Intrada releasing Cliff Eidelman's Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country (2CD Complete) February 28th 2012

Faleel

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Trek 6 bootleg was only ever available in 128 Kbps Mp3, which sounded at it's best completely identical to the ost.

There was a flac version.

Faleel is right. An actual lossless version did surface shortly after the mp3 version leaked.

So, all that's left to do is TMP, Generations, First Contact, Insurrection, and continuing to pretend Nemesis never existed.

I STILL want my fucking money back from seeing that garbage.

In this particular Battle for Peace I'd like to say a few things.

I don't get personally involved in the release plans or publicity for other labels when I work on their albums, unless they ask me to.

Far be from me to confirm that Cliff was telling the truth to the public, as opposed to dreaming up some crazy story.

I think it would, in general, be healthy and terrific if people were going to hope for the best for a release along the lines of what's been speculated... which would of course include the "Trailer"... and be the kind of 2CD set that people would want for this score, like the other Star Trek expanded movie score albums to date.

It would also be good if people DIDN'T bug the label, or complain about not knowing the exact release date.

The simplest explanation is the truth: Cliff is very proud of this score (justifiably so) and wanted to inform the public during his publicity for his newest project. That's his prerogative as the artist.

The label would like to keep people out of their hair so that they can focus on their day-to-day business and stick to their release schedule and publicity style that is working very well for them.

So let's all do a Vulcan mind-meld and "forget"...sound good?

Lukas

So, all that's left to do is TMP, Generations, First Contact, Insurrection, and continuing to pretend Nemesis never existed.

I STILL want my fucking money back from seeing that garbage.

The score for Nemesis is great, despite the film not being that good. The OST for Nemesis is a horrible listening experience but the near complete boot rocks as a lot of great material was left off the OST.

I am not holding my breath for Varèse to do an "expanded" version. I'm afraid if they do one it won't be complete, or they'll find some way to fuck it up.

You and I don't see eye-to-eye on the score to Nemesis, but that's okay. As long as you enjoy it, that's all that matter between us.

My trust in Varese and their Club editions has not been so great as of late.

They screwed up "The Matrix, as you point out.

They expanded "Sheena" by one cue, when it wouldn't have taken that much more score to make it complete.

They released "Ghostbusters", after over twenty years of waiting, incomplete and wanting in mix.

The "Stripes" boot has two or three cues not on the Varese edition.

"The Vanishing" wasn't compelte either in comparrison to the expanded boot.

While what they did with "Spartacus" was deeply appreciated, after all this wiat by people such as myself for a complete remastered, it was priced beyond the range of fans like myself.

Off the top of my head.

Then we also have, on another note, rights to a number of scores we want complete, in perpetuity and won't release and so far haven't been offered up in theiur club titles.

I'm content with my old release, but I just wanted to use the opportunity to say what a great score it is, and how I miss Eidelman doing these sorts of things rather than sticky, maudlin love dramas and comedies.

You and I don't see eye-to-eye on the score to Nemesis, but that's okay. As long as you enjoy it, that's all that matter between us.

My trust in Varese and their Club editions has not been so great as of late.

They screwed up "The Matrix, as you point out.

They expanded "Sheena" by one cue, when it wouldn't have taken that much more score to make it complete.

They released "Ghostbusters", after over twenty years of waiting, incomplete and wanting in mix.

The "Stripes" boot has two or three cues not on the Varese edition.

"The Vanishing" wasn't compelte either in comparrison to the expanded boot.

While what they did with "Spartacus" was deeply appreciated, after all this wiat by people such as myself for a complete remastered, it was priced beyond the range of fans like myself.

Off the top of my head.

Then we also have, on another note, rights to a number of scores we want complete, in perpetuity and won't release and so far haven't been offered up in theiur club titles.

They also merely "expanded" Stargate, Scream, and Mimic instead of going all the way to make them "Complete".

Not to get too off topic (again), but I think Varese cares more about listening experience (even with expanded albums) than having every last second on CD. To they say screwed up implies that including everything is the "right way" (let's be clear - it's not. Subjectives, my friends, subjectives). Do I wish they had LLL/FSM/etc.'s thoroughness? Yeah, of course, but they have their choices. And maybe it's not all 'artistic' - The Goonies is missing some alternate synth overlays, and Mike Mattessino stated it's because a 2-CD set would have been too costly. For a recent score like The Matrix, who knows how expensive it might have been to make it a 2-CD product. Bitch about it all you want, but it's not your thousands of dollars going into researching, remastering and releasing the product.

That said, yeah, there were mistakes on Trek '09 and others that could not be considered 'artistic choices'. Missing choir, film edits, inadequate mixes. I won't defend those. But there's a certain lack of humility to some of these comments that's rather off-putting.

[sorry. That rant's been waiting to burst out for some time.]

