Is John Williams your favorite composer?

Jay

Is John Williams your favorite composer?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Is John Williams your favorite composer?

• Yes, I definitely consider John Williams to be my favorite composer, no question.
    • I consider him to be tied with 1 or 2 others as my absolute favorite - I can't pick just one!
    • I can say without question that John Williams is NOT my favorite composer.

I think Brian Tyler is an above average film composer and very good at what he does, and seems to have a sense of integrity as well.

That being said, I don't enjoy his music outside of maybe Children of Dune.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite 25 film composers:

1) John Williams

2) Erich Wolfgang Korngold

3) Jerry Goldsmith

4) Elmer Bernstein

5) Maurice Jarre

6) Dmitri Tiomkin

7) Victor Young

8) David Raksin

9) Max Steiner

10) Jerome Moross

11) Anton Profes

12) Wojciech Kilar

13) Ennio Morricone

14) John Barry

15) Sergei Yevtushenko

16) David Arnold

17) Marc Shaiman

18) Michael Convertino

19) Edward Shearmur

20) Ilan Eshkeri

21) Miklos Rosza

22) Bernard Herrmann

23) Brian Tyler

24) Andrew Lockington

25) James Horner

David Arnold above Benny Herrmann?

LOL.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

For film composers, that is - somehow I thought this thread was exclusively about them.

I'm talking about in comparison to other film composers, not comparing him against long-dead classical music composers.

Originally it was about film composers.

Maybe the title made us to spread it to also to classical music.

1) John Williams

2) Erich Wolfgang Korngold

3) Jerry Goldsmith

4) Elmer Bernstein

5) Maurice Jarre

6) Dmitri Tiomkin

7) Victor Young

8) David Raksin

9) Max Steiner

10) Jerome Moross

11) Anton Profes

12) Wojciech Kilar

13) Ennio Morricone

14) John Barry

15) Sergei Yevtushenko

16) David Arnold

17) Marc Shaiman

18) Michael Convertino

19) Edward Shearmur

20) Ilan Eshkeri

21) Miklos Rosza

22) Bernard Herrmann

23) Brian Tyler

24) Andrew Lockington

25) James Horner

David Arnold above Benny Herrmann?

LOL.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

I have thought well about this list, and changes are made regularly. However I can justify every single position on that list, although from position 15 downward the list is more arbitrary than positions 1-15. I decided to place Arnold relatively high up the list mainly because of Independence Day, which I find more atttractive than anything written by Herrmann. Also Dawn Trader has shifted his position up recently. Herrmann excells in orchestration, but considering his compositional skills I don't like his manneriesm and repetitiveness. Also there are hardly themes, but more motives. As you know I am very keen on music to have strong thematics. Still the music is exceptionally well-written. My overall emotion towards a certain composers' music has given the final verdict.

Let's just say, to each his own.

Let's just say, to each his own, let's respect each others' opinions ok?

So what, he gives his opinion to yours.

I did not appreciate the LOL.

Without the "LOL" his post would have been drab and skippable. Instead he inserted a sense of sarcasm and therefore, personality.

Imagine a world were everyone spoke like MSM on the internet. Yawn.

I don't like his manneriesm and repetitiveness.

Fair 'nuff, but you could also (very convincingly) make the claim that Arnold is the complete opposite. His compositions are all over the place, like an ADHD kid, shouting in your ear in an attempt to describe what's happening in each scene. As they say, less is more, which is why appreciate the simplicity of composers like Herrmann, Barry or Kilar to the obnoxiousness of a guy like a Arnold.

INDEPENDENCE DAY has some nice moments, but they're needles in a haystack. Too much of the score is lifeless ambient filler.

Also there are hardly themes, but more motives

What about the alto sax theme from TAXI DRIVER, the Valse Lente from OBSESSION, the lyrical violin theme from the PSYCHO (you know, the legato melody that sweeps in at the Prelude), the love theme from VERTIGO, THE GHOST AND MRS MUIR, the theme from CAPE FEAR? They may be short, cellular in construction, and mostly vertical and harmonic, they're still themes. But not "tunes", in that you couldn't really turn them into a hit record (though TAXI DRIVER's the exception).

Oh goody.

I don't like his manneriesm and repetitiveness.

Fair 'nuff, but you could also (very convincingly) make the claim that Arnold is the complete opposite. His compositions are all over the place, like an ADHD kid, shouting in your ear in an attempt to describe what's happening in each scene. As they say, less is more, which is why appreciate the simplicity of composers like Herrmann, Barry or Kilar to the obnoxiousness of a guy like a Arnold.

INDEPENDENCE DAY has some nice moments, but they're needles in a haystack. Too much of the score is lifeless ambient filler.

