt suite and 6 mvt suite recorded years later, since they were both released by Sony, like the OST

And BTW the CE3K expansion also includes music recorded years later, the Inside the Mothership cue.

And the ROTJ 1997 CD does too

• 1 year later...

This section right at the end of the titles from 3:42 to 3:48 is lovely and is not on the album

Very cool that the movie is on YouTube now in one part and pretty good quality, this was uploaded a few months ago

The OST has long been one of my favorite Williams albums.  Watching the movie is making me want a Matessino full score assembly so bad it hurts me

This super cool solo banjo was mixed out of Lucius’ First Drive on the album!

19:12

There really isn’t a ton of importance missing from the album, but it sure would be nice to have clean openings and endings, film accurate mixes, and in the best possible quality, for one of Williams’ best scores.

And it would be cool to have the short but essential slomo horse race cue with the echo effect.

I've not had the chance to see this movie, and if I'm honest, I think it's hurting my appreciation of the score.

I've listened twice in the past two days, and the (apologies to Disco Stu) banjo and other "hillbilly" elements are making it difficult for me.

I feel sort of shameful about it not clicking with me, because it's cited so frequently as THE turning point in John's scoring.

I mean, I like the Americana theme and the secondary lullaby theme, but I don't love the whole score.

If you don't like the folk elements, you don't like them.  No point trying to force yourself!

I wouldn't care if I was the only JWFan in the world who loved this score so long as someday I get the reissue I want so badly I can practically taste it.

That's admirable!  

I don't know if forcing myself is the right expression.  Sometimes I need to warm to things, or my brain needs to mature.  I'm certain seeing the movie would help.

And yet, I've never seen Jane Eyre, but the score effortlessly pulls me into its romantic and dangerous world.  I'm just bringing that one up as a score from the same era that I personally find more accessible, but perhaps less well-known.

• 1 year later...

I have just listened to the Reivers Concert Suite from the BPO "Music for Stage & Screen" album for the first time. Unfortunately it represents an example of my most hated genre of music. Namely that of orchestral music with added narration. With these kind of Spoken Word recordings, the talking always just gets in the way for me. I was so happy to buy the version of Copland's Lincoln Portrait from the "He Got Game" album with Henry Fonda's voice totally removed. I would have much preferred this Reivers Suite in a version without Burgess Meredith. But there it is. 

I know this is probably old hat but can anyone tell me if the underscore for the suite I've just heard is comprised solely of cues from the actual film score? Or did Williams add extra music just for this arrangement? Also will the complete original score tracks for The Reivers ever see the light of day in a new deluxe edition? Or have the original tapes been irretrievably lost to time? Thankyou. 

2 hours ago, stravinsky said:

I have just listened to the Reivers Concert Suite from the BPO "Music for Stage & Screen" album for the first time. Unfortunately it represents an example of my most hated genre of music. Namely that of orchestral music with added narration. With these kind of Spoken Word recordings, the talking always just gets in the way for me. I was so happy to buy the version of Copland's Lincoln Portrait from the "He Got Game" album with Henry Fonda's voice totally removed. I would have much preferred this Reivers Suite in a version without Burgess Meredith. But there it is. 

I know this is probably old hat but can anyone tell me if the underscore for the suite I've just heard is comprised solely of cues from the actual film score? Or did Williams add extra music just for this arrangement? Also will the complete original score tracks for The Reivers ever see the light of day in a new deluxe edition? Or have the original tapes been irretrievably lost to time? Thankyou. 

I broadly have similar feelings about music with narration over it, although in the case of both the Reivers and Lincoln Portrait, the narration sections are well integrated so the music is written to be out of the way during the monologue so you're not missing anything critical. Having said that, I would second the desire for a narration free version of the Reivers suite (great though Meredith's narration is). There are two other recordings, both for wind band, which are also worth hearing but do both have narration. I'm sure someone could relatively well remove the narration with software but I doubt it would be entirely glitch free.

As for what the suite includes, the bouncy tuba material for the Winton flyer and the horse race material were composed  specifically for the suite. Obviously there are other bits of connective musical tissue elsewhere in the suite that won't be from the original score but those are the only two material cues that are original to the suite. To be fair, if you listen to those in the context of JW's output as a whole, neither sound like they come from the pen of late 60s JW being much more congruent with his 80s style, especially the horse race cue which is something of a distant relation of the Land Race cue from Far & Away.

As to the tapes, who knows?! I can't help but think that anyone hoping that the original tracks are more of a sweeping western (like The Cowboys, for example) might be a touch disappointed as it's considerably more modest than that. However, I'm sure it would be warmly welcomed, especially if there are sonic improvements and perhaps it could feature the suite without narration (although that feels like a "JW says no" type situation, even if MM asked very nicely).

Hello Tom. It's precisely the kind of Bluegrass Banjo stuff I love about The Reivers Score. I even copied a CD of the isolated score tracks from the Bluray of "Conrack" for the same reason. Although I've never gotten into the Missouri Breaks score in the same way. Probably because there's no Orchestral backing. The same honky tonk style permeates The Sugarland Express but JW nipped that in the bud. 

Also thanks for clarifying what made up the Reivers Suite. As I say It would be great to hear the music on its own but that'll never happen. I remember a beautiful cue from the original score where they win the horse race and I hope it gets a release someday. 

When I started listening to classical music as a teenager I was looking a quite long time for a recording of Peter and the Wolf without narration until I realized, that there isn't any because it is simply a piece for orchestra and narrator.

