The Official Jerry Goldsmith Thread

Faleel

34 minutes ago, DangerMotif said:

What are the best/must have Goldsmith expansions?

I have STTMP, Basic Instinct, Total Recall, Chinatown and First Knight. any other recommendations ?

thanks

Well, in my book Star Trek TMP, Basic Instinct, and Total Recall are already the three best, so you're off to a great start!

After that, I really like Planet of the Apes (which is only available in a LLL box set with 4 other scores), Alien (A must-have, I'd say! It's by Intrada), and Twilight Zone: The Movie (FSM)

42 minutes ago, DangerMotif said:

What are the best/must have Goldsmith expansions?

I have STTMP, Basic Instinct, Total Recall, Chinatown and First Knight. any other recommendations ?

thanks

Star Trek V

Legend

Supergirl

The Blue Max

Air Force One

It's worth noting that many of his scores are streaming free on the usual services, so you have the chance to hear many OST albums, and many expansions, legally free before deciding to invest in a physical purchase.

8 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

ALIEN

PLANET OF THE APES 

STAR TREK NEMESIS

STAR TREK INSURRECTION

STAR TREK FIR - what the hell. All of them!

Why not First Contact?

2 hours ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

Why recommend something he just said he already has?

I am bad with abreviations. I didn't know what STTMP is.

But it is nice, that you are interested. 

4 hours ago, Jay said:

After that, I really like Planet of the Apes (which is only available in a LLL box set with 4 other scores)

I mean, Intrada released an expansion (adding "The Hunt", the most important missing cue) and Varese premiered the complete score on a single disc in the 90s (it just had worse sound than the Intrada, and obviously worse sound than the new LLL).

Yavar

Just now, Yavar Moradi said:

I mean, Intrada released an expansion (adding "The Hunt", the most important missing cue) and Varese premiered the complete score on a single disc in the 90s (it just had worse sound than the Intrada, and obviously worse sound than the new LLL).

Yavar

Yeah, but Jay didn't like those. ;)

I don't understand the point of Yavar's post. 

I'm recommending the best expansion of it with the best sound. Nobody should spend money on those old editions. 

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I think he just wanted be a part of the conversation

Unfortunately, he really didn't actually have something to say this time.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I'm recommending the best expansion of it with the best sound. Nobody should spend money on those old editions. 

It was responding to your “only available in a big box set” comment, which might scare some folks off who might be interested in an expansion of the score and could be satisfied with the good-sounding Intrada expansion or okay-sounding Varese complete release, which can both be had much more affordably than an $80 box set (when one takes into account the very expensive shipping) that forces them to also purchase scores by Leonard Rosenman and Tom Scott they don’t give a damn about. Not everyone has the budget to splurge on something like that, even though I agree it’s the best version!

45 minutes ago, A Farewell to Kings said:

I think he just wanted be a part of the conversation

Unfortunately, he really didn't actually have something to say this time.

Untrue, as I’ve explained above. Is there some particular reason you’re being a jerk to me, with this patronizing and condescending comment?

Yavar

The other POTA scores in the box? Jerry's Escape score is cool and fun, but nowhere near essential among his whole filmography. The three scores by other guys I personally can't get into at all. 

But the original score is fantastic, I appreciate it more all the time. A lot of people here don't care for it though. Definitely one to check out on streaming before investing in a physical purchase. 

13 minutes ago, DangerMotif said:

Are the other scores even good?

I’m not a big Rosenman fan in general but his second score is one of his more enjoyable, with a cool march in particular. His first score though has nothing in common with it and it’s all a very unpleasant atonal listen, without the engaging rhythms of the Goldsmith scores for the franchise.

Speaking of which I really love Goldsmith’s second score for the franchise even though it’s not the seminal groundbreaking masterpiece his first is. But that already had a good sounding complete release outside the box too, so if one wanted the complete Goldsmith score rather than the suite of almost two thirds of it on the Varese complete release of his first score, that’s an acceptable substitute.

The Tom Scott score? I do enjoy a few parts of it but other parts do nothing for me. It’s in between the two Rosenman scores, for me.

Yavar

29 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Untrue, as I’ve explained above. Is there some particular reason you’re being a jerk to me, with this patronizing and condescending comment?

Yavar

I wasn't intending my comment to come off that way, I originally had an earlier post there that was I realized came off as super rude and insulting, and was trying to replace it with something way more conciliatory.

I should have just scrapped the whole thing and left it as a NVM type post, (or removed the second part of the post) in hindsight!

8 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

There are five films/scores in the original PotA film series, and the second Rosenman is the fifth of those…

Yavar

Gah, I got Jay's comment about "the other four scores" stuck in my head!

