Your favorite "Act" of the War Horse Soundtrack

Jay

Your favorite "Act" of the War Horse Soundtrack  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite act?

• Act I (Tracks 1-6) - I like the introduction of all the themes, the sense of bonding that develops, and the overal happy feeling this section has
    • Act II (Tracks 7-13) - I like the lack of the original themes, the feeling of separation and despair, as well as the action/war material
    • Act III (Tracks 14-16) - I like the return of the opening themes, the way they evolve into new more reflective versions, and the concluding suite of the happy themes

To me, I view the War Horse OST as having 3 "Acts":

Act I (Tracks 1-6) introduce us to all the major themes. The overall sense this section of the OST has is positive, and you can feel a sense of bonding and friendship developing that climaxes in track 6 ("Plowing")

Act II (Tracks 7-13) feature almost none of those themes, as instead we have more sparsely orchestrated material that really creates a sense of seperation and being taken out of your happy zone. In addition, this section features the only action/war material on the OST.

Act III (Tracks 14-16) features a return of the themes from the beginning, but they have now evolved, as if the time apart from them has enriched them and made them stronger. We also get the terrific new theme that develops out of the former main theme, and a concluding suite of all the "happy" themes from the score (nothing from Act II appears at all).

So, which is your favorite? Vote and discuss!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, but you're not voting on which you think is "better", you're voting on your "Favorite". There's a difference.

and a concluding suite of all the "happy" themes from the score (nothing from Act II appears at all).

Doesn't "Homecoming" feature material from "Joey's New Friends" in Act 2? Unless I'm remembering wrong.

Anyway, I voted Act 3, but it was a tough choice!

It features the Playful Horse theme, but not the Joey's New Friends theme. Though, the Joey's New Friends Theme does appear in track 15 (as does the War Theme)

Mine as well. If I've listened to the OST all the way through 10 times, I've probably listened to the opening 6 tracks only maybe another 10.

I LOVE Dartmoor 1912, its my favorite track, and once it ends I tend to want to continue listening. The first 6 tracks create an awesome flow. Once plowing ends, I find myself turning the CD off and listening to something a lot of times.... I feel like its SO MUCH more of an investment to get through the tough middle act and the concluding act than to just enjoy the first 6 tracks and call it quits.

I would have to say act one overall but there are some tracks that I just can't stop listening to in the other acts such as 'pulling the cannon' - the trumpet in this one gives me such chills. Also track track 14 and 'no man's land'. It's all just so fantastic! :D

I think the album basically tells the story so well musically. I NEED that second act in order to experience the beautiful emotional release of the concluding act. I just love the flow of the album as a whole, even if things tend to get a bit harder to digest. Still; stuff like Pulling The Cannon or No Man's Land is pretty great.

I think the album basically tells the story so well musically. I NEED that second act in order to experience the beautiful emotional release of the concluding act. I just love the flow of the album as a whole, even if things tend to get a bit harder to digest.

I TOTALLY agree. If the album skipped over tracks 7-13 and went right from Plowing to the concluding 3 tracks, it wouldn't be NEARLY as strong as it is with that middle section there. The middle is there for the themes to earn their evolved versions

I favour the first act for it's bucolic beauty and sense of warmth and lyricism and as Blume said it is somehow so fresh and energizing.

We're at a dead tie right now: 6 votes for Act I, 6 votes for Act III. No votes for Act II!

I forgot to vote, but now have, so it's not a tie. :P

And as important as the middle section of the soundtrack is in building the arc of the music it is perhaps not as enticing as the opening and closing acts with their flowing melodies and positive feel of innocence and fulfilment.

A small editorial observation Jason: change the feeling of seperation and dispare in the second poll option to separation and despair.

The Krypton/Smallville scenes--uhh, I mean "Act 1"! I think all the very strongest stuff is here. That's where I keep specifically replaying tracks.

Plowing is one of the greatest things I'll ever hear.