Irish music?

alicebrallice

Trevor Jones' score to "Loch Ness" has some celtic touches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNunXYqXhwk

The track "Raven's Wind", from "Hercules: The Lengendary Journeys" (Volume 3) will be, or at least should be, right up your alley.

BIG fan of this genre!

Far and Away! (Arguably my favourite Irish score!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAlHO6qlfW4

The Shipping News (Christopher Young)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1CltM43CFA

Michael Collins (Elliot Goldenthal)

The Devil's Own (James Horner) amongst many other of his works...

Just a few examples of how awesome the genre is ;)

Oh an Irish folk music band called The Chieftains has many great albums. They play traditional Irish music but also have done many cross over albums with many different kind of artists. They perform on the above mentioned John Williams score Far and Away. :)

Oh an Irish folk music band called The Chieftains has many great albums. They play traditional Irish music but also have done many cross over albums with many different kind of artists. They perform on the above mentioned John Williams score Far and Away. :)

They also have a film music album out, comprising the scores they've done themselves (well, mostly by Paddy Maloney):

http://www.amazon.com/Film-Cuts-Chieftains/dp/B000003G1E

They also have a film music album out, comprising the scores they've done themselves (well, mostly by Paddy Maloney):

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B000003G1E

And what a great album it is. Nice Irish flavoured film music all. :)

It's really all the same when you weren't born on the British Isles...

Also it would be worse if you were a grouchy musicologist or expert on English folk music. Much worse.

Dear Alice, you must definitely try Lúnasa and The Bothy Band. Believe it or not, I actually play bodhrán and sing in an "Irish" band myself (none of us is Irish of course but we play Irish traditional music). :) We even have one CD out so far, and the second one is coming this year. Soon, we'll be performing at the St. Patrick's day reception of the ambassador of the Republic of Ireland like we do every year, and it's a great honour for us that we get invited to play at this event every year. You can check us out here, and I can also send you the CD if you like.

Anyway, here is my favourite Lúnasa's set of reels (beginning with Ballivanich Reel) which we also play, so you can get an idea about how cool they are! :D

I love Clannad, especially, "Sirius". Oddly, for an Irish band, this cd was recorded at Rockfield Studios, in...Wales!

Another band that I have loved for over 20 years is called Iona, a Celtic band that provided the music for a BBC wlidlife documentary.

Dear Alice, you must definitely try Lúnasa and The Bothy Band. Believe it or not, I actually play bodhrán and sing in an "Irish" band myself (none of us is Irish of course but we play Irish traditional music). :) We even have one CD out so far, and the second one is coming this year. Soon, we'll be performing at the St. Patrick's day reception of the ambassador of the Republic of Ireland like we do every year, and it's a great honour for us that we get invited to play at this event every year. You can check us out here, and I can also send you the CD if you like.

that's awesome! I'll check out your website right away : )

Oh, don't get me started on THIS topic...

But you shouldn't get caught whistling it at the wrong side of the road in Belfast town.

love this!

I don't understand why that company uses the name TROJAN to sell condoms.

The Trojan Horse was the means by which the Greek army penetrated the defenses of Troy, allowing thousands of Greek soldiers to run amok inside as Troy lay with her city gates spread wide.

That's the exact opposite of how a condom is supposed to work. In fact, Trojan-style would be NO condom.

Absolutely, Wojo.

The company's name doesn't inspire confidence. It's a good idea,

the clip. But not executed very well. Rather cheap.

Whatever - use a Trojan!

I don't understand why that company uses the name TROJAN to sell condoms.

The Trojan Horse was the means by which the Greek army penetrated the defenses of Troy, allowing thousands of Greek soldiers to run amok inside as Troy lay with her city gates spread wide.

That's the exact opposite of how a condom is supposed to work. In fact, Trojan-style would be NO condom.

ROTFLMAO

• 2 years later...

[RANDOM THREAD BUMP]

Goldenthal's Michael Collins isn't spectacularly easy to find new. Any chance of it every getting an expanded release by one of the specialty labels in the future? 2016 would be a logical time I guess (if it was being done by an Irish company anyway).

I dunno how I missed this thread..

I really like the Finnegan music from the Star Trek episode Shore Leave (don't know if its Irish or Scottish though).

[RANDOM THREAD BUMP]

Goldenthal's Michael Collins isn't spectacularly easy to find new. Any chance of it every getting an expanded release by one of the specialty labels in the future? 2016 would be a logical time I guess (if it was being done by an Irish company anyway).

Exceptional score.

[RANDOM THREAD BUMP]

Exceptional score.

Listening to it this evening and it was striking how much of it I could remember. The last time I saw the film was on VHS!

The last time I saw the film was on VHS!

Same here. Mine came in a big fancy box which is still lying around here somewhere.

I once graduated in the same ceremony as Neil Jordan. I'll bet he's always telling people how he once graduated in the same ceremony as Glóin the Dark.

[RANDOM THREAD BUMP]

Exceptional score.

The arrangement of "She Moved Through the Fair" is sublime!

It's just that good then!

This thread is 3 years old. I don't even remember being here that long! Cut me some slack!

[RANDOM THREAD BUMP]

Exceptional score.

The arrangement of "She Moved Through the Fair" is sublime!

Quite so! Worth several reposts!