EsrCghXXMAErPc5.jpg:large

6 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Definitely FIRST CONTACT!

Read my original comment as though you are talking to someone.

Sorry, I missed that. By accident FIRST CONTACT is my favourite Star Trek score of Jerry. That's why I asked.

12 hours ago, Jay said:

Jerry's Escape score is cool and fun, but nowhere near essential among his whole filmography.

Essential? Probably not. But if you like this kind of sound, I figure you'll need at least either this or The Prize. And I think both are a lot of fun.

Outside of The Blue Max, I'm not sure if I'd think of any of the scores in those five releases as being near the very top of essentials for someone just getting into Jerry. 

The man had a huge body of work, and if you don't want to just blindly collect every single one, it's gonna be time consuming to sample everything before deciding to invest in owning any particular score of his physically. 

But back to these five titles, they're all really well done releases, as comprehensive and good sounding as elements allowed for with cool artwork, and even fun spine art that forms a picture if you line up all five together. 

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Outside of The Blue Max, I'm not sure if I'd think of any of the scores in those five releases as being near the very top of essentials for someone just getting into Jerry. 

I’d put Tora! Tora! Tora! in company with it, but it’s notable that these were the two scores least upgraded of the lot, because the previous standalone editions from LLL were already pretty much definitive.

Yavar

• 4 months later...

I wanted to ask, where I can find a complete filmography of Jerry Goldsmith, to copy and paste in a word file?

I'm starting to listen to his complete discography and I want to check in my list what I have, what I have listened etc.

Unfortunately the list from imdb is not pasted well. I come up with 74 pages with all the photos and stuff.

edit: Oh, just found this:

Is it comprehensive enough?

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yeah, I had seen that but I wasn't sure if it was complete or not.

8 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Do you want (known) TV and radio and concert scores included, @filmmusic? If so, PM me your email address and I can help you out. IMDb is wrong about quite a few things.

Yavar

Thank you, I pm'ed you!  :)

I just realized that every single Goldsmith film score is released one way or another.

Goldsmith fans must be very happy. Pity we can't say the same about Williams.

It seems the premiere releases have stopped completely.

And I think this happened since the time they started asking him about what to release.

Because I don't suppose he would approve something like John Goldfarb and other scores that we were lucky to have.

14 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I just realized that every single Goldsmith film score is released one way or another.

if you count re-recordings as it being released you mean?  Maybe... it looks like most of the items on this list is TV work, though there does seem to be some films listed here too

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=140075&forumID=1&archive=0

1 minute ago, Jay said:

if you count re-recordings as it being released you mean?  Maybe... it looks like most of the items on this list is TV work, though there does seem to be some films listed here too

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=140075&forumID=1&archive=0

Yeah, I count re-recordings too, but I don't think they are that many.

Well, it is evident from the link I posted earlier (https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/32621-jerry-goldsmith-complete-motion-picture-discography/) that every film score is released. (those scores that say [no release yet], have been released too).

It's really astounding to think of it.

I think part of the reason Intrada tackled the RSNO re-recorded twofer of Black Patch and The Man is because those were the last two remaining totally unreleased Jerry Goldsmith scores for theatrically released films (even though The Man was made as a TV movie and aired that way in the U.S., it received theatrical distributions elsewhere in the world just like The Red Pony did).

That said, there are other (made-for-television) feature film scores of Goldsmith's which remain unreleased, all from the early-mid 70s:

Pursuit (his first collaboration with longtime friend, director Michael Crichton)

Indict and Convict (starring Eli Wallach and William Shatner)

Do Not Fold, Spindle, or Mutilate

Crawlspace (my favorite score of the bunch)

You are also forgetting about two scores Goldsmith substantially wrote (but did not quite complete) for the theatrically released feature films Babe (the Gallant Pig -- its original title) and Disney's The Kid, in the last decade of his life. The written scores for both of these still exist in the Margaret Herrick library, and new/premiere recordings could be produced.

Yavar

I was curious @Yavar Moradi.

You are known as one of the biggest Goldsmith fans, right?

What are your 5 favorite scores of him? Or you have mentioned this elsewhere here?

Βy the way, in my Goldsmith marathon I'm in the mid 60s, and A Patch of Blue already stands out for me!

No wonder it was nominated for an Oscar too!

