George Lucas retires

TownerFan

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I was wondering how long it would take. I think he's realised now he's done evrything he set out to do.

Kind of ironic, that he ends how he started.

Could George Lucas be the 'Michael Jackson' of the film industry? 'Wacko' George now, but loved and hailed as a unique artist upon death..?

Interesting I find this line:

When I told Lucas that Spielberg had accepted the blame for nuking the fridge, he looked stunned. “It’s not true,” he said. “He’s trying to protect me.”

And then:

In fact, it was Spielberg who “didn’t believe” the scene. In response to Spielberg’s fears, Lucas put together a whole nuking-the-fridge dossier. It was about six inches thick, he indicated with his hands. Lucas said that if the refrigerator were lead-lined, and if Indy didn’t break his neck when the fridge crashed to earth, and if he were able to get the door open, he could, in fact, survive. “The odds of surviving that refrigerator — from a lot of scientists — are about 50-50,” Lucas said.

But I do not think that this scene is crap. It is not that good, but it is never a thorn in the side, IMO.

I'm glad he finally got his Red Tails made. Not sure if I'll see it in a theater, though.

I've always felt that Lucas was a genuinely cool guy, even in the last couple decades. I can excuse his making a shit movie like Attack of the Clones when he's clearly just an old dude. He's spoiled rotten: billions of dollars, complete control of an army of people, modern technology and the ability to shoot a film against mostly bluescreen and simply watch on a plasma screen from a chair some distance away with a bullhorn. The results are bound to come out kinda screwed up. He's got that goofy innocently out-of-touch awkward old guy thing going for him. This article just reaffirms that.

I feel bad for lucas. He's pretty much the most hated man on the planet now...all because he's made changes and movies that people dislike. This is why I hate fanboys, normally I figure you don't like something, cool, it wasn't your taste, move on, and let it go. I don't agree with everything the man has ever done, but Lucas always comes off as a really nice, caring, down-to-earth guy. The fact that thirteen years later people are STILL bitching about TPM, Nine years for AOTC, and Six for ROTS, just goes to show why fanboys are the butt of so many jokes all the times. Which is quite sad, as the prequels really aren't half bad, and I'm quite a fan of them and Lucas myself.

It's amazing, really. Here is a man with the creative genius to give the world Star Wars, the most beloved and influential movie franchise of an entire generation of movie-goers and future movie-makers, but his legacy is to be remembered as evil for revising superficial elements of those movies twenty plus years later.

Is overhauling a work enough to make us hate him for all time, and forget that he was the man who created said work in the first place? You can give credit to Kersh for making a superior sequel and to Williams for making the grandest saga score since Wagner.

But at the end of the day, if George Lucas' father had decided to pull out nine months before May 14, 1944, king mark would have a totally different avatar.

They unquestionably wouldn't have been as popular, but they still would've been the men behind Jaws, Close Encounters, E.T., Schindler's List, etc.

A relatively small band of outspoken Star Wars fans hardly makes George Lucas the "most hated man on the planet".

This is not true. It's not the 'Star Wars fans' who constantly pick on Lucas. It's the people who like to pick on George Lucas and Star Wars fans who pick on George Lucas.

When fanboys wailed, Lucas did not just hear the scream of young Jedis; he heard something like the voice of the studio. The dumb, uncomprehending voice in his Socratic dialogues — a voice telling him how to make a blockbuster. “On the Internet, all those same guys that are complaining I made a change are completely changing the movie,” Lucas says, referring to fans who, like the dreaded studios, have done their own forcible re-edits. “I’m saying: ‘Fine. But my movie, with my name on it, that says I did it, needs to be the way I want it.’ ”

He's delusional.

His analogy is way off. Fans complaining about his never-ending changes is nothing like a studio getting final cut. They just want the damn original cuts. Give it to them and they couldn't care less if you changed every last detail.

I agree with Koray. I don't mind what he keeps doing as long as he gives us all his original vision that we all also saw as our original vision of the series, be it in the theater or on home video. It shouldn't be that much to ask for, really. Spielberg gets it. Why can't he?

I'm kind of curious of what these small and personal of his projects might be like. I'm certainly more interested in those anyway, so I'd say: "About time, George". But for different reasons than most people.

Karol

I can't help but take away a feeling of great sadness and disappointment from Lucas' comments. It's too bad he's letting a vocal minority influence him so. I don't agree with every thing he does' and I happen to be a purist when it comes to the revisions made to the OT, but at the end of the day, Star Wars and Indiana Jones have brought me nothing but pleasure. Is that so wrong? Internet culture is just so negative. Too bad it somehow got under George's skin.

Soon the prequels will be seen as masterful films, misunderstood in their time.

I don't think so. I do however think that in time people will remember Lucas for the brilliant things he did instead of his more 'stupid' decisions. Like what happened to Michael Jackson and his Off The Wall and Thriller albums. No matter what Lucas did in the latter stage of his career, Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back and Raiders Of The Lost Ark were and will always be amazing, and those films are very dear to me and millions of others.

He made Greedo shoot first!

