Leonard Rosenman's Star Trek 4 (Complete and Remastered) released by Intrada

Jay

This is definitely a big enough title to warrant its own thread.

INTRADA

Announces:

386691_10150428732867169_569387168_8348222_1731670706_n.jpg

STAR TREK IV: THE VOYAGE HOME

Music Composed and Conducted by LEONARD ROSENMAN

INTRADA Special Collection MAF 7114

Intrada ends 2011 with one last major release - the complete Leonard Rosenman score to Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. The second film in the series under the helm of director Leonard Nimoy, Nimoy choose a lighter approach to this outing and injected liberal amounts of well-placed humor. For this fourth entry, Nimoy introduced another element he had wanted to bring on board earlier in the series: the music of Leonard Rosenman. Rosenman's Star Trek IV music bears the hallmarks of the composer’s distinctive style: vaulting brass figures, complex textural passages, thumping suspense motives. The main theme—and also Kirk’s theme—is upbeat, heraldic and heroic, its optimistic flavor cutting a different path than the other scores in the series.

For this release, Intrada worked from the original session masters housed at Paramount, reassembling the complete score in film order. This presentation also includes numerous bonus tracks, including alternates and the song "I Hate You." A stand-out is an alternate version of the "Main Title." Rosenman created this stately arrangement of Alexander Courage’s classic Star Trek theme to accompany the first part of the opening credits, which appear against a background of deep space.

Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986) became one of the most popular and enthusiastically reviewed films to feature the original cast and the first to play primarily as a comedy. The film ties up the loose ends from The Search for Spock: Spock reunites with Admiral James T. Kirk (William Shatner), Dr. Leonard McCoy (DeForest Kelley) and his friends from the now-destroyed U.S.S. Enterprise. Star Trek IV provides an adventure that restores Spock to his role as a sage science officer while rehabilitating the reputation of Kirk and his crew in the eyes of the Federation as they save earth -- again -- from certain destruction.

INTRADA MAF 7114

Retail Price: $19.99

Available for Pre-Order Now

For track listing and sound samples, please visit

http://store.intrada...it.A/id.7334/.f

STAR TREK IV: THE VOYAGE HOME

Label: Intrada MAF 7114

Date: 1986

Tracks: 24

Time = 72:44

World premiere release of complete Leonard Rosenman score to all-time classic fourth installment of legendary STAR TREK feature-film franchise, starring William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, directed by Nimoy. Intrada presentation is part of current ongoing CD restoration series of complete STAR TREK film soundtracks being overseen by Paramount, this one through courtesy of both Paramount, UMG. (Other titles appear on Film Score Monthly, La-La Land labels.) Time travel, whales feature in this particular movie, Rosenman draws inspiration from both in exciting score. Musical ideas are sometimes energetic, exciting, sometimes cerebral, complex. Rosenman even gives thematic attention to Chekov, a franchise rarity! Complete Intrada CD restoration offers full score with previously unreleased cues, versions appearing on 1986 MCA album plus several alternates including Rosenman's unused take on famous Alexander Courage TV theme. Fun to hear Rosenman's own signature brass "pyramid" at climax of Courage's melody! CD even includes wild "I Hate You" by Kirk Thatcher, Mark Mangini that annoys Star Trek crew on San Francsico bus ride. Production by Lukas Kendall, mix & assembly by Mike Matessino plus definitive liner notes by Jeff Bond round out stellar package, itself designed by Joe Sikoryak to comfortably fit in with other STAR TREK feature soundtrack restorations. Leonard Rosenman conducts.

01. Logo/Main Title† 2:52

02. Starfleet Command/On Vulcan/Spock/Ten Seconds of Tension 1:40

03. The Probe 1:16

04. The Probe—Transition/The Take-Off/Menace of the Probe/Clouds and Water/Crew Stunned 3:08

05. Time Travel 1:28

06. Market Street* 4:38

07. In San Francisco 2:01

08. Chekov’s Run 1:21

09. Gillian Seeks Kirk 2:42

10. Hospital Chase 1:14

11. The Whaler 2:00

12. Crash/Whale Fugue 8:38

13. Kirk Freed 0:44

14. Home Again†/End Credits 5:39

Total Score Time: 40:06

THE EXTRAS

15. Ballad of the Whale* 4:59

16. Main Title† (alternate) 2:56

17. Time Travel (alternate) 1:29

18. Chekov’s Run (album ending) 1:19

19. The Whaler (alternate) 2:05

20. Crash/Whale Fugue (album track) 8:15

21. Home Again† and End Credits (alternate) 5:16

22. Main Title† (album track) 2:40

23. Whale Fugue (alternate) 1:05

24. I Hate You** (contains explicit lyrics) 1:59

Total Extras Time: 32:32

*Performed by The Yellowjackets, Composed by Leonard Rosenman, Russell Ferrante and Jimmy Haslip.