1 hour ago, stravinsky said:

Hello Tom. It's precisely the kind of Bluegrass Banjo stuff I love about The Reivers Score. I even copied a CD of the isolated score tracks from the Bluray of "Conrack" for the same reason. Although I've never gotten into the Missouri Breaks score in the same way. Probably because there's no Orchestral backing. The same honky tonk style permeates The Sugarland Express but JW nipped that in the bud. 

Also thanks for clarifying what made up the Reivers Suite. As I say It would be great to hear the music on its own but that'll never happen. I remember a beautiful cue from the original score where they win the horse race and I hope it gets a release someday. 

Having given it another listen as a result of your post, I actually forgot how orchestral The Reivers is - in my mind, the original score was more like Missouri Breaks (which I do like a great deal) but tonally it's broadly halfway between Missouri Breaks and The Cowboys in its mixture of bluegrass and more traditional, expansive western scoring. Having said that the horse race cue sounds more like 80s/90s JW (which I still think is broadly true), I was surprised to be reminded of a motif that sounds a little like Home Alone in The Reivers which surprised me somewhat!

24 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

When I started listening to classical music as a teenager I was looking a quite long time for a recording of Peter and the Wolf without narration until I realized, that there isn't any because it is simply a piece for orchestra and narrator.

Probably why I almost never listen to it (I have the Sean Connery narrated version on Decca) as I'm not that interested in the narration. Similar when it comes to The Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra by Britten, although it doesn't help that I find the narration a bit patronising on that one. At least Peter and the Wolf is just a charming folk story so easier to enjoy on its own terms.

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

Huh? There have been multiple releases of Peter and the Wolf sans narration (albeit usually paired on disc with a narrated version). Here are a couple:

https://www.amazon.com/Prokofiev-Peter-versions-without-narration/dp/B000FKO5ME

https://www.amazon.com/Peter-Wolf-London-Philharmonic-Orchestra/dp/B000RO8Q3W/

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a recording of Britten's Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra sans narration too.

If anyone ever newly records Goldsmith's first masterpiece "1489 Words", I hope it's made available both with narration and without...

It's a great piece with narrator, but it would also be wonderful music to listen to on its own.

Yavar

8 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Huh? There have been multiple releases of Peter and the Wolf sans narration (albeit usually paired on disc with a narrated version). Here are a couple:

https://www.amazon.com/Prokofiev-Peter-versions-without-narration/dp/B000FKO5ME

https://www.amazon.com/Peter-Wolf-London-Philharmonic-Orchestra/dp/B000RO8Q3W/

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a recording of Britten's Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra sans narration too.

If anyone ever newly records Goldsmith's first masterpiece "1489 Words", I hope it's made available both with narration and without...

It's a great piece with narrator, but it would also be wonderful music to listen to on its own.

Yavar

Blimey, another Jerry thing I've never heard of?! I'll be giving that a listen later.

Cool in re no-narration versions of Peter and the Wolf, may have to check them out.

At the risk of totally derailing this thread, I should say that I enjoy the narration on Jerry's Christus Apollo - of course it helps that it's Anthony Hopkins (always wondered how they persuaded him to do it!).

11 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Blimey, another Jerry thing I've never heard of?! I'll be giving that a listen later.

PM me with your email address and I can send you a better sounding audio copy than exists on YouTube. There are actually tons of Goldsmith-scored radio projects, some of which would be worthy of getting a new recording for album... but this is the pinnacle of his radio scoring, and IMO his very first masterpiece (done months before his first theatrical film score, Black Patch). It's basically a series of four concert works, famous poems set to music. "The Highwayman" in particular just blows me away. The only part of it which has ever been commercially released on album is "The Thunder of Imperial Names" segment, re-arranged for military wind band by arranger Mike Davis in the 1970s. It's been released on CD a couple of times (though I prefer the original radio orchestra), but f you check out this interview I did with Mike Davis, you can hear the superior original album release of his arrangement (which has never made the leap from LP to CD so far):

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/10162979-odyssey-interviews-mike-davis

11 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

At the risk of totally derailing this thread, I should say that I enjoy the narration on Jerry's Christus Apollo - of course it helps that it's Anthony Hopkins (always wondered how they persuaded him to do it!).

He was apparently a friend of Jerry's. Hopkins is a talented composer himself and in multiple interviews has said that if his acting career hadn't taken off, he would have more actively pursued composing work.

https://www.classicfm.com/composers/sir-anthony-hopkins/guides/hannibals-ear-music/

Good stuff, right? You can buy this album of his concert music:

https://www.amazon.com/Composer-CD-Anthony-Hopkins/dp/B005K7HBMS

He's written scores for some of his own films over the past decade or two. No doubt he greatly appreciated the masterpiece scores Jerry wrote for his films such as Magic. Maybe one day I'll manage to interview him about their relationship (or maybe someone else?) ... fingers crossed.

Oh, and there's also an earlier British film composer named ANTONY Hopkins... so I suggest you avoid that confusion as many people haven't. :) 

Yavar

So funny Tom you should mention the old Dorati/Connery recording of Britten/Prokofiev. It was the first record I ever bought (on Cassette) when I was 12 years old. I never played side B containing Peter & the Wolf though. We were played the Britten recording in first year music class and I was mesmerised. The final Fugue is genius. As you know Britten recorded his own version without narration for Decca with the LSO. All best wishes to you from Scotland. 

P.S I'm currently listening to the Intrada complete Spacecamp. Truly an embarrassment of riches... 

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe this question has already been answered, but has the content of the Suite from "The Reivers" narrated by Burgess Meredith been detailed?

For example, what soundtrack cues could be equivalent to it?