How obsessed are you with editing expanded SW Prequel scores

King Mark

53 members have voted

1. 1. How obsessed are you

• I go into an editing frenzy for several days after new files come out and even forget to eat and sleep
    • I let others do it for me (can't edit, too lazy, no patience)
    • I'll wait untill official releases come out to listen to expanded Prequel scores
    • I have no interest in the SW prequel scores
    • I do only a bit of casual editing of the major unreleased cues

At this point, I'd advise you to wait for complete score releases instead of spending a lot of money on games just to get that music.

The complete releases are coming, I can feel it! I give it 5 years tops before we get them, but it will probably be less than that.

I wasn't actually planning on getting the games, I'm just interested to see what's out there and where.

So I'm guessing there isn't a resource like this and one has to wade through pages and pages of posts to piece all the information together.

Over 4000 posts to wade through, and that's just part 1. Thanks but I think I'll do as BloodBoal suggested and just wait and hope for these to get released officially.

3 hours ago, Jilal said:

Yup, there is.

Hope that answers your question.

:lol:

51 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Over 4000 posts to wade through, and that's just part 1. Thanks but I think I'll do as BloodBoal suggested and just wait and hope for these to get released officially.

There's this for TPM. It's probably super out of date though.

http://www.jwfan.com/?p=2887

Might be something interesting here as well:

http://www.jwfan.com/?p=3417

-------------------

It's kind of funny reading this thread - the mood now is so similar!

Some think prequel releases must be right around the corner, and KM is preaching his bleak outlook. :lol:

I used to spend hours/days on creating an Episode 3 Ultimate/Expanded/Complete Edition, but eventually just got tired of hearing sound effects in it and vowed to wait until the official releases arrive. That was 9 years ago...

SWTOR is definitely the best resource. Then there's Battlefront 2, TFU 1&2, the TPM computer game, Galactic Battlegrounds, Galaxies, and Bounty Hunter. But as I said, SWTOR contains the most amount of music, and it has almost all of the music the other rips do.

As I still currently work on the unreleased music and upload it to YouTube frequently, I would try to make some sort of resource for the files, but that would take weeks and weeks to make probably. Plus, since Sony Classical lost the rights just over a week ago, I don't even think it'd be worth it. We could literally get complete scores at any time. Or not.

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

Are the music files easily accessible or does one have to use all sorts off ripping software to get them?

You should be able to download the files (ripped by a 13 year old me :)) as well as countless other game rips somewhere on that hive of scum and villainy, the FFShrine forums.

A member here made some very handy editing guides in the form of Excel sheets - you should be able to find them in the Part I thread (tip: search for "editing guide").

6 hours ago, Jilal said:

A member here made some very handy editing guides in the form of Excel sheets - you should be able to find them in the Part I thread (tip: search for "editing guide").

Thanks, I'll have a look.

6 hours ago, Jilal said:

You should be able to download the files (ripped by a 13 year old me :)) as well as countless other game rips somewhere on that hive of scum and villainy, the FFShrine forums.

46 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Thanks, I'll have a look. I won't be downloading the files though, I plan on purchasing the game to access the music, even if it requires playing the game to hear the music.

Edit: Seems that the editing guide has been taken down.

Oh well.

Yeah, looks like @Henry Buck took them down in 2009 because he thought they were too out of date. But I'm sure you could ask him; he might still have them! 

Ok so I found the guides listing everything. It seems incredibly complicated so I guess I'll go back to patiently waiting for the expanded releases.

Hopefully they'll happen this year for the 40th, or maybe in 2019 for the 20th of TPM.

Thanks for all the replies.

12 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Ok so I found the guides listing everything. It seems incredibly complicated so I guess I'll go back to patiently waiting for the expanded releases.

Where? I've actually never seen them. :)

Yeah, I kind of fell out of the editing loop around 2009, so while I have saved documents somewhere (on some external hard drive in storage, I think), they wouldn't be optimal. Others have done up to date work, though.

I remember wanting to do my own complete edits of the scores at one point, but after realizing that for many cues, you need to use 5 different sources or more, I quickly gave up and preferred to wait for proper complete releases.

2 to 3 different sources is the best I can accept. After that, the edit becomes a real Frankenstein monster, where each piece is made up of audio files of varying quality, and even if you can make it work relatively flawlessly, it still bugs me knowing how it was made.

So, yeah, couldn't be arsed, and learned to be patient regarding proper releases.

45 minutes ago, king mark said:

Don't.You never know when new material surfaces and you need older files

Other folks do the editing, I just use their versions. I lost the patience for it. 

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

So, yeah, couldn't be arsed, and learned to be patient regarding proper releases.

53 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

This!

36 minutes ago, petaQ said:

Other folks do the editing, I just use their versions. I lost the patience for it. 

Ditto to all this. 

5 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

Hopefully they'll happen this year for the 40th, or maybe in 2019 for the 20th of TPM.

Thanks for all the replies.

