Harry Potter DVD Extras

ocelot

How on earth do you get to the deleted scenes.....????????? I mean, HONESTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's just too much, I'm beside myself with Horror!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK I did it finally!

Go to Gringots, get key and then money. Then buy wand and owl. Then go back to dvd menu and go to classroom, go to potions and figure out the three different combinations then you have to find a key and pick a potion and you are in.... I should have written things down. When you are choosing the potion, it's the one that looks like the round bottle in the potions calss before.

OK, I'm confusing

I noticed that I can directly access each track on the DVD using the number buttons on my remote (never tried them with DVDs before). Most of them will only bring up various sub-menus on the DVD, obviously, but when you try them all, I guess you should find all the interesting features, too.

Marian - who watched the nice documentary today.

:music: Small Soldiers (Jerry Goldsmith)

Spoilers:

There are two ways to get the deleted scenes

Go to Diagon Alley and get the Key from Gringotts flag.

Get your money then get your wand. the location changes, so there's a 1/3 chance that you'll get it.

Then go to the classroom; here's the difference.

The way:

1) If you click on the potions, you have to play the quiz. Can be difficult.

if you don't have book with you.

This way is easier.

2) IN the classroom, highlight the owl statue, then press "up" on remote to highlight the "H". Click "enter"

Play all the quizzes correctly, and you'll get your 7 deleted scenes.

Hope this helps.

I had to do all the quizes !#@@&^@%@@&!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh yeah, and all the deleted scenes had music, appart from one, they sounded like they were done for those scenes, however they could be tracked in.

Just do one way or the other.

#2 is easier.

The way you did was the harder way. (it should have had better goodies for the effort needed)

Deleted Scene 7 (Expanded Snape/HP in potions class)

should have been included: it would have added so much to the characters.

And now that i think about it: they shouldn't have had any closeups of Quirell during the Quidditch match...it kinda gives it away....

What do you click on to perform transfigurations? I can't find that.

And now that i think about it: they shouldn't have had any closeups of Quirell during the Quidditch match...it kinda gives it away....

I thought that too when I watched it for the first time. But now on the DVD, I think I only noticed it because I was looking for it. Snape is much more prominent in those scenes.

Marian - who loves the way Ian Hart delivers the "Troooooll.....in the dungeon" line. :music:

bah...you gotta do all that just to see the deleted scenes?

anyone got a detailed plan on how to access them?

Deleted Scene Access Instructions

So you're braving it, eh? Okay then. With Disc Two in your player, from the main menu, select "Diagon Alley". You'll be faced with a brick wall from which you'll be asked to select the right bricks to let you inside. Just click on a few - the third time you fail to get the right combination, the disc will let you in anyway. Inside Diagon Alley, select the key on the Gringots sign. Inside Gringots, select the coins to get the money you'll need to buy a wand. Next go to Olivanders and select a wand. Once you've finally found one that works, leave Diagon Alley and go back out to the main menu. Select "classrooms". When you get to that page, select "down" on your remote to highlight the creatures on the statue and hit enter twice. You'll be taken into the third floor corridor, where you'll see a three-headed dog. Select the flute and hit enter. Next you'll be taken to a room with flying keys. Select the one farthest back in the center with the broken wing and hit enter. Next you'll see a number of potion bottles. Select the large round one just right of center in the top row and hit enter. At last, you'll see the mirror with the stone in the center. Select the stone and hit enter. FINALLY, you have access to a series of seven deleted scenes in anamorphic widescreen with Dolby Digital 2.0 audio. Enjoy... if you still care at this point.

One note - the deleted scenes are Titles 27-33 on Disc Two... if you can find a way to get at them with that information. Good luck, because I couldn't.  

From thedigitalbits.com

Comments and Overall Score

They definitely put a lot of work into the disc, as the presentation is stellar, but I wish you could have gone directly to the deleted scenes without having to jump through hoops. Don't get me wrong, they are a great extra, but some people just won't want to go through all of the work just to access them.

I also would to have liked to have a commentary track on the disc, as well as a slightly longer documentary about the production.  

Overall Score: 7 out of 10

-- Jeremy Conrad

From dvd.ign.com

I'd have to agree. WB needs to rethink their marketing plans.

adults like HP as much as kids do. And some of us adults would like commentary, documentarys, **coughisolated scorecough** and a HP 2cd complete score would be nice too. :music:

After all, this might be one of WB's biggest cash cows, maybe you should make good quality milk instead milking it for all its worth.

I would have liked it that the didn't seperate the "deleted scenes" a'la directors cut so that those who never saw the film before can enjoy it in its whole. Plus it gives those of us who saw it in the theater an added incentive in watching it again. :music:

Good God, no, what an awful idea.

When will this nonsense ever end. I have yet to see one director's cut that improves on the original movie. There are reasons scenes are left on the cutting room floor. Special editions with tons of extras are great, but to change the film is terrible.

If you are a fan of the movie Lord Gibson, then you have all the incentive you need to watch again, otherwise why waste your money.

Yes, there are reasons. When a Director's Cut follows, the reasons usually were that the studio forced the cuts because they either didn't understand the movie or because they thought audiences wouldn't get it.

I noticed that I can directly access each track on the DVD using the number buttons on my remote

It doesn't work anymore. :evil: Must have been lucky timing when it worked. Damn.

Marian - who still hasn't seen the rest of the extras.

:) The Fury

I have yet to see one director's cut that improves on the original movie.

I'll give you two examples, Star Trek - The Motion Picture - The Director's Edition and The Abyss - Special Edition. Both of these films were compromised in their original release versions. Star Trek was rushed into theaters before a final edit was completed. The new version which came out on DVD a few months ago is a revelation. It shows what the movie was supposed to have been for all these years.

The Abyss had the entire original climax cut out for a variety of reasons. The movie was very long (in a time when most films were around 2 hours), it was not testing consistently and the effects were not completed to everyones satisfaction. However, once you see the film with the proper ending, with the tidal wave sequence (which was finished digitally for the "Special Edition" release) you'll see that the movie is far superior to what was released in 1989.

As for adding scenes to Harry Potter, no, no, no. The movie was perfectly realized. There is not a wasted frame in the movie and to tamper with that would be a crime.

Neil

I wasn't very impressed on the deleted scenes. i don't think they would have added anything to the movie. So i'm sure that's why they weren't in there. but i was shocked at their blah-ness.

I have yet to see one director's cut that improves on the original movie.

I'll give you two examples, Star Trek - The Motion Picture - The Director's Edition and The Abyss - Special Edition.

Neil

I have both of these and I like them both alot. But I admit I liked them alot before the Director's cuts. I am not sure that I agree they are real improvements. Star Treks acting is still wooden, and the pace still slow.

the Abyss is still long and can be confusing.

Still both touched me in ways few new movies do.

The scene in the Abyss where Ed Harris's character and his wife must choose who must drown is one of the most painful scenes to watch. The whole sequence is as emotionally draining as anything I have ever seen.

And in Star Trek, the Enterprise sequence when viewing her, it could be misconstued as, look at what we can do with effects, but because of Goldsmith Perfect and I do me Perfect piece of music this scene goes from excessive to necessary. It was a "Wise" choice not to change this at all.

Joe, who prefers that films not be changed. Just because you can change something doesn't mean you should.