**Performed by Edge of Etiquette, Written by Kirk Thatcher, Arranged by Mark Mangini.

†Contains “Theme From Star Trek (TV Series)” by Alexander Courage

The only thing that isn't clear on Intrada's website or forums - as far as I've seen - is exactly when it ships. Does anybody know?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I messaged Roger on Facebook about shipping deal and he said the reason why there's no specific date is because they're still waiting to hear back from the pressing plant. Otherwise there would have been a set shipping date in said announcement.

Either way I'm really excited about this release. I never thought I would be able to hear the scores for Star Trek II through V in their complete form.

I may see if I can have a go at editing the prologue when this comes out. Always felt it worked well as an overture.

I'm truly surprised they didn't include their own edit as a bonus track, especially considering they had the room to include it

When I listened to the samples, I really paid attention to the film version for "Logo / Main Titles". The old MCA disc had a really horrible edit between the two materials. This time though Matessino did a hell of a job at blending those two together properly. That was one thing that always bugged me about the old MCA disc was that jump in the two different pieces.

I'm not getting it just yet. Since my dad doesn't live all that far from their retail store, I'm thinking about dropping by while I visit him for the holidays.

But otherwise, this is a damn nifty set here. Can't wait to own it. :)

This movie didn't exactly take place in the Star Trek universe. It was more our world circa the 80s, with the Star Trek crew bumbling around. I feel the music fit like a glove.

Trent, I was just on Intrada's messageboard looking for that information and they have posted NOTHING about it yet.

Trent, I was just on Intrada's messageboard looking for that information and they have posted NOTHING about it yet.

Okay thanks Jason.

Rumors have it, that this will be released later this week.

It's almost at the end of the week all ready..so I think those rumors were wrong.

I noticed that "Crash / Whale Fugue" was longer for the time compared to the album version. Now grant the album version is listed as a bonus track but curious about that I emailed Mike Matessino regarding this cue. This is what he had to say on the matter.

Yeah, the cue was originally longer and strangely, even though they didn't use a lot of the "conversation" stuff in the film, they shortened the cue for the album in such a way that it still fit the film exactly.

In the film there is an alternate (to my ears of course) to when the probe turns to leave, where it favors Rosenman's Trek theme to the Spock motif (where in the album its the other way around)

Interesting about the Crash / Whale Fugue.

One piece of editing I might do for my HD would be to separate out the short cues into individual tracks, and place "I Hate You" into it's place in the score order (After the "San Francisco cue").

Interesting about the Crash / Whale Fugue.

One piece of editing I might do for my HD would be to separate out the short cues into individual tracks, and place "I Hate You" into it's place in the score order (After the "San Francisco cue").

For my iPod I too will be separating the cues that were meant to be separated. I'll leave out "I Hate You" because I don't want it to disrupt the flow of the score.

Intrada's front page says late December for Star Trek IV. I just checked there to nab an album cover to the last album I tagged.

I am going to leave the song as the last track on the album because by that point, the "score" has concluded. Putting it where it goes in the movie would be jarring.

Unless Leonard Nimoy stops by and nerve pinches my iPod.

I think I'm likely to organize my virtual albums like so:

Star Trek 04 - The Voyage Home

==============================

1. Logo / Main Title

2. Starfleet Command

3. On Vulcan

4. Spock

5. Ten Seconds of Tension

6. The Probe

7. The Probe—Transition

8. The Take-Off

9. Menace of the Probe

10. Clouds and Water

11. Crew Stunned

12. Time Travel

13. Market Street

14. In San Francisco

15. I Hate You

16. Chekov’s Run

17. Gillian Seeks Kirk

18. Hospital Chase

19. The Whaler

20. Crash / Whale Fugue

21. Kirk Freed

22. Home Again / End Credits

Star Trek 04 - The Voyage Home - Extras and Alternates

======================================================

1. Main Title (album track)

2. Time Travel (alternate)

3. Chekov’s Run (album ending)

4. The Whaler (alternate)

5. Crash / Whale Fugue (album track)

6. Main Title (alternate)

7. Whale Fugue (alternate)

8. Home Again and End Credits (alternate)

9. Ballad of the Whale

Battlecruiser (D7) was seen in TMP, Kobayashi Maru Simulation in Trek II (stock footage from TMP used on simulator view screen), and in VI. Cloaking was not established at that time (though it was for a ship from that era in TNG, so we know they could cloak).