Here’s my top 10 favorites at the moment (top 5 are pretty solidified now, the bottom five will vary):

1. The Artist Who Did Not Want to Paint
2. Lonely Are the Brave
3. QB VII
4. Papillon
5. Masada
6. The ‘Burbs
7. The Shadow
8. Contract on Cherry Street
9. High Velocity
10. Lionheart

Yavar

Source: https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=143960&forumID=1&archive=0

My top 10:

1 - Star Trek The Motion Picture

2 - Alien

3 - Total Recall

4 - Basic Instinct

5 - Twilight Zone: The Movie

6 - Air Force One

7 - Planet of the Apes

8 - Poltergeist

9 - Gremlins

10 - The Mummy

But admittedly, I have not done the deep dive into his filmography the way you are doing now.  I'm jealous, sounds like a fun project - and one I'll do - eventually!

14 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

What are your 5 favorite scores of him? Or you have mentioned this elsewhere here?

Βy the way, in my Goldsmith marathon I'm in the mid 60s, and A Patch of Blue already stands out for me!

I know you weren't asking me but as a massive Jerry fan, I may as well throw in my (probably fairly standard!) favourites... first top five if  I had to choose at gunpoint (but I could swap out any but ST:TMP and still list them as favourites). No particular order, aside from ST:TMP which I will always regard as his finest work:

1. Star Trek: The Motion Picture
  2. The Final Conflict
  3. Secret of NIMH
  4. Patton
  5. Papillon

Top 25 with lots of cheating:

1. Star Trek: The Motion Picture/Star Trek V (the former is a masterpiece but the second is too much fun to omit)
  2. The Blue Max
  3. The Omen Trilogy (I cheated here somewhat...)
  4. The Mummy
  5. Any of his Joe Dante scores (cheated again)
  6. First Knight
  7. The Rambo Trilogy (cheating)
  8. Mulan
  9. Hoosiers
  10. Patton
  11. Legend
  12. Secret of NIMH
  13. Poltergeist
  14. Medicine Man
  15. Papillon
  16. The Shadow
  17. Planet of the Apes
  18. Alien
  19. Total Recall
  20. Under Fire
  21. The Wind and the Lion
  22. The 13th Warrior
  23. Bad Girls
  24. Air Force One
  25. The Artist Who Did Not Want to Paint

1 hour ago, Jay said:

My top 10:

1 - Star Trek The Motion Picture

2 - Alien

3 - Total Recall

4 - Basic Instinct

5 - Twilight Zone: The Movie

6 - Air Force One

7 - Planet of the Apes

8 - Poltergeist

9 - Gremlins

10 - The Mummy

This is pretty much the same for me as well (in a varying order).  Though, I'd find someway, somehow to wedge Congo in the midst of all those as well. :)

Way too difficult for me to pick "n Goldsmith favourites", but here's some that haven't been mentioned so far:

Planted squarely in the middle between Legend and Rambo 2:

Where Horner maybe got his fluttering Khan brass from:

And no longer quite one of my favourites, but the score that turned me into a Goldsmith fan - and still one of my favourite examples of onomatopoeia:

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Here’s my top 10 favorites at the moment (top 5 are pretty solidified now, the bottom five will vary):

1. The Artist Who Did Not Want to Paint
2. Lonely Are the Brave
3. QB VII
4. Papillon
5. Masada
6. The ‘Burbs
7. The Shadow
8. Contract on Cherry Street
9. High Velocity
10. Lionheart

Yavar

Source: https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=143960&forumID=1&archive=0

It's probably my top 4 that are more solidified, in retrospect. I think even Masada I might swap out for something else when the mood strikes me.

3 hours ago, filmmusic said:

3 hours ago, filmmusic said:

Unusual choices!

I'll keep an eye for them.

Here's the thing... I love Goldsmith so much, and I know so much of his insanely prolific output... that even narrowing down a Top 50 Goldsmith scores is incredibly difficult for me. Like, to me he has *well* over 50 "five star" scores. So Poltergeist, Tora! Tora! Tora!, Seconds, The Chairman, Magic, The Mummy, The Edge, Medicine Man, Night Crossing, The Final Conflict, Planet of the Apes, Twilight Zone: The Movie, Alien, half a dozen of his western scores, *any* of his three Rambo scores, or *either* of his first two Star Trek scores could easily sub into my top 10 list. A Patch of Blue too -- gorgeous and sensitive masterpiece! None of these scores are "lesser" than the ten I listed on FSM, for me. But if forced to narrow it down to 10 favorites on the spot, that's what I came up with that day.

And honestly this score he wrote for a radio program in early 1957 (before he even scored his first film with Black Patch) is, to my mind, his first five-star masterpiece, and also well deserves to appear on Top 10 Goldsmith lists:

If a new recording of it is ever produced for album, I'll bet it shoots up a lot of people's lists. It's like four great concert pieces for narrator and orchestra.

Yavar