Hans Zimmer and Mozart

indy4

Listen to 1:46 of Mozart's Ave Verum Corpus, and compare it to 2:46 of "To Die For." And please, before anybody accuses me of stalking Hans Zimmer, know that I like the man as a composer, and The Lion King is one of my favorites. Just thought this was interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8599NL4_zY4

Yeah, definitely a reference. But really, considering the quality of the entire score, Zimmer is easily forgiven. "To Die For" is one of those cues that, when listened to outside of the movie, triggers off such a devastating emotional reaction. Does this happen to anyone else?

Absolutely. It's a beautiful marriage of film and score... And the theme from 3:20 (don't know the score well enough to give it a name... but it's my favourite from the film) is incredible.

Interestingly, I recently noticed that if you take away the third note of that theme (the pickup) it is the first 4 pitches of Dies Irae. I'm also not familiar enough with the film to label the theme, but it sounds like it could be a theme for

Mufasa or Mufasa's death,

which would make sense.

Yep, when I first saw The Lion King back then, I noticed the similarity. That scene is still heartbreaking.

I've always been aware of it. I recently watched the movie though and noticed that it's less of a clone than I had remembered.

Don`t even compare zimmer with mozart!1,zimmer isn`t no where near genius of mozart and just slightly different composers lol.personaly don`t see what people see in zimmer`s music really can`t.

HA hAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA , Hilarious you guys have finally lost your mind Boua haaa haaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

H hAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I'm sorry no really....seriously???

The one note guy for Batman The Dark Night???? Really???

The one big brass block chord at inception???

I mean really, you compare him to Mozart???

These two names should never NEVEE be typed at the same sentence.

But, thanks, I haven't laughed so much in a loooong time, cheers mate!!

It's not necessarily related to talent when one composer lifts, to whatever extent, a theme from another. But as I said, while Zimmer's theme is clearly very close and probably based on Mozart's, it's actually different enough to stand on its own. And it's not bad.

No-one was comparing him. Someone was just pointing out a curious similarity in two musical excerpts.

Seriously dude, there's no need to be an ass. I'm allowed to like Zimmer and Mozart. Hell, I'm allowed to like Zimmer and NOT Mozart, and that says nothing about myself as a person.

I don't see any resemblence, there's a choir and some common chord progression. They are both dramatic pieces of music, then those things happen. It's just coincidence.

• 5 months later...

Wow... So I was not the only one who noticed the similarities;)

But what do you think about this: Compare the part from 1:10-1:24 to the main theme of Mozart's Lacrimosa (from the Requiem (KV 626))? I found the two parts already quite similar when I was a child.

Zimmer's problem is too many notes, as in more than zero.

Joey, about your signature: is that an actual quote of Michael G. ...?

I don't know, I can't see my sig.

Nor can I find how to make it visible.

Joey, about your signature: is that an actual quote of Michael G. ...?

I don't know, I can't see my sig.

Nor can I find how to make it visible.

Click on your own screen name in the upper right corner. Choose "My Settings" from the dropdown. Uncheck "Ignore all signatures when reading topics". Click Save Changes.

You can never have too many notes!

:thumbup:

btw, tell your brother (??) to not exclude us non-us residents from participating in CD giveaway contests :(

You tell him :P

Mention it in the e-mail and offer to pay the few dollars for shipping if you win or something.

• 2 years later...

HA hAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA , Hilarious you guys have finally lost your mind Boua haaa haaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

H hAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I'm glad you're gone.

I'm glad you're gone.

He wasn't wrong though. Even you must see that.

Pretty hypocritical of Salacius, to leave a forum because people joked about Williams, while spouting hate about Zimmer while here