Bird-of-Prey was introduced in III, and was subsequently seen in VI (experimental model that could fire when cloaked) and Generations (including stock footage from VI).

Just being the nerd :)

• 3 weeks later...

My copy has shipped!

Awesome to know they're now shipping. :) I can't wait to get mine.

I thought about starting tomorrow to listen to Star Trek The Motion Picture, then on Thursday listen to Star Trek II and on Friday listen to Star Trek III. If I get my copy of Star Trek IV by Friday or at least this weekend I'll listen to that once I get it.

Battlecruiser (D7) was seen in TMP, Kobayashi Maru Simulation in Trek II (stock footage from TMP used on simulator view screen), and in VI. Cloaking was not established at that time (though it was for a ship from that era in TNG, so we know they could cloak).

Bird-of-Prey was introduced in III, and was subsequently seen in VI (experimental model that could fire when cloaked) and Generations (including stock footage from VI).

Just being the nerd :)

Actually cloaking devices were established in the Original Series.

Anyways regarding the Bird Of Prey that could fire while cloaked, that was the only one the Klingons developed and it was a prototype. Had it been successful the Klingons would have probably built more. However, as we know it was only detected through the neutron radiation surge and of course a rigged torpedo.

It wouldn't have surprised me by the time Nemesis came along that the Romulans / Remans took that idea and made a super predator ship that could fire while cloaked and leave no trace behind. They probably also used the gathered information from the Defiant when she was on missions in the Gamma Quadrent to refine the cloak even more.

Trent,

Romulan Cloaking Devices were seen in Balance of Terror and The Enterprise Incident.

Klingon vessels were not shown to cloak until the Bird of Prey in Star Trek III.

The cloaked Klingon ship was actually a Romulan ship using Klingon design (The Enterprise Incident). It is widely theorized that the Klingons got the Cloaking Device during the brief treaty with the Klingons in exchange for the D7 designs.

The experimental Bird of Prey that could fire while cloaked was detected by the Neutron radiation surge, as you said, though of course the thing apparently "had a tailpipe", so the impulse exhaust gasses (I assume) were used as a tracer for the Enterprise's "doctored" photon torpedo.

God, we are such nerds on this board :P

Hope mine ships soon ...

Yes we are nerds for this subject but proud of it! I got an order fulfillment from Intrada not too long ago. Not sure how long it generally is between that and when the CD is shipped.

Trent,

Romulan Cloaking Devices were seen in Balance of Terror and The Enterprise Incident.

Klingon vessels were not shown to cloak until the Bird of Prey in Star Trek III.

The cloaked Klingon ship was actually a Romulan ship using Klingon design (The Enterprise Incident). It is widely theorized that the Klingons got the Cloaking Device during the brief treaty with the Klingons in exchange for the D7 designs.

The experimental Bird of Prey that could fire while cloaked was detected by the Neutron radiation surge, as you said, though of course the thing apparently "had a tailpipe", so the impulse exhaust gasses (I assume) were used as a tracer for the Enterprise's "doctored" photon torpedo.

God, we are such nerds on this board :P

Hope mine ships soon ...

Nerd. :lick:

Actually, I knew all that, too. And don't forget the treaty that prohibts the Federation from using cloaking devices ("Pegasus", TNG).

And I believe it was Data that pointed out in a TNG episode that there were other races that used cloaking as well.

Makes me wonder why Klingon and Romulan ships of the 24th century didn't have 24th century "tailpipe" equialents.

The Treaty of Angeron. I believe the Breen also have cloaking technology.

I suspect impulse and warp signatures could be hidden better with improvements from earlier cloaking technology.

The BOP in Star Trek III has a rather visible energy distortion, so it was far from perfect (Kind of a wavy effect, almost like the atmospheric distortions that can happen when looking at stars through a telescope).

Okay, I think us Trek fans are scaring everyone else on the board. :)