Prelude to Prometheus- Orchestral Essentials Demo

David Coscina

http://snd.sc/z1a44A

Another shameless pastiche of a Goldsmith classic with my own spin on it. If I got the job to score this film, I would honor Mr.Goldsmith by quoting his material in places because it's so damned great. Ives did it. Stravinsky did it. I can too! (quote other composers, not Goldsmith obviously)

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting. Of course, it's difficult to say if it would have fitted PROMETHEUS' aesthetic, as that isn't just a stylistic rethread of ALIEN. But it's always interesting to hear someone do a Goldsmith pastiche in and of itself! :)

That was terrific David. Really a nice Goldsmith homage. I could certainly imagine similar score with the spirit of Alien working in the upcoming film. It would draw a nice connection on subliminal level between these two works. Goldsmith's music with its allure and wonder of the space slowly morphing into horror and alienation (pun intended) is a challenging and wonderful musical portrait from which Marc Streitenfeld who is scoring Prometheus could take more than a few lessons.

Great homage to Goldsmiths style and theme.

Every sequel or prequel or film set in the same universe presents opportunities for cameos of established themes. This is not even my opinion, it is a simple fact resulting out of the countless possible ways to arrange a melody. There is no such thing as a completely unfitting melody for a film cause there will be at least a minute or so in it where the melody works with clever rearrangement.

Of course not every composer, director or producer is able to understand or even execute that...

That was terrific David. Really a nice Goldsmith homage. I could certainly imagine similar score with the spirit of Alien working in the upcoming film. It would draw a nice connection on subliminal level between these two works. Goldsmith's music with its allure and wonder of the space slowly morphing into horror and alienation (pun intended) is a challenging and wonderful musical portrait from which Marc Streitenfeld who is scoring Prometheus could take more than a few lessons.

So you know all this before you've seen the movie? That's impressive.

The only way we would know if it would work is if someone replaced some of Streitenfeld's score with one like David composed once it's here. And I don't see that as particularly likely.

So rather than speculate how fitting or not such a style would have been for PROMETHEUS, I think it's better to just enjoy the piece as an independent Goldsmith/ALIEN hommage composed by a fan.

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. Obviously my cue is an imaginary one that I came up with based on the trailer for Prometheus but no more than that. It was fun doing it and I'm obviously not getting the scoring gig so it's just a bit of fun. I also composed a more tonal cue but I've haven't finished it yet....

The only way we would know if it would work is if someone replaced some of Streitenfeld's score with one like David composed once it's here. And I don't see that as particularly likely.

So rather than speculate how fitting or not such a style would have been for PROMETHEUS, I think it's better to just enjoy the piece as an independent Goldsmith/ALIEN hommage composed by a fan.

Actually SF1_freeze summed up better what I was trying to say than I did. :lol: What I was trying to say was that the composer should of course not slavishly try to emulate Goldsmith but said that some kind of continuity would be nice to hear between Goldsmith's masterpiece and the new score, capture some of its great spirit of both awe and horror, and if the film is not of that spirit then atleast some of Alien score's class and quality. I just fear for a mediocre effort from Streitenfeld.

Thank you for jumping in Streitenfeld's defence just the same Thor.

Actually SF1_freeze summed up better what I was trying to say than I did. :lol: What I was trying to say was that the composer should of course not slavishly try to emulate Goldsmith but said that some kind of continuity would be nice to hear between Goldsmith's masterpiece and the new score, capture some of its great spirit of both awe and horror, and if the film is not of that spirit then atleast some of Alien score's class and quality. I just fear for a mediocre effort from Streitenfeld.

Thank you for jumping in Streitenfeld's defence just the same Thor.

I also think it would be fun if there were some brief Goldsmith cameos in the film, like the two-note flute motif or something. I don't think that's a farfetched idea either.

Only time will tell!