Top 10 scores for European non-English films

filmmusic

I was writing over the Delerue thread, and I thought to open this thread here.

I haven't seen as many European Films as American, but I can distinguish some scores that are great.

You can pick scores written either by American or other ethnicity composer as long as it's for a European , non-English film.

Mine in no particular order:

-Cinema Paradiso (Ennio Morricone)

-Woman Next Door (George Delerue)

-Indochine (Patrick Doyle)

-La Reine Margot (Goran Bregovic)

-Camile Claudel (Gabriel Yared)

-Sissi Trilogy (Anton Profes)

-La Double Vie de Veronique (Zbigniew Preisner)

-Trois Coleurs: Blue (Zbigniew Preisner)

-Cyrano (Jean Claude Petit)

-L'Arche et les Deluges (Gabriel yared)

Nice picks, very much to my taste :)

I'd add anything by Woijiech Kilar from his Polish films, such as Smuga Czenia and Pan Tadeusz. Some Tan Dan (Crouching Tiger). Some Bollywood movies have nice music.

I don't know any others

I've seen plenty of non-English European films (mostly French), but none of them had any scores that I have since listened to on its own.

Copernicus' Star, on the other hand, I've never seen the film lol.

Pan's Labyrinth is a Spanish Film.

BloodBoal you mean you haven't seen ANY of the films I've put in my list for example?

oh, you're missing much I think. Of course everyone has his own taste, but some of those films are considered very good.

here's the End Credits of Cyrano. A magnificent music for a magnificent film. (in the second half you can hear the theme)

Directed by a mexican dude, and produced by mexicans? :huh:

BloodBoal you mean you haven't seen ANY of the films I've put in my list for example?

oh, you're missing much I think. Of course everyone has his own taste, but some of those films are considered very good.

No I haven't. I'll try to watch them.

Cyrano de Bergerac's End Credits sound pretty damn good! I'll have to check that one.

Hmmmm... You're absolutely right! My mistake!

Pan's Labyrinth was nominated for best foreign film Oscar representing Mexico.

as for Cyrano: there is also a piece in the soundtrack which is a "copy" (I mean heavily influenced) of the Batman theme. it was very funny.. But can't find it in youtube..

Oh, here it is:

http://grooveshark.c...ergerac/5082666 (I believe this is legal, right?)

it's "The Gate of Nesle" (0.22'' -...)

Petit was sued by composer Danny Elfman for plagiarism. At the express request of director Jean-Paul Rappeneau, Petit quite freely adapted the main theme from Batman. Petit finally won the suit, proving meanwhile that Elfman's music contained some similarities to Petit's music too

source: http://www.musicweb-...e_bergerac.html

edit: Listening over and over to the Cyrano End Credits, I wish we had more such ecclectic scores as this nowadays.. *Sigh*

Thanks!

If you can change your quote, since I edited my post.. ;)

Crouching Tiger or Bollywood movies can't do, because we are asking for European films.. ;)

O yes my fault.

I will make use of this thread to promote some music of my favorite living film composer only second to John Williams, Woijiech Kilar, which he wrote for Polish movies:

Absolutely wonderful!! (listening to first piece)

I don't know, but as much i love Williams, Goldsmith and other American composers there is something in European Composers that American don't have. Maybe melodramatic sentimentality? I don't know..

When I was a little kid, I had a soft spot for this tune. It's from a TV series.

Another cool one.

I'm not a fan of this score, but it has some cool underdeveloped themes.

Karol

I don't know, but as much i love Williams, Goldsmith and other American composers there is something in European Composers that American don't have. Maybe melodramatic sentimentality? I don't know..

I think European composers generally tend to write more in the European tradition, using often classic European forms (like the waltz or the polonaise) and orchestration. Of course in some cases it is obvious (Anton Profes was a Vienna based composer who's direct predecessors were Mahler, Strauss and Korngold) in more recent cases it is intended. Also Euroepan scores are less influecned by popular music than American music is, and film music has a different function in European films, more sketching the overall atmosphere of a scene instead of directly underscoring the on-sreen action and emotions.

Polonaise???

Not the polonaise as it done at parties :) but the old polish dance music in 3/4 meter (listen to the 3rd video I posted above).

I would argue that American/Hollywood film music is the KING of melodramatic sentimentality.

I don't know if there is such a thing as a "European" sound. There are so many different countries, each with its own musical traditions. And the composers themselves are also as different in style as anywhere else, no matter which country they're from.

However, you may argue that there's a certain sense of pervading RESTRAINT running through many of them, as opposed to the American counterpart. Less "on-the-nose", maybe. Not necessarily for better or worse, just a possible difference. But then you have European composers making "Hollywood"-like film music too, so the comparison quickly falls apart.

I would argue that American/Hollywood film music is the KING of melodramatic sentimentality.

