Thoughts on Randy Edelman?

Kevin

I'm not a fan, but he he hits homerun now and then - GETTYSBURG, the MACGYVER theme (the catchiest of all time?), his part of LAST OF THE MOHICANS, TALL TALE. But often, he becomes a little too "homophonic" (no, not homophobic) in his compositions. A bit too simple, structure-wise. Even GETTYSBURG can grate a bit because of this aspect now and then.

He relies on synths far too much. I remember the director of The Mummy 3 stating confidently that there would be nothing 'synth padded' about the score, and of course it was covered in synth. I enjoy that score a bit less as a result.

But I really enjoy The Mask and Six Days, Seven Nights. Some nice themes, and his synth style fits relatively well. And of course, Last of the Mohicans.

It's really unfortunate though that we may never see Ghosbusters 2 released (MV said no one can find the elements, for those who didn't see it); it's his only truly serious score that I've heard.

I think Randy Edelman is a very good tunesmith, with some very hummable melodies to his credit. On that score, am I going to be the only one to admit to liking this song? I love that you can already hear a lot of 'Edelmanisms' in the piano accompaniment (I am also rather taken with Randy's hoody, 1976 stylee).

• 3 years later...

So I have been thinking lately, after watching the film, listened to the score, played the (not-so-good-but nostalgic) videogame, and buying the novelization...

Why is that no soundtrack label has done an expanded complete edition of Dragonheart? The main theme is one of the most popular tunes, and i think the score as a whole has many followers... There are some nice unreleased gems in the film, one of them being the finale fanfare that we have a lesser version on CD (twice).

Has there been any talk about this by the labels? (studio, composer, etc... do not want to expand on it..)

So I have been thinking lately, after watching the film, listened to the score, played the (not-so-good-but nostalgic) videogame, and buying the novelization...

Why is that no soundtrack label has done an expanded complete edition of Dragonheart? The main theme is one of the most popular tunes, and i think the score as a whole has many followers... There are some nice unreleased gems in the film, one of them being the finale fanfare that we have a lesser version on CD (twice).

I'd love to see this happen. I've always had a place in my heart for his two "Dragon" scores--Dragonheart and The Bruce Lee Story. (Dig the shirt, too.)

I dont think edelman wouldnt like to have dragonheart released complete... i'm sure he thinks of this score as one of the highlights of his career.

He is not a high demanded composer nowadays, the universal vaults are open, it is a modern score, but old enough.... But maybe, like Jerry Goldsmith, he is not into expanded albums...

(And the excellent HBO film for which it was written is freshly relevant, with CHILD 44 hitting theaters soon.)

I saw it on TV once in the last 90s or so and was impressed. Would like to see it again.

If Edelman has one weakness, it's that he doesn't do dark very well. His upbeat, positive, inspiring music is the core of his strength, and the reason his scores play well. But he doesn't venture much into the area of the heavy, oppressive, evil milieu. When he does, it's not much more than a variation on the classic duh-duh-DUUUUHHH! thing.

• 5 years later...
On 2/22/2015 at 12:26 AM, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I like the music for The Distinguished Gentleman that they play in the queue line for Soarin' Over California.

Exactly! 

For now, I own two CDs of Edelman: Dragonheart and Distinguished gentleman. Very nice music!

I guess the biggest Edelman discovery since my last contribution to this thread in 2011, is SIX DAYS SEVEN NIGHTS, which I've thoroughly enjoyed for years now. I only own five of his soundtracks - DAYLIGHT, DRAGONHEART, GETTYSBURG, TALL TALE and SIX DAYS. Plus MOHICANS, obviously. But I've heard a great deal more, and aim to expand my collection at some point. We're still waiting for that massive MACGYVER box to materialize!

Back in the 90s, I didn't like him very much; found him to be a one-trick pony, really. But now, I'm starting to appreciate at least some of his work more.

Out of pure nostalgia, I have a soft spot for a few of his cheesy 90s scores.  Kindergarten Cop, Angels in the Outfield, The Mask.

I mean this just sounds like childhood in the early 90s to me.

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Out of pure nostalgia, I have a soft spot for a few of his cheesy 90s scores.  Kindergarten Cop, Angels in the Outfield, The Mask.

I heard Angels before I was aware of The Natural and so that one did pretty much blow me away as a kiddo. Nice theme.

Leave It To Beaver is another nostalgia sweet spot for me.