Intrada releasing Cliff Eidelman's Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (2CD Complete) February 28th 2012

Faleel

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whoa, that quick?

It's just the email notification to let you know it's been shipped out. I should have mine by either Friday or Saturday.

Dammit!

Shipping notice! Yay!

Always liked this score, as much as it may have been somewhat reminiscent of Mars from The Planets, particular the opening titles.

Well the director wanted to use The Planets.

I also hear a lot of the Firebird in the opening titles

Hopefully I'll have it by the end of the week. Intrada doesn't do the tracking thing, so I have no idea where it actually is, but since I'm in California, it's likely to be pretty fast. Usually is. :)

When Intrada sent my replacement for Star Trek IV it came within the time frame it should have came (3 days). I should have my copy of Star Trek VI by Friday, Saturday at the latest.

My wish came true and I got mine today. :) I really wasn't expecting this until tomorrow or Saturday.

Received mine today as well.

What can I say about it?

I've had the boot for the score since it leaked a while back. The presentation is pretty nice and it is nice to finally have the Star Trek VI Trailer cue as well as the cue "The Search". The sound quality of the boot practically matches Intrada's release so won't be hard to make some film version edits.

Knowing the way things usually go I expect mine on Monday. Though earlier would of course be nice.

Looking forward to seeing that straight run of II-VI on my CD shelf.

An interesting note, the film version mixes for "The Final Chance For Peace" is different compared to the album version. There was a version of the boot for this score that had "alternate excerpts" from this cue and I never knew that they were the actual film version mixes.

Also the cue "The Final Count" is the film version. Basically the music fades out like in the film when the Klingon BOP is blowing up, then picks up again when it shows the Enterprise bridge crew beaming into the conference room. So if you prefer the album version then you'll have to use the one from Disc 2. I for one have always liked the film version more.

Also you'll want to keep the cues "The Trial" and "Morally Unjust Evidence" from the boot so you can properly separate them. For some weird reason they are joined (no gap between them) together for this release. In the film though they are definitely two separate cues. If there had been enough space to separate them IE: Spacedock / Clear All Moorings, then that would be one thing.

Other than that the set is really solid, definitely better than the old OST presentation.

They probably combined The Trial and Morally Unjust Evidence for flow, that's what I did when editing the score for my iPod.

How are the liners?

Good information. I'll definately be enjoying this when it arrives. I too will be keeping the film version of "The Final Count".

I left a message with Mr. Bulk, who edited the CD, for clarification as to whether The Trial and Morally Unjust Evidence were originally recorded as one cue and faded out within the film, or whether he edited them together for flow.

The answer will dictate which course I'll take with these cues :)

I have to agree with Mr. Movies that it's possible "The Trial" and "Morally Unjust Evidence" was joined for listening experience but I still find it odd they did that. Considering other cues that were meant to be separate still had enough space between them that you could separate them if you wanted to.

However, in the film they are definitely TWO separate cues. There's a long pause of when "Morally Unjust Evidence" plays in the film. In the film it begins when we hear the playback from Kirk's personal log about not trusting Klingon's and could never forgive them for the death of his son.

As far as the liner notes go, what can I say? They're Jeff Bond's track by track analysis and it is always informative and enjoyable to read. :)

The designs of the discs themselves is cool, probably the coolest I've seen for a Trek release. Disc 1 is black, with pink lettering for the logo...the pink color to symbolize the color of the Klingon blood. Disc 2 the entire back part is pink itself and the logo is black. lol It's obvious a tongue in the cheek type thing but still pretty cool.

Oh and a final thought... for my iPod I went through and amped up the volume for all the cues. They seemed a bit on the low side, especially when comparing the volume levels to the boot.

Well, that's disappointing... Intrada releases usually show up by now (I live in NorCal, they're in Oakland). Oh well, maybe tomorrow.

Well, that's disappointing... Intrada releases usually show up by now (I live in NorCal, they're in Oakland). Oh well, maybe tomorrow.

