Music you love that doesn't fall within your normal tastes

BLUMENKOHL

One of my co-workers who is from Iran has been introducing me to some music from his country, and I have to say, it makes me realize how tiny my bubble of taste in music is. He shared this pop song of all things with me, and I am positively smitten by it.

Granted the actual 70s looking cheesy music video is hilarious. But if you just let it play in the background you'll start weeping as you wonder..."Why can't Lady Gaga and Jay-Z have such beautiful themes in their music?!"

It has a long intro. But I absolutely melt around 3:24 with the beautiful violins kicking in.

Anyways, what specific music do you love that isn't part of your conventional music listening tastes? Bonus points if you can link a YouTube version of it, so that we can all join in broadening our musical palettes. ;)

A few select rap artists, and very few of their respective songs. Eminem and Jay-Z mostly.

My friend and I always try to introduce each other to new music, and he played me a couple songs by this Japanese artist that completely blew me away. Keep forgetting to have him send me the songs.

I'm not a heavy-metal fan by any means (though I like a good head bang now and again)...but at University I was introduced to a Guitar-player by the name of Steve Vai (he's the guy that crops up at the end of the movie "Crossroads" with that Karate Kid bloke and Joe Seneca)....it's more heavy rock than metal, although he does tend to fit into the Metal mould (or certainly used to - less so these days....his album "Passion and Warfare" has been a constant companion ever since....

Video with him and a couple of others gods from 1992:

"For The Love Of God" From the G3 Concert in 1996 (this performance is - frankly - incredible)

And another, slightly more recent, live one - The Audience Is Listening...

Through my girlfriend I am at times exposed to music or forms of music I would otherwise have no access too.

Namibian Kwaito artist Gazza did 2 songs that I rather like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSz_fGrnYDo

And I rather enjoy the mesmerizing repetitive cadence of Rihanna's Man Down.

Apart from my usual classical, jazz and film music favourites, I also very much like Randy Travis and Emmylou Harris, followed by a lot of 70s-80s pop and progessive metal music (Dream Theater and Symphony X being my favourites) and some Slovenian traditional music (which is - sadly - despised even by many (especially younger) Slovenians) - I'm sure even some of you have already heard one of the most famous polkas on the planet,

by Avsenik Brothers Ensemble.

• 4 months later...

My "normal tastes" are actually quite eclectic...

One minute I can be listening to some death metal and the next to a Chopin concerto ;)

Then put on some Charlie Parker , some Katharine McPhee or Aphex Twin !

( And love them all the same of course )

MIA's video for Bad Girls featuring the insane Saudi hobby of hagwalla is terrific, and a pretty good song to boot.

PS: Be warned if you start youtubing for hagwalla videos, you will see some crazy idiotic things, and horrible gory accidents.

I guess that I wouldn't normally listen to something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_4lPT4xgCI

However, the use of the second half in 127 Hours I found profoundly affecting. I love how enthusiastic, happy, and celebratory it is, while completely staying away from any sugary nonsense.

I am a big time Bing Crosby and Elvis fan. I've been starting to get into 30's and 40's Jazz/Swing music lately.

I hate to admit it but I'm also a fan of dub step it makes good "music" to work out to.

I am a big time Bing Crosby and Elvis fan. I've been starting to get into 30's and 40's Jazz/Swing music lately.

I hate to admit it but I'm also a fan of dub step it makes good "music" to work out to.

dubstep or brostep? =P

i like dubstep.

dubstep or brostep? =P

i like dubstep.

Haha I'm more of a fan of dub but I do have a soft side for skrillex.

Skrillex!!!!!!!!!

You missed it what that was my tag, albeit upside down........ Love love love skrillex. Have a channel on pandora.