Also there are hardly themes, but more motives

What about the alto sax theme from TAXI DRIVER, the Valse Lente from OBSESSION, the lyrical violin theme from the PSYCHO (you know, the legato melody that sweeps in at the Prelude), the love theme from VERTIGO, THE GHOST AND MRS MUIR, the theme from CAPE FEAR? They may be short, cellular in construction, and mostly vertical and harmonic, they're still themes. But not "tunes", in that you couldn't really turn them into a hit record (though TAXI DRIVER's the exception).

Oh goody.

Ya, maybe you're right but look, I have considered these things. I think artistically Herrmann's music is far superior to Arnold's, for sure. Also his output is of a high standard consistently, while I only really like ID4 from Arnold (I hate his James Bond scores). But in the end it's about the overall feel, including single scores. In this case it helped Arnold that I have a weakness for snare drums :) Anyway the list will change anytime soon. Maybe I should give Herrmann some more listen.

Whoever made this poster for the most epic boring movie of all time put as many big-name people together on the bottom of it.

Guess who gets to write the music for this Jerry Bruckheimer film? :lick:

106141_v1.jpg

We are on a JW forum aren't we?? :)

I voted, way and above another Hans wannabe, yawn worthy, virtual flopchestra, electro plasticola composer our there. Since Jerry passed away John has no one to be compared with.

Over and out

23) Brian Tyler

really??? :crymore: the guy is terrible...

I voted, way and above another Hans wannabe, yawn worthy, virtual flopchestra, electro plasticola composer our there. Since Jerry passed away John has no one to be compared with.

Over and out

23) Brian Tyler

Why you think so? I thought Timeline is a great score. His more techno-style output isn't exactly my taste though. Btw, I am not in bad company, as JW suggested him for the Donner movie.

Over and out

23) Brian Tyler

Why you think so? I thought Timeline is a great score. His more techno-style output isn't exactly my taste though. Btw, I am not in bad company, as JW suggested him for the Donner movie.

Well, Day after tomorrow (forgive me if he didn't do it) was really bad, same for battle for LA. John suggested him?? Really surprised. He even has a YouTube video where loads of the orchestra/Choir isn't even there, blatantly a promotional playback . I don't know . He doesn't feel like the real deal to me. He most definitely doesn’t belong on the list you compiled, again mho. With Steiner? Williams? Goldsmith? These guys were/are giants!!!

John Williams my life long companion since I first discovered him at the age of 4. He is my favorite composer, he is my favorite artist. My relationship with him is stronger than any other than God or my family. Only Steven Spielberg and Stephen King even begin to approach John Williams. If John were a steak he'd be a filet mignon, if he were a nut it would be a pistachio. If he were ice cream he'd be peppermint.

Actually, I'm here because of Michael Giacchino. I keep hearing people say he is the next John Williams, and I'd really like to know who this Williams person actually is.

I find myself always coming back to John Williams more than any other composer or band. His sense of melody, timbre, orchestral complexity, coupled with his story telling ability and emotional presence within his compositions is astounding. I come back to Williams time and time again without fail.

Tim, who finally reached post # 4,000 with this one.

Wow. For a long time 4/5ths of us voted that JW was our absolute favorite composer. Now its down to 3/4ths.

John Williams my life long companion since I first discovered him at the age of 4. He is my favorite composer, he is my favorite artist. My relationship with him is stronger than any other than God or my family. Only Steven Spielberg and Stephen King even begin to approach John Williams. If John were a steak he'd be a filet mignon, if he were a nut it would be a pistachio. If he were ice cream he'd be peppermint.

Age of 4!?! Wow, that's early. I'm not sure I remember anything media-related from that age. Of course, I've been aware of the great music in Williams' films from an early age, but I didn't really become conscious of who he was (and film music in general) untill the early teens, probably age 13-14 or thereabouts.

I'll one up you all: John Williams is my favorite artist.

If by artist you mean musical artist, I agree wholeheartedly. I'd have a hard time comparing him to artists in other fields, though he may have had more influence on me than any other single artist.

If I had meant "musical artist," my post would've been one word longer. ;)

• 1 year later...

John Williams is my favorite music film composer, but not my favorite classical music composer.

My favorite is Bach. Then comes Beethoven and then Mozart. After that, I listen a lot of Mendelssohn, Tchaikovsky, Chopin, Brahms.

Classical I know, but I am, classical!

For film music, Williams is probably second or at least tied for first. For overall maker of music, I dunno... probably some tie between Bach, Debussy, and John Adams.

In general I find it impossible to play favorites though. Not really much point.

He's always been a tricky composer for me. I don't have nearly enough of his music, but from what I have heard he either completely enthralls me or drives me away. I'm a big fan of Twisted Nerve and Taxi Driver. Will have to check this one out.

Get Charles Gerhardt's 'Herrmann: Welles Raises Kane, The Devil and Daniel Webster, Obsession' album. It's a very powerful, larger-than-life score. I know some who've found it too much.

JANE EYRE is another one of my favourite Herrmanns. Underrated by many.