Movie Suites Williams Arranged But Did Not Record?

Sweetmeats

Maybe there's already a topic for this but I really enjoy the Prisoner of Azkaban Suite on The Essential Harry Potter by the City of Prague. Did Williams arrange that?

Either way, anyone have a list of Suites he arranged but are only available from other conductors?

Also, forgive any mistakes in terminology. Someone feel free to correct me if I have the phrasing wrong.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The concert arrangement of Han Solo and the Princess has never been conducted by Williams as far as I know. I have it on two different CDs, one by Paul Bateman/City of Prague, and one by Charles Gerhardt/National Phliharmonic

Marion's Theme KotCS

Irina's Theme re-tooled KotCS

Tintin's Heroic Theme Concert Version

Phantom Menace Concert Suite(Adventures of Jar Jar and full Flag Parade, choirless DotF)

I'll ask it here, since I still don't know. Did Williams arrange all the music (extended Luke's First Crash, May the Force Be With You, etc.) in the Gerhardt Star Wars recordings?

Marion's Theme KotCS

Uh, what? Williams performned those himself in concert many times

I'll ask it here, since I still don't know. Did Williams arrange all the music (extended Luke's First Crash, May the Force Be With You, etc.) in the Gerhardt Star Wars recordings?

I don't think there's a definitive answer that can be linked to, but I always thought that the Luke's First Crash extension would be Gerhardt's idea. I dunno. May The Force Be With You is just a film cue from TESB that wasn't on the OST, there's nothing unique there

Marion's Theme KotCS

But they've never been recorded, thus JW never conducted them in a recording.

No, that's not what the original poster was asking about:

anyone have a list of Suites he arranged but are only available from other conductors?

Tintin's Heroic Theme Concert Version

There's an arrangement for that??

He was joking

Was the rumor ever debunked that Williams wrote a "Harry's Wondrous World 2" for PoA?

He didn't

As far as I'm aware, the original intention was to have "Mischief Managed" as written until the end of the "Window to the Past" segment, which segues into the last couple of minutes of the Hedwig concert arrangement.

Marion's Theme KotCS

I don't think there's a definitive answer that can be linked to, but I always thought that the Luke's First Crash extension would be Gerhardt's idea. I dunno. May The Force Be With You is just a film cue from TESB that wasn't on the OST, there's nothing unique there

I think the arrangements very Gerhard's things, and supervised/aproved by Williams

I always thought the Accidental Tourist Love Theme from Richard Hayman's Best of John Williams CD on the Naxos label was arranged by Williams.

I don't have the CD with me to check, but I remember hearing/reading somewhere that it was. It sure sounds Williams arranged it^^

From what I've understood from the liner notes by Williams himself, Gerhardt used Williams originals and arranged the cues together so that it would fit into a proper concert suite. Obviously, from what Williams as mentioned in more than one occasion, they had the composer's approval.

Regarding "The Accidental Tourist", that's in fact arranged by Williams. He conducted that with the Boston Pops in the late 80's/early 90's, and was in the program of his 1993 Japanese tour.

The new concert version of "Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra." I'm dying to know what Williams did with that. Apparently now its ending is similar to "The Forest Battle" concert version.

Regarding "The Accidental Tourist", that's in fact arranged by Williams. He conducted that with the Boston Pops in the late 80's/early 90's, and was in the program of his 1993 Japanese tour.

And what gorgeous arrangement that is. It sounds "bigger" than the score and perhaps would be out of place in the original cd, but I wish it was recorded in some compilation. It really is lovely

And what gorgeous arrangement that is. It sounds "bigger" than the score and perhaps would be out of place in the original cd, but I wish it was recorded in some compilation. It really is lovely

I agree. Its grandeur isn't a match to the bucolic nature of the film, but as a piece on itself is wonderful.

The new concert version of "Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra." I'm dying to know what Williams did with that. Apparently now its ending is similar to "The Forest Battle" concert version.

I'd love to know too. He also apparently rearranged Parade of the Slave Children once, but it's not seen the light of day (yet).

The concert arrangement of Han Solo and the Princess has never been conducted by Williams as far as I know. I have it on two different CDs, one by Paul Bateman/City of Prague, and one by Charles Gerhardt/National Phliharmonic

I thought Williams said he can't even recall writing that one. Sounds like it was a Gehardt version of a film cue to me.

It's a true concert arrangement, starting off exactly like the "Han Solo and the Princess" file cue, but then seguing to concert type material including Leia's Theme to finish off.

He also apparently rearranged Parade of the Slave Children once, but it's not seen the light of day (yet).

Didnt thePops record that for the Spielberg/Williams collaboration?

He also apparently rearranged Parade of the Slave Children once, but it's not seen the light of day (yet).

Didnt thePops record that for the Spielberg/Williams collaboration?

The Boston Pops did record a version, yes, but I'm talking about the rumours that he composed another arrangement of it.