The Adventures of Tintin SEQUEL Anticipation thread

Muad'Dib

On 12/10/2018 at 8:14 PM, TheUlyssesian said:

Williams score for the first Tintin is a masterpiece. It is a dazzling tour de force from start to finish with dozens of themes and motifs running across the score. The tempo is often exhilarating and the orchestral complexity is Harry Potter level. 

How is it just an okay score?

The Tintin score always sounded to me like an Indiana Jones score but without a concise theme. Normally, that is nothing that bothers me. Look at War of the Worlds. Great score. But Tintin was a kind of movie where I would have expected some reconizable main theme for the hero throughout the film, and it probably would have had if the film would have been made in the 80s. Stiil, yes of course is the score brillant.

49 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

The Tintin score always sounded to me like an Indiana Jones score but without a concise theme. Normally, that is nothing that bothers me. Look at War of the Worlds. Great score. But Tintin was a kind of movie where I would have expected some reconizable main theme for the hero throughout the film, and it probably would have had if the film would have been made in the 80s. Stiil, yes of course is the score brillant.

It does have a fantastic hero theme. It just doesn't have a concert suite. You need to listen to the score to enjoy the theme. But it is there. And it is extremely memorable.

How do I know this? I was doodling on the piano for some friends of mine and they are film fans but not film score films. And even they could recognize the Tintin theme when I played it for them.

43 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

It does have a fantastic hero theme. It just doesn't have a concert suite. You need to listen to the score to enjoy the theme. But it is there. And it is extremely memorable.

How do I know this? I was doodling on the piano for some friends of mine and they are film fans but not film score films. And even they could recognize the Tintin theme when I played it for them.

That says something about my musical sensitivity. Usually, I thought I might recognize memorable themes. But missing an extremely memorable theme does not give me good marks here, I guess.

But I don't give up and will listen to it again.

13 hours ago, crumbs said:

Took too long, Jackson. Someone else is planning a live action adaptation:

Safe to say an animated Tintin sequel would be shelved indefinitely, if someone established a live action version.

I don´t know if those would influence each other much. But perhaps this is the much needed kick in the butt for Jackson to get it rolling. I want my Tintin 2 Score by Williams!

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

I thought the Unicorn treasure theme was actually very good and effective. It was a macguffin melody straight out of an Indiana Jones adventure. 

I think the Unicorn theme is even better than Tintin's theme, which I never found all that memorable.

Shame there wasn't a sequel for him to explore the ideas in greater depth (but who knows what he recorded in those early sessions that never surfaced).

12 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

The Jackson sequel is dead folks. I think that has been obvious for years now.

And if they make a french live action movie, you can bet a fortune that Desplat will score it.

I hope with Tintin dead he can finally get around to his Dambusters remake 

The Hollywood Reporter reported that Peter Jackson, who is best known for directing The Lord of the Rings trilogy, had optioned the rights to the series. Jackson added that Temeraire "is a terrific meld of two genres that I particularly love—fantasy and historical epic. I can't wait to see Napoleonic battles fought with a squadron of dragons. That's what I go to the movies for."[9] On July 24, 2009 in an interview with IGN, Jackson stated that he had considered making the story as a mini-series, as he was worried that if the first movie flopped at the box office, it would put the story at a full stop and leave it incomplete.[10] On Naomi Novik's AMA on reddit on February 24, 2016, Novik said that the film rights had reverted to her once again, and there is no plan for any adaptation at the moment.[11]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temeraire_(series)

16 hours ago, Jay said:

Live action is a dumb idea. Spielberg proved CGI works great but hand drawn would be fantastic 

Basically all stories already exist as hand-drawn animation.

Those work pretty well.

With a cool main theme too.

A few live action films also already exist.

Not based on the comics, but with unique stories.

I may have watched one at some point.

But I can't even remember that for sure...