Yeah, that was one of those 'less-than-brilliant' decisions he made. Still; it's things like that that kept Lucas relevant and in the spotlight, though probably for the wrong reasons. Seeing the man toy his way with Star Wars and develop his prequels gave the industry something original, something to talk about. When most of Hollywood delivered 'paint-by-numbers' type films, Lucas was doing it different, for better or worse. I certainly do not agree with every creative decision he made, but I respect him for doing things his way nonetheless. And the Star Wars I saw when I was 5, the film that introduced me to the Star Wars universe, had Han Solo shoot first. Nothing could ever take that away from me and I thank Lucas for that. ;)

To REAL fans having Greedo shoot first puts Lucas in the same list as Pol Pot, Stalin and George W. Bush...

Sometimes you can't forgive!

You're not even a real fan yet it's people like you who seem to have the biggest problem with it. ;)

To REAL fans having Greedo shoot first puts Lucas in the same list as Pol Pot, Stalin and George W. Bush...

Sometimes you can't forgive!

What is worse? 'Greedo shoots first' or 'adding new CGI creatures in a 1977 film'? I can't decide. It's sort of a Sofie's choice but reversed.

Alex

It's like Steefs says, the problem is, if Lucas dies people will suddenly say: "Actually, all the changes he did are brilliant. Oh, leader, who will show us the way now that you're gone?"

It's like Steefs says, the problem is, if Lucas dies people will suddenly say: "Actually, all the changes he did are brilliant. Oh, leader, who will show us the way now that you're gone?"

No. Only in your reality. It's more likely that Lucas will get praise - and rightfully so - for the ORIGINAL Star Wars and the impact it had on the industry. He will be remembered for introducing truly memorable characters and images to modern culture and for the advances he pushed in filmmaking technology.

New generations are already wondering what the big deal was with Star Wars. Everything fades. My reality might not be vast but at least it's open-minded (hey, one has to be in order to appreciate the Snydster ;) ). What's your reality? Star Wars and John Williams? Perhaps a Trek movie once in a while? I don't know man ...

New generations are already wondering what the big deal was with Star Wars.

Really..? I don't really care about a generation that puts Justin Bieber on top of the charts and turns Transformers 2 into a box office smash.

Lucas and Star Wars, the original film at least, have earned their place in cinema history. The concepts of Star Wars: Vader, the Death Star, the droids, a lightsaber, the phrase 'May the Force be with you', the music, ..., are STILL highly iconic and part of popular culture. The Star Wars references in TV series and movies are as noteworthy as ever.

No one can take that away, not even Alex. ;)

Really..? I don't really care about a generation that puts Justin Bieber on top of the charts and turns Transformers 2 into a box office smash.

Just like the generations before us disregarded us because we loved 2 UnLimited, Take That or Nirvana.

Gone With the Wind and Ben-Hur and The Wizard of Oz were big deals too, and for many years, but for many people today they have faded.

Star Wars will go the same way, fondly remembered by those who care and recognized by people as being among the great works in the medium of film, but the popularity in our culture will not endure. The only reason Star Wars remains alive is because of Lucas' marketing power. Once Lucasfilm moves on, the public will too.

Just like the generations before us disregarded us because we loved 2 UnLimited, Take That or Nirvana.

Nirvana were critically acclaimed during their most successful years and after. No one disregarded anyone for loving Nirvana, ever. That you think 2Unlimited or Take That could even be mentioned alongside Nirvana to support the same argument is very akward to me. Those acts were disregarded then and today perhaps even more. The editors of Rolling Stone were fans of Nirvana. The only fans 2Unlimited or Take That ever had were 12 year olds. Nirvana is widely acknowledged as an important band in Rock history. 2Unlimited and Take That are merely footnotes. Justin Bieber and Transformers 2 will likewise never reach any cultural significance.

Gone With the Wind and Ben-Hur and The Wizard of Oz were big deals too, and for many years, but for many people today they have faded.

Star Wars will go the same way, fondly remembered by those who care and recognized by people as being among the great works in the medium of film, but the popularity in our culture will not endure. The only reason Star Wars remains alive is because of Lucas' marketing power. Once Lucasfilm moves on, the public will too.

Unlike Ben Hur, Star Wars is more than a movie. The concepts and images TRANSCEND the original film, much like Mickey Mouse transcends the original cartoon he appeared in. Darth Vader, the droids, Yoda, lightsabers, etc. will be around for a very long time. Perhaps it will not have the endurance of Disney characters, but I feel some are really underestimating the power and iconic quality of the imagery Lucas created.

Nirvana were critically acclaimed during their most successful years and after. No one disregarded anyone for loving Nirvana, ever. That you think 2Unlimited or Take That could even be mentioned alongside Nirvana to support the same argument is very akward to me. Those acts were disregarded then and today perhaps even more. Justin Bieber and Transformers 2 will never reach any cultural significance either.

Sigh. Sometimes it's like I'm talking to an infant!

Nirvana was critically acclaimed, but by OUR generation!

Our parents and grandparents thought it was the mindless noise of a talentless drug addict whining into a microphone.