John Williams correspondence

filmmusic

I was wondering, has anyone ever seen any correspondence of John Williams? Or is there anything online?

I was browsing through a pdf that describes the Nelson Riddle collection in the Arizona University and among the correspondence section there are 2 items with John Williams (August 1 1975).

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, having in mind that "Jaws" was released on 20th June 1975 and the correspondece dates a bit more than a month later, maybe Nelson Riddle sent a letter to Williams to congratulate him on his score? :unsure:

Lukas Kendall wrote this, in a recent FSM blog post:

There was some fascinating documentation at USC, including Williams’s personal correspondence when he was in London working on the movie. Most of the letters are business-like but a couple of them are more personal. I wish someone would write a Williams biography!

Dear Diary,

Today I bought a new black turtle neck shirt. Now I have two dozen. Happy days!

Steven says he loved my two-note shark motif. He is easily impressed. Next week I'll show him my one-note Superman theme. Ha -- no composer would be stupid enough to try that!

Sandy says he's tired of transcribing my orchestrations. There's this new guy, Karam -- maybe he's more quiet.

Finished sessions for the new Star Wars film today. That violinist, Tom Newman, he'll have a very promising career ahead of him playing violin.

Steven has a new film coming up. I look forward to scoring it with much anticipation. Think it's called "The Color Purple".

So far nobody's noticed I lifted three of my themes from one opening cue by ... perhaps I've said too much.

Created another cute furry leitmotif. Yub! Yub!

Dear Diary,

Steven says he loved my two-note shark motif. He is easily impressed. Next week I'll show him my one-note Superman theme. Ha -- no composer would be stupid enough to try that!

Sandy says he's tired of transcribing my orchestrations. There's this new guy, Karam -- maybe he's more quiet.

Finished sessions for the new Star Wars film today. That violinist, Tom Newman, he'll have a very promising career ahead of him playing violin.

Steven has a new film coming up. I look forward to scoring it with much anticipation. Think it's called "The Color Purple".

So far nobody's noticed I lifted three of my themes from one opening cue by ... perhaps I've said too much.

:lol:

Perhaps Williams doesn't just not use computers... perhaps he's illiterate. Maybe he can only read & write music.

And I thought he lives and breathes music.

Dear Diary,