2012 Oscar Discussion Thread (Tintin and War Horse nominated for Best Original Score!)

Romão

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Likewise, personally I think it should Best Picture of the year!

Btw, I think War Horse deserved the cinematography award, but Hugo definitely deserves best Art Direction (God I couldn't understand what they were saying!). It was a beautiful film!

The hell people? It's Oscar night and the chatroom is EMPTY? What's the matter with everyone?

Not that I'm bothering to watch them but it'd be fun to spend the night talking nonsense like we always do.

He seemed a little saddened, and you could also see bits of him during the Song Award. He didn't seem like he was enjoying himself that much...

I imagine he would prefer to stay at home and do something useful, instead of getting bored out of his skull. Again.

The ceremony is nice though, nothing too special, but nice nonetheless.

Why does it seem that they to go out of their way to not vote for JW? Are they classical music snobs?

I feel like that is the result of people today, hard to find people with taste in real, rich, and authentic music.

(Not speaking against the Artist score, but just in general)

Why does it seem that they to go out of their way to not vote for JW? Are they classical music snobs?

I feel like that is the result of people today, hard to find people with taste in real, rich, and authentic music.

(Not speaking against the Artist score, but just in general)

I agree. Music appreciation is absolutely horrible right now.

Its sad that Williams didn't win, but we all knew that would happen :D

Oh well...Lincoln is probably Williams last chance at his 6th Oscar...and he'll prob lose to the Hobbit...

I'm in the library studying for midterms and not currently watching but according to Twitter somebody on the Oscars said that John Williams just writes the same music over and over? Is this true?

Edit: Obviously not asking if Williams writing the same music over and over is true but did somebody actually say that

I could feel John Williams' condescension when Meryl Streep got a standing ovation for 17 nominations. "That's cute."

:lol:

Well JW losing this Oscar to the Artist was entirely to be expect. Not only did he again have 2 scores nominated and dividing votes but there was a person outside of Hollywood with an exotic name nominated as well. Oh well. Better luck next time.

As much as I wanted Williams to win, I can't be mad that this composer took away the prize. It was real music, at least.

Well that's a small consolation at least.

On a sidenote it is nice to see Christopher Plummer finally getting his long deserved Oscar! :)

This year's Oscars were a joke. Viola Davis was absolutely robbed, but at she lost to a worthy actress.

And don't get me started on the films that were snubbed from a Best Picture nomination... like Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2. That would've been preferable to seeing something like Extremely Annoying & Incredibly Saccharine up for Best Picture.

And it was cool seeing Zimmer rock out on electric guitar at the Oscars... say what you want about him, but he's a good sport.

I cant believe the artist guy beat scorsese for directing.... blah. And still miffed Fincher wasnt even nominated for directing.

War Horse wasnt snubbed if you ask me, it wasnt that great of a film.

Only the score and cinematography were really exceptional. I do think the score deserved to win but after finally seeing Hugo last night I cannot argue with it winning for cinematography. War Horse's cinematography was excellent but Hugo's was really, really, REALLY excellent. The entire film was a joy to watch from the first frame to the last.

Best Score is the only category that I vehemently believe War Horse should've won in. As great as it was, The Artist was the better film (and had the better acting and directing). I don't know enough about the other categories (editing, sound effects, etc.), but it would've been nice to see War Horse pick up the cinematography award.

Only the score and cinematography were really exceptional. I do think the score deserved to win but after finally seeing Hugo last night I cannot argue with it winning for cinematography. War Horse's cinematography was excellent but Hugo's was really, really, REALLY excellent. The entire film was a joy to watch from the first frame to the last.

Well I can't disagree. Those two were the categories were really the ones that might have won the statuette. I can't say anything about Hugo since I have not seen it but I have heard good things about it and obviously it deserved its wins.

And The Artist won best picture too. Well I suppose I should see it now. I cant imagine I'll end up thinking its a better film than Hugo, Dragon Tattoo, or Midnight in Paris

I didn't waste my time with this forgone conclusion. I think the reason JW doesn't win anymore is purely due to the fact voters are well aware he's already won five times before. They're just giving the new guys the pat on the back, that's all.

Don't take it so personally.

Besides, what I have heard of The Artist's score, it seemed every bit the contender.

You obviously haven't seen The Tree Of Life.

I didn't waste my time with this forgone conclusion. I think the reason JW doesn't win anymore is purely due to the fact voters are well aware he's already won five times before. They're just giving the new guys the pat on the back, that's all.

Don't take it so personally.

Besides, what I have heard of The Artist's score, it seemed every bit the contender.

:up:

Karol

I guess that actually was A.R. Rahman that I saw. Each of the performers was asked by Zimmer to compose their own piece inspired by the Oscars. It's available only through iTunes, and apparently all proceeds go to some program relating to film music.