I don't know if there is such a thing as a "European" sound. There are so many different countries, each with its own musical traditions. And the composers themselves are also as different in style as anywhere else, no matter which country they're from.

However, you may argue that there's a certain sense of pervading RESTRAINT running through many of them, as opposed to the American counterpart. Less "on-the-nose", maybe. Not necessarily for better or worse, just a possible difference. But then you have European composers making "Hollywood"-like film music too, so the comparison quickly falls apart.

E X A C T L Y

Directed by a mexican dude, and produced by mexicans? :huh:

No I haven't. I'll try to watch them.

Cyrano de Bergerac's End Credits sound pretty damn good! I'll have to check that one.

Hmmmm... You're absolutely right! My mistake!

Pan's Labyrinth was nominated for best foreign film Oscar representing Mexico.

It is a Mexican/Spanish film. Co-produced by companies/people from both countries. most of the cast and crew are spanish, as are al locations and story setting.

In fact i think there was some controversy here because our academy did not push this film to be at the oscars for our country since they had other spaish favourite film that year. Epic fail.

It is a fantastic score indeed! I've got a complete recording of it, with all the orthodox liturgical stuff as well and I'm loving it.

While we're at old scores. Georges Auric's Beauty and the Beast, Arthur Honneger's Les Miserables. and, of course, Godfrid Huppertz's Metropolis.

This year's La Ligne Droite (with the score by Patrick Doyle) is fantastic too.

There is simply too much to choose from.

Karol

Does The Legend of 1900 count? What about Heidi kehrt heim?

Les rivières pourpres has a great score by Coulais.

"Heidi" no, as it is in English. FFI on "Heidi" see my last post on the "what was the last film you saw?" thread.

BTW does Russia count as "Europe" now, because, if it does, then "Solaris" would definitely be in my top 3?

Practically everything Nino Rota ever did was absolutely amazing, with some of my sentimental favorites being Il Casanova (with its very 1970's trippiness) and La Strada.

I like also Astor Piazzolla's occasional forays into movie scores.

As Nick Parker mentioned, Nino Rota's work with Fellini including La Dolce Vita and Amarcord. Prokofiev's Alexander Nevsky may be one of the best film scores ever written. I've never seen Lt. Kije (aka The Czar Wants to Sleep) but I've heard Prokofiev's concert suite and the music is used in the Alec Guinness film The Horse's Mouth and it's very nice. I remember liking Tiersen's music for Amelie when I first saw the film.

I second that vote on Copernicus' Star. I also offer Debbie Wiseman's terrific score for Arsene Lupin -- love that score as well as Jane Antonia Cornish's score for the Danish fantasy film De Fortabte Sjaeles. Incredible theme, action music and end credits suite.

I do like Fernando Velasquez's scores for Shiver and El Mal Ajeno, but I wouldn't rank them in the Top 10.

• 3 months later...

There are so many, I wouldn't know where to start.

Someone mentioned PELLE EROBREREN above. That's a gloriously beautiful theme, as is much of Stefan Nilsson's music.

From my own country, there are certainly some excellent things too. My favourite film theme of all time is from our most famous film (often hailed as the 'best Norwegian film of all time'), the puppet film FLÅKLYPA GRAND PRIX, written by Danish composer Bent Fabricius Bjerre:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8qhkBmO3jc

This is another very famous theme for the film ORIONS BELTE:

• 1 year later...

Setting aside guys like Morricone, Rota, and Delerue, which is a list that goes on forever as it is, Michel Legrand's The Umbrellas of Cherbourg has to be tops, for me (here's JW's arrangement with Itzhak Perlman):

Krzysztof Penderecki's score for The Saragossa Manuscript:

Miles Davis's score for Elevator to the Gallows:

Favorite composer/director collaborations: Zbigniew Preisner's work with Krzysztof Kieslowski was transcendant, spell-binding stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqUcF8Ssbl0

Alberto Iglesias and Pedro Almodovar:

Alexandre Desplat and Jacques Audiard:

I guess that's 10!

And here's a cool article that I found with a few more: http://filmscoreclicktrack.com/2010/11/9-favorite-foreign-film-scores/

• 8 years later...
On 14/12/2011 at 8:22 PM, filmmusic said:

La Double Vie de Veronique (Zbigniew Preisner)

Interesting choice. I've tried to like this soundtrack several times, but I still can't hear what's so good about it. Please help opening my ears.

8 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Interesting choice. I've tried to like this soundtrack several times, but I still can't hear what's so good about it. Please help opening my ears.

Well, if you don't like it, you don't like it. Have you listened to/do you like other Preisner soundtracks?

Maybe he isn't your cup of tea.

1 minute ago, filmmusic said:

Well, if you don't like it, you don't like it. Have you listened to/do you like other Preisner soundtracks?

Maybe he isn't your cup of tea.

I've checked out quite a few of his albums, and my favourite is still Bleu.

What's your favourite tracks of Veronique?