How obsessed are you with editing expanded SW Prequel scores

King Mark

53 members have voted

1. 1. How obsessed are you

• I go into an editing frenzy for several days after new files come out and even forget to eat and sleep
    • I let others do it for me (can't edit, too lazy, no patience)
    • I'll wait untill official releases come out to listen to expanded Prequel scores
    • I have no interest in the SW prequel scores
    • I do only a bit of casual editing of the major unreleased cues

I chose option 2. I'm on a Mac, and it sounds like I'd have a bear of a time trying to decode these files.

Is it considered bad form to rely on the generosity of others and ask for the files when they are finished and edited?

not really. I think most will like to share their edits

And also you need at least one person's edit as a guide to make your own

I use Trent's and ggctuk's to figure out where the music goes to make my SFX free versions

I'm literally the guy who started the whole expanding the prequel scores by combining video game rips with OST tracks thing when I discovered how to rip the music out of the "The Phantom Menace" PC game and posted it to usenet and the oldest version of this board 12 1/2 years ago..... and even I don't edit myself anymore (at least for the SW prequels I mean). There are so many other much more talented people doing it now, I just listen to their edits. When I actually have time I can spend editing film scores its other projects.

If I tried to make an edit, I would get sick of the music. I used to make videos for fun, and I would always use my favorite musical pieces to accompany them. I would edit the picture to the music, and after playing back little snippets of the music so many times to make sure it was in sync with the picture, I would get sick of the piece. I'm still recovering from some of those films. That's the biggest reason I don't make edits. The other is I'm often satisfied with the music as presented, and it's not worth it for me to go through the effort of learning the technology required to make an edit, and then do the actual edit. I've only listened to the edits for the prequels that I have once, for some reason I stick with the OSTs when I listen. Not sure why.

That said, I would jump on official expansions in a second.

I personally do edits myself. However, any new clean material that surfaces in games I of course then update my edits accordingly. For example like with the TOR game rip. A lot of good clean AOTC and ROTS music in it. I've practically finished my ROTS update for now. I have to go back and readjust some volume changes for a couple of cues.

Once I do finish my updated edits I practically stop until the next Star Wars game is released. If any new clean music appears in the next game then my edits once again get updated accordingly.

For The Phantom Menace I know I've re-worked it a lot of times. The reason being is because I wasn't too happy with the transitions I did for going into different material. IE: U.E. material into game material, etc....

I've practically finished that too all though some stuff I'll go back and redo with potential new material from the TOR rips.

I think there should be another option there..

"I do frequent updated edits when there's new clean music available."

I don't forget to lose sleep or eat over something like this. If one does do that then they're stupid.

None of the above.

For AOTC and ROTS, I've done two or three edits each, and each of those was done more or less from scratch, rather than building on what I'd previously edited. So when new material comes out, it gets me super excited, but I don't typically incorporate it immediately - I pretty much have to wait until I feel motivated, especially if it's a big batch (like right now with TOR).

Then TPM is a totally different beast. I've never even attempted an edit, even though it was THE score that made me realize how tragically mutilated soundtrack albums can be, and I can still remember writing down notes on the track timings so I could skip to points on the OST to make it more chronological. Because that score is so brutally chopped up in all its official presentations, I've been hesitant to even try until sheet music becomes available. I suppose I'm just so intimidated by the complexity and the uncertainty that I've decided to wait till I can be quite sure I'm doing it right.

I'll just go for #2. For one thing, I'm not overly good at editing and certainly not to the extent of most members here.

For another, I just really don't have the time. I AM very interested in it though and the recent developments are certainly most exciting.

I hope somebody gets something released before I go to sea again early next year.

For Star Wars, option 2.

I have a few expanded cues from RotS, containing the best missing stuff, and I have no idea whose set they're from. While I'm very interested in editing, I have too little interest with SW so I'll just let someone else do it for me.

TPM I'm happy with the OST for (I couldn't give a crap about the film, and I did have the UE once - never listened to it) and I have about 4 cues from AotC.

Seriously KM - do you forget to eat/sleep?

I liked to do edits, but i sometimes didnt keep the original files... so when new files arised and new edits were needed i ended cuting already edited files, and most of the latter videogames occur when i am very busy or similar... so i stopped doing them for the prequels. I still do other scores since those omstly are a one time work, (recording sessions, other game rips...).

And some people here have excellent editing skills and programs to do it than me, and i cant read cuesheets so i dont have that info for the edits either.

I thank everyone who share their edits :).

Why are people still working on TPM anyway?

I know the UE was a hack job, but is it really so far from Williams' intended score that we don't have it all yet?

Yes.

not really. I think most will like to share their edits

And also you need at least one person's edit as a guide to make your own

I use Trent's and ggctuk's to figure out where the music goes to make my SFX free versions

ggctuk's recent edit of I Am the Senate helped me a lot.

I know the UE was a hack job, but is it really so far from Williams' intended score that we don't have it all yet?

If all I had was the three prequel OST's and the UE, I would rank the scores among Williams' most unlistenable and never dust them off.

Used to be option 1. I just don't have the energy or patience for this stuff anymore. I'm glad that you guys are carrying it on. Of course, legitimate, well produced expansions would be better than any edit. There's just enough in the rumor mill (supposedly Doug Adams is taking on Star Wars) to give me hope.

Option 2. I let the others do it, can't edit( those 40882084_A5012CF7C4AE8680ÖÖää codes are moonman language for me)

also option 3 I'll wait until official releases come out and I really hope to see that will happen one day.

Of course it would be interesting one day to hear what comes out from those cryptic formulas. :whistle:

I do a bit of casual editing but since my skills are not so great I tend to limit myself to very easy things.

What makes you say that? No indication they will release them

For anyone who hasn't bothered editing yet now that we have the TOR files it's really worth it . This is as close to complete scores as we'll get until they do release them .

"I believe they've already been converting them over the past few years, according to one article I read about their release."

Someone actually has to question whether a theatrical release of Star Wars will be successful? The light sabers could be turned pink and purple and the image contorted to a fish eye lens and people would still flock to see that shit.

Someone actually has to question whether a theatrical release of Star Wars will be successful? The light sabers could be turned pink and purple and the image contorted to a fish eye lens and people would still flock to see that shit.

That's right.

I only have the first film. It comes with two versions. I don't know which ones they are.

As for the prequel scores, I don't really have much interest in them, and I don't know what's missing. I always kind of fancied some stuff in the OST for TPM, though.

• 5 years later...

Is there a definitive resource here somewhere that lists the complete scores along with the source of each cue? You know, if someone wanted to track down all the games in order to compile as complete a version of the three scores as possible.