James Horner - Black Gold

Jay

I just found out that Varese Sarabande will be releasing an OST to James Horner's Black Gold on February 7th

BLACK GOLD

Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Music Composed by

James Horner

(Titanic, Avatar. Aliens)

Under the unforgiving desert sky, two warring leaders come face to face.

The victorious Nesib, Emir of Hobeika, lays down his peace terms to his rival Amar, Sultan of Salmaah. The two men agree that neither can lay claim to the area of no man’s land between them called The Yellow Belt. In return, Nesib will adopt Amar’s two boys Saleeh and Auda as a guarantee that neither man can invade the other.

Twelve years later, Saleeh and Auda have grown into young men. Saleeh, the warrior, itches to escape his gilded cage and return to his father’s land. Auda cares only for books and the pursuit of knowledge. One day, their adopted father Nesib is visited by an American from Texas. He tells the Emir that his land is blessed with oil and promises him riches beyond his wildest imagination. Nesib imagines a realm of infinite possibility, a kingdom with roads, schools and hospitals all paid for by the black gold beneath the barren sand. There is only one problem. The precious oil is located in the Yellow Belt.

The stage is now set for an epic showdown for control of the Yellow Belt, for control of the two kingdoms, for control of the future.

James Horner is one of the most celebrated modern film composers. Having created the music for dozens of the most memorable and successful films of the past two decades, Horner was honored with two Academy Awards and two Golden Globes for James Cameron’s Titanic.

In addition, he has earned Academy Award nominations for his Original Scores for Avatar, House of Sand and Fog, A Beautiful Mind, Braveheart, Apollo 13, Field of Dreams and Aliens, and for the Original Song “Somewhere Out There“ from An American Tale.

Horner’s sweeping dramatic score for Black Gold is an integral element to the film which will transport audiences into the heart of the Arabian desert.

Warner Bros. and Universal Pictures will open the film internationally beginning December 23, 2011.

Source: http://www.varesesar...ack-Gold/Detail

I've heard the score and its a powerhouse, with prominent female vocals playing a major part. There are also more than a few piano solos, some other delicate instrumental passages, and a smattering of action music.

I like that Horner is going back to scoring some smaller movies. He also composed the score to Cristiada in 2011, but I haven't heard of a release date for that OST yet.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Horner’s sweeping dramatic score for Black Gold is an integral element to the film which will transport audiences into the heart of the Arabian desert.

sounds cool

sounds cool

Cue "danger motif"! Da da da daaaa.*

*registered trademark of Chaac. ;)

Wait a minute, why Jason has "heard" it? It's only released in France and no soundtrack imminent, how can this be? :sigh:

There's a making of with Horner's score , it's a bit old style Hollywood desert music á la LAWRENCE, some FOUR FEATHERS, some AVATAR/PERFECT STORM-like action, so all in all, it sounds good enough for a new year's buy.

It is nice to hear a new Horner score. I expect it to be quite familiar territory unless Annaud demanded a radical departure from the usual style. Classy though as always with Horner.

A Horner without familiar territory i would refuse to listen to...

I could get used to listening to scores without the danger motif though. Pounding piano crashes and shakuhachi wails I can stand. ;)

Horner does sweeping and dramatic very well! Just because he has a bad rep with plagiarizing doesn't mean he can't write an exciting and dramatic score!

Yeah, i caught Dick on this in another thread, he tries to smuggle it in everywhere, it seems. :sigh:

• 1 month later...

As for Horner, listen to clips from his new BLACK GOLD here:

http://www.cinemamusica.de/1706/epik-und-romantik-im-arabien-der-30er-jahre-first-listen-zu-james-hornes-black-gold

It shapes up to be a great Horner score, full of drama and melody. Together with WAR HORSE, the old pro's got some musical mileage out of 2011.

Black Gold is definitely more original of the two 2011 Horner scores. Cristiada is all danger motif and spanish guitar. Black Gold features some nice choral work

---

Just noticed that Black Gold was pushed back from Feb 7 to Feb 14, and also that Varese's website has the front and back cover art and track list up:

Varese Sarabande Catalog # 302 067 134 2

Release Date: 02/14/12

Track List:

1. Main Title — A Desert Truce (6:34)

2. Horizon To Horizon (3:59)

3. The Wonders Of Wealth (1:49)

4. “I Have Chosen You” (3:22)

5. “You Were A Prince” (1:47)

6. Leaving As An Emissary (5:19)

7. Father And Son (1:50)

8. Phantom Army (1:48)

9. “So This Is War” (1:56)

10. The Blowing Sands (4:27)

11. Fresh Water (1:51)

12. One Brother Lives, One Brother Dies (6:44)

13. Battle In The Oil Fields (5:13)

14. A Kingdom Of Oil (8:43)

a207920134f320e85f8a44l.jpg

a207920134f23b952859f0l.jpg

The clips sounded pretty great. Horner in his sweeping melodrama mode is pretty awesome.

Black Gold is definitely more original of the two 2011 Horner scores. Cristiada is all danger motif and spanish guitar. Black Gold features some nice choral work

Do you blackmail the guy or how comes that you have listened to not on, but two unreleased Horner new scores by now? ;)

Do you blackmail the guy or how comes that you have listened to not on, but two unreleased Horner new scores by now? ;)

Jason is well connected. Or he has a time machine. The latter is highly probable and my best guess.

Just noticed on the back cover: "Piano solos by James Horner"

What!?

He has done that before on some of his scores I think though I do not know to what extent, performing just a few solos or all of them. This would indicate he is featured as the principal piano soloist throughout.

Just noticed on the back cover: "Piano solos by James Horner"

What!?

He has done that before on some of his scores I think though I do not know to what extent, performing just a few solos or all of them. This would indicate he is featured as the principal piano soloist throughout.

Oh OK. I didn't realize he had done it before. I really like some of the piano solos in Black Gold, never would have guessed it was him performing them.

A 60 minute album from Horner is a pretty rare occurence. :P But his drama scores have sometimes a bit shorter albums. Like All the King's Men which is similarly under 60 minutes.

3. The Wonders Of Wealth (1:49)

5. “You Were A Prince” (1:47)

7. Father And Son (1:50)

8. Phantom Army (1:48)

9. “So This Is War” (1:56)

11. Fresh Water (1:51)

Did not check other Horner scores but isn't it rare to have 6 cues with running time under 2 min. on a nowadays Horner CD?

A 60 minute album from Horner is a pretty rare occurence. :P But his drama scores have sometimes a bit shorter albums. Like All the King's Men which is similarly under 60 minutes.

BTW what do you think about All the King's Men, Mikko?

Karol

BTW what do you think about All the King's Men, Mikko?

Karol

It was one Horner score that completely surprised me, positively that is. It is definitely a heavy duty drama score with bittersweet themes and rather great mix of intrigue, romance and tragedy. I had given up on Horner and then he produced this great work that is almost devoid of his normal blantant mannerisms (ok there was one direct Sons of Scotland theme quote but that was it) and filled with good thematic interplay and interesting new sounds mixed with the composer's unmistakable voice. It was almost counterproductive in the film, going ahead full steam and bulldozing the movie with overt emotion but on the album it is a well rounded listening experience with a strong dramatic arc. By no means this is anything new soundwise in Hollywood or for Horner (for the most part) but it is a very strong, melodic and dramatic score. One of my favourite Horner scores infact.

Not exactly the same, the metallic rhythm (the one we've heard quite a bit in Horner's career) is in track 12 but not 10.

• 1 month later...

Aye, but its a short appearance and its harmless enough. Doesn't ever show up in the rest of the score ;)

This is a great score.