Victor Salva on working with Jerry Goldsmith on 'Powder'

chuck

Anyone read this before? I've read this long time ago before I joined this forum and I've just recently discovered it again, so I wanted your opinions on this:

http://pohocounty.bl...and-powder.html

It's a very interesting article about John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith. (Also I would like to point out in that letter, it says "John Debney is the next John Williams!!!")

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good article! I remember at one time, perhaps 12 years ago now, where Williams had said something to the effect that Joel McNeely was going to be his replacement! I can't remember where I heard/read that but I do remember it because I ran out and purchased all I could of McNeely's music and thought to myself... it's good, but .. really??!

Good question. I am not entirely sure, but my brain isn't fully awake yet. He did write a piece of music for the opening of the Disney Concert Hall, but that is not the answer you were looking for. :D

Yeah, I was talking about a Walt Disney film. Still, that is really a fascinating article and what I really like is that John and Jerry used to compose music for each other back in the 50's. So maybe next time when we came across early Johnny's TV score it must have been Jerry who composed it and vice versa!

A nice article/story! :)

Hehehe Johnny has really tough contractual clauses and Jerry was intimidating enough for the director to give in to his vision even though it was not exactly what he wanted. :P

Nah. Williams is just influential, wily enough and has good representation. At that point in the 90's he certainly could choose any project he wanted. Also this would explain why some directors who might have been able to get him did not end up working with him. They get nervous at the thought of Williams walking out in the middle of the project even though I do not know if that has ever happened when the film has already started its production.

Well if you're an up and coming director your best bet would be Jerry Goldsmith. Just make sure to get out of his way when he starts writing a score. :jerry:

Well if you're an up and coming director your best bet would be Jerry Goldsmith. Just make sure to get out of his way when he starts writing a score. :jerry:

Chuckster what are you doing that causes you to post double almost every time?

What browser/OS are you on?

To me Powder has always sounded like Goldsmith channeling Horner for some reason. I guess it has to do with the too sugary sentimentality in some parts of the score.

Salvo proclaimed that Goldsmith was through composing dark scores; so does that mean Goldsmith's done being Herrmann and moved on to Horner???

Salvo proclaimed that Goldsmith was through composing dark scores; so does that mean Goldsmith's done being Herrmann and moved on to Horner???

It means that Goldsmith at this time of his career preferred to wax poetic like a lot of old geezers do...only he did it in then-current Hollywood mushy style.

At this stage of his career, it took either a courageous or powerful director to get his way from him. And he rarely got to work with someone of either sort.

So Goldsmith was Herrmannized in his later years. :lol: Or should I say he Herrmannized other people. Williams has craftily held the nice amiable guy facade a lot longer.

So Goldsmith was Herrmannized in his later years. :lol: Or should I say he Herrmannized other people. Williams has craftily held the nice amiable guy facade a lot longer.

From what i've read, Goldsmith was a grouch since the 60's. Williams certainly is more gentleman-like but certaily no less intimidating.

From what i've read, Goldsmith was a grouch since the 60's. Williams certainly is more gentleman-like but certaily no less intimidating.

That's because Williams is too soft-spoken to be considered a grouch.

From everything I have read, witnessed first hand, and seen in interviews, documentaries, concerts etc... I have never, ever, considered Williams to be less than exemplary in his composure and attitude towards his fans and admirers. I got to chat with him privately a few years ago and he never rushed me or asked me to hurry up. He was very patient, and even went above and beyond other meetings with composers. You can't dream of being able to do that with Goldsmith (well when he was alive... obviously), unless you were in the industry in one aspect or another. Williams was extremely nice to me, and I have heard nothing but similar experiences from other fans. So to come in here and suggest that he cannot be considered grouchy only because he is too soft-spoken or to call him a prima donna, sounds like an insult. Just my .02

Yes well said Johnnyecks. Although I was being facetious with my comments throughout. Everything what I heard read of the man both from reports of fans and his colleagues and friends confirm Williams to be a gentlemanly, soft spoken and polite, from the other end of the spectrum when compared to the likes of tempestous Herrmann and sometimes gruff Goldsmith.

Indeed. I would say that out of the composers that I have met (and by meet I mean, get autographs or say a few words to) I consider Williams to be the most approachable composer, or professional, that I have ever met in the industry. I haven't talked to many, but I have had my fair share of run ins, and he never made me feel like I was ... wasting his time.

Well I haven't seen or witnessed both man in person (and never will be in the case of JG) and it's true that most of the interviews with JW show him as a nice and amiable person, though I've read certain articles that depict him in another light.

This particular gem made me go "whoa":

At one point a cue needed much more emotion than was present and Jerry stood at the podium and in two minutes had written the entire string section into the cue. Ken Hall leaned over to me and said that Jerry was one of the only men alive who could do such a thing on the spot like that.

bowdown bowdown bowdown bowdown bowdown

Interesting article. I wish John Williams would be more of a "grouch" more often. While temp tracks may service a film, they really hurt the art of film music IMO. The worst thing for me is to hear a fantastic piece of music from a composer that I really respect, and then hear the piece of music that was evidently temped into the film.

This particular gem made me go "whoa":

At one point a cue needed much more emotion than was present and Jerry stood at the podium and in two minutes had written the entire string section into the cue. Ken Hall leaned over to me and said that Jerry was one of the only men alive who could do such a thing on the spot like that.

bowdown bowdown bowdown bowdown bowdown

Well, that is, kind of badass.

Yes, and good or bad, you can say he's made real efforts, even when borrowing from himself.

I know another composer, whom I won't name, who also refuses to work with temp tracks. Consequently he's not scoring anymore. I don't blame any composer for it.

I think a director should put himself in the same situation. You sign on to a direct a film, and when you're ready, the studio steps in and gives you a reel of edited footage from other films, telling you, "This is how we want to the film to look, and we want you to shoot as closely to these scens as you can without directly stealing them"; how would you feel? They hire you for your artistry and immediately piegon-hold it and deny any wing spreading (in fact, use somebody else's wings!).

Indeed. I think in some cases, when you have a producer/studio that is way too controlling, that is what happens for directors. But it isn't the norm for them, and it shouldn't be the norm for composers.

I believe it was Morricone who refuses to work on a film with a temp track.

I guess he started this after THE THING.

I don't have a problem with temps, it's sometimes needed for other reasons before the scoring begins. As long as they're not too slavish to it.

• 3 months later...