My 2012 Orchestral Score Reel

Walid

Hi!

I am a 22 year old composer trying to get some work, so now I'm currently working on my orchestral reel for a good showcase, to show what I can do these days with my keyboard and computer.

I've been writing three scores in the last three days, and I'm planning on writing 2 more for the sake of this reel.

I would love for you music fans to give me some pointers or just say what you think of my orchestral sound and composition:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12797960/2012%20Reel%20Walid%20Feghali%20-8_eq-mp3%20-.mp3

I want to write music for games/movies/trailers, whatever's out there! :)

Thanks in advance!
/Walid

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty decent production. I think you use the samples to their strengths for the most part. Style seems on par with most of what's out there. That last recap of the main melody with that brass heavy part was a little much- try to create some textural contrast in the orchestration. Play different orchestral choirs against one another especially if you are repeating a section verbatim. It helps to keep the listener interested, The techno part sounded good though not to my personal taste. Keep composing, keep learning. Listen to as much orchestral music as possible and attend real orchestral performances. You will learn a lot.

Pretty decent production. I think you use the samples to their strengths for the most part. Style seems on par with most of what's out there. That last recap of the main melody with that brass heavy part was a little much- try to create some textural contrast in the orchestration. Play different orchestral choirs against one another especially if you are repeating a section verbatim. It helps to keep the listener interested, The techno part sounded good though not to my personal taste. Keep composing, keep learning. Listen to as much orchestral music as possible and attend real orchestral performances. You will learn a lot.

I see! The main melody, you mean the second part of the reel? At the crescendo type raise? I wanted it to sound full and complete there, I used a church organ, trombones, bass trombone and tubas, trumpets and french horns, maybe I should remove one of them if it's too much.

Different orchestral choirs, you mean simultaneously or alternating? I think I understand what you mean.

I actually do listen to alot of scores, and try to match their sound. I really love japanese film/game/traditional music. Thanks for the response!

I'd love to hear more action music from you ;)

I will definately post more music from me here!

Sounds interesting and epic :)

Thank you my man :)

Sounds very good, almost like Dragon Battle, from John Powell's How To Train Your Dragon.

Great! im really glad to hear that. That soundtrack is really sweet!

Even though it's in the same sound, it sounds better than the stuff most RC goons put out these days.

IMO.

Thank you! But what's an RC goon? :D

Even though it's in the same sound, it sounds better than the stuff most RC goons put out these days.

IMO.

Thank you! But what's an RC goon? :D

Somebody like Ramin djawadi or Steve jablonsky.

I'd rather listen to 30 minutes of this than sitting through 30 minutes of Transformers.

PS: RC stands for Remote Conrol, also known as Company responsible for all the evil in the world.

The goons from Zimmer's army of clones, formally known as Remote Control Productions (RC). They're predictable style has been a common target of criticism.

By the way, I really enjoyed your piece! The samples are awesome, and as everyone said, I'd love to hear more of your action music :D

I think his score for the 3rd score is good fun. But the former two (and the recent On Strangers Tide) are pretty awful (especially the first one).

Ahh, yes. I see what you're getting at! Many of the modern scores out there from RC or from any other big company are pretty lame nowadays, I don't hear that much originality.

Guys, please don't argue personal taste. I personally do like SOME of the stuff in POTC, but knowing it's Hans Zimmer, I would like to hear better stuff from him. I like the main theme in Transformers, but overall it's pretty dull.

Ramin Djawadi's work is also quite dull lately, I do like the main theme of Game Of Thrones, but the rest of his scores in that series really suck donkeysh**.

Anyways, back on subject!

Since you guys wanted some action score, I'm writing one as I'm writing this message. I think it's gonna be pretty cool! only written the piano part, and it's in 11/8 so it might take until midnight (it's 21:30 here)!

I actually thought the last score I sent here was a bit too "anti-climactic", so I rewrote the piece a bit. As said before, this is the ending score:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12797960/2012%20Reel%20Walid%20Feghali%20-%2010%20Ending%20Score%20-.mp3

Any thoughts?

Really liked the piece! :) Especially the menacing, dramatic first half was really cool. Great work!

Thank you :))

Maybe the solo violin should be replaced for a viola or a cello?