I agree with you, in that Star Trek '09 was a flat-out screwup, and Stargate, Matrix, Mimic, and Scream were artistic choices that were partially brought on by financial reasons (not spilling onto a second disc). The difference is that FSM or Intrada would pay the costs to have a second disc more than likely, while Varese chose not to

Trek '09 was not a flat-out screw-up. Its benefits outweighed its flaws - but yeah, those flaws are really hard to ignore.

Still, you guys talk about it like it were the Phantom Menace UE!

Trek '09 was not a flat-out screw-up. Its benefits outweighed its flaws - but yeah, those flaws are really hard to ignore.

Still, you guys talk about it like it were the Phantom Menace UE!

Choir missing from the cues I can understand if the fees were too high..however, there was still choir in "Nero Death Experience" and "Nero Fiddles, Narada Burns". Also cues that still carried over the micro-edits from the OST, and even other cues that were micro-edited for no reason. Missing brass/woodwind overlays towards the beginning for "I've Fallen and I Can't Beam Up" ...

Sorry but it is a flat out screw-up. Grant it's not on the same level as the Phantom Menace UE but it's pretty damn close.

Was Giacchino involved with that release?

Townson was the only person credited for producing the album, so unlikely. If he was I doubt there would have been so many errors with the release.

Oh, I totally get why they kept those miro-edits. The parts they snipped out are boring. ;)

Parts they snipped out were boring? Uh no they were vital to the cue...especially for the ending of "Labor Of Love". So don't say something about a version of the score if you haven't heard it.

Oh, that? Hm... ok. That doesn't kill the cue for me, but fair enough. I'm willing to bet that was Giacchino's call, and they just kept it for the DE.

No, I was thinking of those orchestral beats towards the end of "Enterprising Young Men" [2:40-3:00ish]. You know... the vital portion? ;)

Was Giacchino involved with that release?

Giacchino was not involved with the Deluxe Edition, but he was with the OST.

The OST was well put together for it's length, IMHO.

The choir being missing for many cues was to save on union fees, and certain Deluxe Edition micro-edits did actually make sense (such as 17 very quiet, solo string plucks in part of Enterprising Young Men), but on the whole, too many strange errors of omission (instruments being missing at the beginning of "I've Fallen and I Can't Beam Up") or strange cue cross fade choices indicate a rushed release.

Yeah, I'm agreed with OneBuck. It's less than it could (ok... should) have been, but by the same logic Superman II is a total failure because of the inconsistent effects and 45 seconds of slapstick.

Nemesis (the score) is better than Inssurection.

MV posted this on FSM

Trek Scores 101

TMP - owned by Sony Music/Paramount

TWOK - owned by WEA/Paramount

TSFS - owned by WEA/Paramount

TVH - owned by UME/Paramount

TFF - owned by Sony Music/Paramount

TUC - owned by UME/Paramount

Generations - GNP/Paramount

1st Contact - GNP/Paramount

Insurrection - GNP/Paramount

Nemesis - Varese/Paramount

Trek 2009 - Varese/Paramount

Film Score Monthly

-Star Trek II and III

Intrada

-Star Trek IV

-Star Trek VI

La-La Land

-Star Trek V

-Star Trek The Motion Picture (seems likely)

Star Trek Generations, First Contact and Insurrection are left. Going to be interesting to see who releases those.

Ya I think it's a joke, no way there would be this information then suddenly cancelled.

I am most interested in his post on the TV scores, while its sad that we will not get complete/expanded/remastered versions of the previously released Volumes, we could still see releases of the TV scores in the future.

I still call bullshit on Superman1701's post. Information like this posted both on the composers official site, and even Lukas Kendall basically confirming the release...then this random joe posts saying a "reliable source" said it's been cancelled? Bullshit, big time.

Yeah, there's no way that 'canceled' post isn't a joke. If it's scheduled to be released in February, it'd be almost (if not completely) finished by now.

Or it could be a post similar to Superman's and Lukas's, basically saying "its not coming out, but it is, but we want you to think it isnt, so you won't bother us"

I really doubt for a second this release has been cancelled. Superman1701 is probably just posting bullshit and being a bit of a troll. I mean hell the information was posted on the composers' website and Lukas Kendall posted basically confirming the release.

Just because some random Joe says a "reliable source" told him it's cancelled doesn't mean squat.

I'll take the word of Lukas Kendall and the information on the composers website as more legitimacy than that of an average person.

It's nice to see all these Star Trek scores getting propper presentations :) I'll definitely be getting this.

It's nice to see all these Star Trek scores getting propper presentations :) I'll definitely be getting this.

Indeed. I never thought these scores would get the proper releases they deserved. This has literally been a dream come true for this Trekkie.

• 4 weeks later...

I can't wait for this one. Star Trek VI is my favorite Trek movie. I havent made an order in awhile, I should be able to find 2 other scores to bundle with this for the $1 shipping from MovieMusic.