That's probably best, to wait for a legit release. But it's not too complicated to use the rips, as long as you rename all the files like I did. Now I can mix each track in a matter of minutes. Ripping the files is another story though. I have probably hundreds of different scripts for extracting game audio, and it takes a long time to do. Especially SWTOR. There are thousands of music files in it. About 2 months ago I had to re-rip SWTOR as the new KOTET expansion came out. I'm still sorting though the files.

My God, looking over those spreadsheets ... the complexity of it all blows the mind. The gut reaction is to never want to edit the prequels - and to be very thankful there are those who have! (although that doesn't necessarily mean I'll never want to edit anything!)

But, on the other hand, I assume that editing them is the only way to truly understand the scores. There are times when discussions are taking place here and I can only "stand by and watch" because I have no idea what anyone is talking about. 

2 hours ago, Will said:

But, on the other hand, I assume that editing them is the only way to truly understand the scores. There are times when discussions are taking place here and I can only "stand by and watch" because I have no idea what anyone is talking about. 

No, that's not right. You don't have to edit them yourself. You can simply download other people's edits. 

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

No, that's not right. You don't have to edit them yourself. You can simply download other people's edits. 

Of course I've listened to other people's edits. :)

I just meant that most of the prequel discussion (and discussion of most JW scores other than TFA and The BFG, for that matter!) goes over my head. I guess editing isn't the only way to fix that, though, if I ever stop being lazy about it - I could read your breakdowns or learn to read sheet music (which I am actually sort of trying to learn how to do, albeit very, very slowly). And just listen to the scores and watch the films more. 

7 minutes ago, petaQ said:

If only there were someplace that were legal. Some shrine to sharing. Oh well, sucks there isn't. 

ROTFLMAO

It's not really that hard, as I said in my last comment. It just takes a while to sort-though and rename all the files. I don't even use the spreadsheets, I rename everything by memory. After that, the editing part is pretty straight-forward.

Well, I recently discovered that my SW prequel BDs have a German language 7.1 lossless audio track. I may decide to use the LS and RS tracks to create my own version of the allegedly aborted AOTC and ROTS Ultimate Editions. I'm sure it will be much easier. To those in the know, are the German surround channels clear of dialogue echoes (my pet peeve - I can handle SFX)?

I was kind of annoyed that everyone moaned so much that the TPM UE false advertising. Yes, it was far from perfect, but it still gave us a good chunk of the unreleased music. I would have been happy with AOTC and ROTS UEs that followed the same template. Now we have to hope that Disney/Lucasfilm are willing to give us expanded prequel scores at some point.

On another note, I saw a pic somewhere of a TPM UE in a jewel case. Is this legit or did some fanboy create his own cover art?

15 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

You were annoyed people showed their discontent after paying a premium amount of money for what is little more than an isolated score tracked dumped on CD?

Okay....

Yes, that is correct.

3 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Consumers should never complain about a half-arsed product created by a company who clearly cares about what they want first and foremost, and not about making quick and easy money!

Oh please. Vote with your wallet, it speaks much more clearly.

News flash: companies are actually out there to make money (the horror!)

1 minute ago, JTWfan77 said:

I have. Didn't buy that set.

1 minute ago, JTWfan77 said:

News flash: companies are actually out there to make money (the horror!)

Thank you, didn't know that. From now on, I'll stop complaining whenever I'll get a half-arsed product, because what matters is the company achieved what it set out to do. And it's all that matters.

33 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

So you register your displeasure by giving a company your money? Hmmm...

And actually. I think most people who complained about the UE did so after buying it. If you buy something, and it isnt what you were promised you are entitled to complain.

19 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

So you register your displeasure by giving a company your money? Hmmm...

Not at all what I said.

You vote with your wallet by Not purchasing the offending product.

21 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

And actually. I think most people who complained about the UE did so after buying it. If you buy something, and it isnt what you were promised you are entitled to complain.

Fair enough. My point was that there were some people who were happy to get the extra music that we did, but because of the vocal minority/majority who complained, we missed out on getting UEs for the other two films.

I wonder what kind of numbers this title sold, it seemed to be in print for quite some time.

8 minutes ago, Daniel Clamp said:

People should never complain about false advertising! They're only words!

Agreed! Otherwise all those wonderful "latest invention of the week" products that do incredible things on TV but actually don't work at all when used by ordinary folk would never sell!

I used to imagine what the cover art for AOTC and ROTS UEs would look like.

I assume AOTC would have had Jango Fett or Count Dooku on the front and ROTS would have had General Grevious. 

I wonder if they would have kept to the same colour scheme as TPM, or used a different colour for each one (a la LOTRs LEs).

Quite possible. I suppose we'll never know.

I wonder if JW signed off on the UE before it was released. He seems to have some clout with regard to re-releases of his scores.

Our best hope now is that Disney will get MM to do C&C releases, hopefully this year.

It does seem that 2017 would be a great opportunity for this, what with SW 40th, Sony out of the picture, MMs comments about it being an expensive year (meaning he is likely involved with sonething of this scale), a new Saga film, and the Maestro's 85th birthday. 

Otherwise the 20th of TPM would make sense.