Where in NorCal? Just moved after living there most of 12 years.

Chico, that area - though I'm in one of the hick towns nearby. Where were you?

Got mine. Sounds fantastic. :)

Well, look at you, with your... Star Trek 6 CD. Jerk. ;) Thoughts?

Great presentation, nice liner notes, and the whole design ethos matches Trek's II thru IV.

The mastering is pristine from the digital masters.

In many cues, especially The Final Chance for Peace, the percussion sounds a little more up front to me.

Now all we need is TMP to the same standards.

Chico, that area - though I'm in one of the hick towns nearby. Where were you?

Well, in San Antonio, TX now, but lived in Vacaville for about twelve years (minus two when I took a leave of absence for grad school). Nice areas, although the super-crowded nature of the area got a little old. We played in Chico several times I think, isn't that a college town, up near Paradise? If I recall that was one of my favorite areas of Nor CA, well-removed from the super crowding of the bay area.

And just so I'm actually contributing something to this actual thread, I'll add that I've listened through the new ST VI Album a couple times now and it sounds excellent! Although I enjoy the score, I've always thought the brass sounded a little thin in places. I'm not sure if it's the recording because the new release sounds the same, it may be the voicings he used in writing the music itself. But, I also disclaim that I've not sat down and really analyzed it that closely. As far as presentation, I suppose the newly-released material is nice to have, but some of it is really just extremely simple background music that doesn't do much. Not ALL of the new stuff, just some. Either way, it's nice to have available so everyone can listen to all of it they want. Overall, I think it's a great set.

The OST did make the brass portions sound a bit thin than what it was heard in the film. Luckily this new mix does bring everything out like it should be. I had always wondered why the album versions for "The Battle For Peace" segments sounded different than in the film. After hearing them on this album it's quite obvious they were entirely different takes.

Either way I was happy to chuck the old MCA release.

I'm keeping the MCA release, but only because it was signed. :P

Same for Trek 2009.

Same will be true for TMP when it's released legitimately complete, as my copy was signed by Mr. Goldsmith, and I'll never get an opportunity to have it signed again :(

But I'm glad to see my OST releases be replaced by these fantastic upgrades.

I'm actually sitting here listening to it again, having written that lengthy diatribe. I must say that it sounds much better than I recall. The brass voicings I mentioned earlier now just seem like a very few isolated spots. Hey, the guy was only 28 when he wrote it! Lol

Gotta make time to check out this site more frequently during tax season. (I do taxes for a living-- 60+ hour weeks.) Ordered this with IV and Batman Forever.

At the midnight premiere, there was a costume contest that started at midnight (despite the theater opening at 11). Then the previews started at 12:30, followed by a Mr. Bean short, and more previews. Crowd was quite enthusiastic with its booing and I had steam coming out of my ears because it was 1 am before the film actually started. The Overture started and my beloved leaned over and asked me why I was smiling. "The music; it's good," was my reply to her. Yeah, it's based on the opening of Firebird, inverted, but still good.

Got mine on Saturday. I feel like a terrible fan because I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet. That should be rectified tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry if this was discussed elsewhere already.

The liner notes from the star Trek VI 2 CD set mentions that: "Disc two features Eidelman's album program of Star Trek VI, cloned from a digital source".

What does this mean? It's not very specific.

To me it sounds like a euphemism that they just ripped the OST CD. ;)

Since no one who participates on this board worked on the release, I'm not sure what kind of a response you were expecting to get here.....

Neil should definitely know the answer.

I'm sorry if this was discussed elsewhere already.

The liner notes from the star Trek VI 2 CD set mentions that: "Disc two features Eidelman's album program of Star Trek VI, cloned from a digital source".

What does this mean? It's not very specific.

To me it sounds like a euphemism that they just ripped the OST CD. ;)

I was wondering about the same thing. Maybe it's just that they replicated the OST program from session materials, (instead of OST masters)?

Karol