The Official Jerry Goldsmith Thread

Faleel

Air Force One has been showing and I've been tuning in just to hear the kickass score.

It definitely is a bad ass score. I love the near complete boot for it. I'm irritated though that Varèse has the rights for the score in perpetuity. We may never see a legit expanded release for it.

Trent, I comparred the old boot to the new one with excellent sound, and then aganst the film -- if you combine the properly, it's the complete score, with some cues not used, some alternates*.

* = There are, however, two pick-ups missing. The Main Title has some opening bars not on either boot, and another cue (that's I don't recall the name of) has a brief extended ending.

Woah...do you mean to say in all this time, JWFan has never had an official Goldsmith tread?! :o

That's a lot to take in...I might need a minute....

Cool....I've been going through my Jerry collection over the past couple weeks, I think I might try to rank them fav to least.

Feel free to post any interviews where Goldsmith comes off like a bit of a dick.

During one of the session boots for Star Trek The Motion Picture you can hear Goldsmith snapping at a couple of the musicians telling them sharply to be quiet.

And telling Joel something like, "Joel, you think you can get back to work now?"

But yopu got to remember, this wasn't a fun-filled thing for him, this was work and he took it very seriously. Except that one time he put on a gorilla mask for POTA. ;-)

Just watch those 24+ minute of sessions from "Menphisto Waltz" on Youtube. Just watch all those interviews on Youtube. Just read any of his interviews in magazines, like Soundtrack!.

Where one might see a "dick", another with stronger work princaples might see a man with a love and passion, under studio pressure (each minute of recording in very pricey...) to get it done, while at the same time making any producer/directors there happy, and not alienating the musicians in the process. And he had at least two kids, a divorce, a drinking habbit at one time, and then illness that lead to his death. Give the man a little room.

Where one might see a "dick", another with stronger work princaples might see a man with a love and passion, under studio pressure (each minute of recording in very pricey...) to get it done, while at the same time making any producer/directors there happy, and not alienating the musicians in the process. And he had at least two kids, a divorce, a drinking habbit at one time, and then illness that lead to his death. Give the man a little room.

I have the RIVER WILD sessions footage on the Goldsmith DVD and i honestly can't see any behaviour that would intimidate a 10-year old. I meet men far more edgy in daily working life. The world just isn't a place inhabited by wise wizards gifting supreme powers at a whim, friendly fairies smiling lovingly or boisterous hero types.

I have the RIVER WILD sessions footage on the Goldsmith DVD and i honestly can't see any behaviour that would intimidate a 10-year old. I meet men far more edgy in daily working life. The world just isn't a place inhabited by wise wizards gifting supreme powers at a whim, friendly fairies smiling lovingly or boisterous hero types.

I think in film music industry all composers have to have a quite strict discipline and authority to keep the ball rolling and recording sessions going. I do not think that you should label a man "a dick" for trying to maintain schedule and professional atmosphere when the clock is ticking and people should be in line. Everybody has a bad day sometimes, everybody has some issues that might affect their work and relationships at work, no matter how professional they might be. What I have seen from any recording sessions (only video material) are people highly disciplined doing amazing work with tight schedules and budgets, being very no-nonsense about it and keeping a strict order to do so. You do not have to run recording sessions like a Nazi concentration camp but the other end of the spectrum is not happy-go-lucky atmosphere where people goof around. Sometimes people actually deserve what they have gotten from a composer/conductor if they have not been sharp enough that day.

I don't doubt that Goldsmith could be a pretty grumpy fellow, but fans often seem to expect a fleshborn incarnation of their deep affection which quite understandably puzzles a lot of artists more than it flatters them.

I saw both Williams and Goldsmith in concert, and i can flat out tell you that the line-up of often quite impolite nerds with a stack of 40 LP's to sign would make me very irascible after a while. Wouldn't you believe all the complaints you could read on FSM later how 'unapproachable' the composers were? These stories get repeated ad nauseum et voilá, first class prick is your new label! :sigh:

I remember one story from a member, possibly on FSM, who told he somehow got invited to a session (I forget which score), and he brought a little bag of CD's to sign, if the chance arouse, but he decided not to. Goldsmith was polite, chatted briefly, and he had a great time, and when he left and retrieved his bag, when he wasn't looking, guess who signed them?

Great little story.

Hey, it was nothing against Goldsmith. Judging from many appearances I've seen, he was a very blunt, no-nonsense kinda guy. Not a bad guy or anything. No doubt he was a workhorse, professional, musical God, etc. It's not about signing autographs or whatever. I would say he was something like a cross between Spock and McCoy. When examining the Beatles of film scoring, he was clearly the balls.

Woah...do you mean to say in all this time, JWFan has never had an official Goldsmith tread?! :o

"Official" threads are still a relitively new phenomenon, back in "the day" we didn't really bother with them.

As I said in his birthday thread I've been going through my whole Goldsmith collection and have been loving it. Discovered new love for some scores I never thought much of before, reaffirmed it for others. Might post some thoughts when I get done.

"Official" threads are still a relitively new phenomenon, back in "the day" we didn't really bother with them.

Oh, I see. Its just I'm surprised that Desplat and lesser known composers like Abel Korzeniowski (although he's exceptionally talented) have gotten "Official" threads and the legend Goldsmith, hasn't ;)

So guys, whats your favourite Goldsmith score? Tough question, I know :D

What's funny is that one of the doorbells where I work is the same ascending interval that opens the fanfare to Goldsmith's Masada. So everytime someone wants in, I immediately think of that theme.

I'm a big fan of his slightly altered theme for the end titles of Star Trek: Insurrection, with the muted notes. Amazing recording to boot. Brings the house down every time.

I'm a hater of his slightly altered theme for the end titles of Star Trek: Insurrection, with the muted notes. Terrible recording to boot. annoys me every time

Fixed!

The few film cameo appearances of Jerry Goldsmith:

That looks like Goldsmith's wife, Carol next to him in that Gremlins 2 clip.

That was Carol Goldsmith.