Happy 80th Birthday John Williams!!!

Incanus

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope I can still do things at 80 just as well as I will do them in my 30s.

Happy birthday maestro. Truly an inspiration. Not to mention without you I wouldn't have met some really cool people.

Happy birthday! I'm retiring by age 65 but there are plenty of able accountants to fill my shoes. I can only hope John Williams is still having fun after all these years!

Happy birthday John Williams!

My short tribute to him here: http://alainmayrand.com/?page_id=553

I am feeling kind of emotional. I wish he could live for another 80 years. One day we will not have JW scores to look forward to, but for now, let's celebrate!

Happy birthday Maestro!

For me, you are the greatest living composer of music for films and concert halls. Here's to you....!

P.S. Despite everyone's predictions, I have a feeling you are going to win another Oscar this year... ;)

Roman

Great tribute Alain, I must say I feel the same way to Williams. I'll always love his music for always whisking me away to a different world for a different adventure. Right now, I'm listening to E.T. God, I love this score....

Ah yes, our other former member who only returns to post once a year, on the maestro's birthday

I know, I can't believe how young I was those 10 years ago when I started here! I'll be returning more often. Gosh I hate it that people have to grow old. At least Some of us (Maestro) would deserve to live forever though! Hopefully the next Nobel Prize will go to the one who finds a gen to achieve immortality.

Great tribute Alain, I must say I feel the same way to Williams. I'll always love his music for always whisking me away to a different world for a different adventure. Right now, I'm listening to E.T. God, I love this score....

Tell me about it! Which one are you playing? I love the original MCA CD that I got -- ironically -- at a used CD store for a dime in 2000.

Tell me about it! Which one are you playing? I love the original MCA CD that I got -- ironically -- at a used CD store for a dime in 2000.

As much as I love the MCA CD original, I'm currently relishing the great 2002 20th Anniversary edition. Simply awesome!

As much as I love the MCA CD original, I'm currently relishing the great 2002 20th Anniversary edition. Simply awesome!

I still lack the 1996 MCA expanded and 2002's SACD print that is a must considering how much I love this score...

E.T.

I still lack the 1996 MCA expanded and 2002's SACD print that is a must considering how much I love this score...

Get it. John Williams' greatest score the best it's ever sounded. The 20th remaster isn't as good, in my opinion.

Happy Birthday and thanks for E.T., Star Wars, Jaws, Superman, Indy, Hook, Close Encounters, Jurassic Park, Home Alone, NBC News, Amazing Stories, the OIympics and, of course, Harry Potter. Thank you for everything (but especially those).

Happy birthday Maestro! Many thanks for half a century of music, and as always, looking forward to your next work.

I've celebrated this day by listening to a track from every JW score I own, from 1966 to 2011. Nearly 5 hours of music, and I must say, it has been quite a journey. I first became aware of John Williams in the mid 90s and the first OST of his I bought was Jurassic Park in 1997. Listening back through all these scores made be very nostalgic for the late 90s to mid 2000s when I was discovering his music and eagerly awaiting his next new score or my next delivery from Amazon of his older work. No other composer's music connects to me on as many levels as JW. His music has been a constant in my life for over 15 years, and will be for many decades to come.

Happy birthday!

Here's a lenghty piece I wrote as a tribute for JW's 80th birthday for the Italian film music website ColonneSonore.net (it's in Italian, so you have to use those pesky automated transaltors if you want to grasp something of my blabber :))

http://www.colonneso...n-williams.html

Bravo, Maurizio! This is a fantastic, heartfelt tribute. I enjoyed it very much.

Mari's annual birthday post! As always, thanks for the good wishes, Kathy, and hope you have a great rest of 2012!

Thanks Alan! I hope 2012 is equally great for you.

:music: The Five Sacred Trees

Happy Birthday, Mr. Williams. Your music has underscored my life since I saw Star Wars when I was 4 years old. :)

Happy Birthday Maestro! You are my worldly inspiration. Without you, I wouldn't be the composer/director/actor I am today. Hell I don't think I would even love movies.

Every time I see your avatar pic, I am like, "Wait! When the heck did I write that!"

And then I see it wasn't me at all... :lol:

Small lovely tribute from music critic extraordinaire Alex Ross:

http://www.therestisnoise.com/2012/02/john-williams-at-80.html

Happy birthday John Williams!

My short tribute to him here: http://alainmayrand.com/?page_id=553

I am feeling kind of emotional. I wish he could live for another 80 years. One day we will not have JW scores to look forward to, but for now, let's celebrate!

Really touching, Alain. I feel the same in many ways. Thanks for sharing it!

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

That was amazingly terrific!!!!!!!!! Spectacular playing and spectacular arrangement

It actually caused to pause and remind myself that: Even though lately my film score time has been spent mostly trying to track down every last note of every last cue that makes up his entire film score, there's so much to admire about just the main THEMES of these scores that I sometimes forget about. My god, the man has written amazing themes in his lifetime. Truly incredible.

Terrific arrangement but there are several pieces in the wrong key if my ears are not mistaken. And yes that version of Jaws Theme is certainly Dvorak more than JW. :lol: