FSM Releases 5CD Complete Ben Hur (over 6 hours of music)

Joe Brausam

I Am The Walrus.

I am the eggman.

Goo goo g'joob.

And yes, this is a must-have release and it's totally worth its price. But nowadays I don't think there's enough people willing to pay for it to guarantee more than 2000 copies. It will sell out thanks to ebay scalpers as usual.

Got it! It looks gorgeous. Won't get a chance to listen to it until tomorrow as we're throwing a party tonight and have much preparing to do. I tried to upload the CDs to iTunes. The track names haven't been uploaded onto iTunes yet. I really can't be bothered to type them all out myself this time (especially for a 5-disc set). If anyone else uploads the track names I'll be very grateful! :D

It's here! It truly is a gorgeous package! The wait to listen to it will be hard...I still have 7 discs of the Herrmann box left to listen to first!

Care to enter the Ben Hur track details into iTunes while listening to the Herrmann? :)

EDIT: Never mind, the tracks names have now been added to iTunes! Someone's been busy since getting their CDs! :D

It's here! It truly is a gorgeous package! The wait to listen to it will be hard...I still have 7 discs of the Herrmann box left to listen to first!

I made my way through the Herrmann box a few weeks ago and since then also finished the Raksin set and most of the Blue Box.

My Hur hasn't shipped yet though, so it'll be another 1-2 weeks until I have it. Any comments on sound quality? Especially compared to the Rhino release?

Got it! People on FSM board complained about the packaging being terrible or whatever. Strange, I have no problems with it at all.

Oh dear, I have no idea where to start my listen. It's friggin 6 hours! Which is quite intimidating.

Karol

I started with disc 1. :D

The only beef I have with the packaging is that the booklet doesn't contain all the track details. I had to go to the website and download pdf files of all the info. I'd far rather have had all this physically in a bigger booklet included with the set. However, the sound is gorgeous.

I love this movie and score so much, I dislike spending 68 bucks but I did.

not to mention another 20 or so for Johnny's contributions from Gilligan's Isand. :john::whistle:

I really like the second Kloss album, especially the new and alternate material (like the Entr'Acte). The other two are more of a standard compilations. Well, one compilation recorded twice.

Karol

Ok, so why does the Parade of the Charioteers (Disc 2, track 16) sound like crap compared to the surrounding tracks? It really sounds bad! Is it taken from a different source??? What a disappointment. It's one of the most famous moments in the score, and sounds really poor in comparison to the bright, full-sounding tracks surrounding it.

The Parade of the Charioteers on the Rhino set sounds much better, but then it seems to be a different take.

The marches for Ben-Hur weren't recorded in Hollywood, nor in a studio. They were recorded in Rome, outdoors in order to simulate the sound of a march being performed out in the open,

Ok, so why does the Parade of the Charioteers (Disc 2, track 16) sound like crap compared to the surrounding tracks? It really sounds bad! Is it taken from a different source??? What a disappointment. It's one of the most famous moments in the score, and sounds really poor in comparison to the bright, full-sounding tracks surrounding it.

The Parade of the Charioteers on the Rhino set sounds much better, but then it seems to be a different take.

There might be an explanation in the online liner notes for the score regarding the source of these different takes.

The marches for Ben-Hur weren't recorded in Hollywood, nor in a studio. They were recorded in Rome, outdoors in order to simulate the sound of a march being performed out in the open,

But wasn't that limited to the source marches with just brass and percussion? Isn't Parade of the Charioteers fully orchestral? More a score cue with source stylings than an actual source cue.

Also, the fanfares surrounding the Parade of the Charioteers sound crystal clear. Surely the fanfares are what Rozsa wanted to sound like source music, not the parade.

According to the online notes, the version I'm talking about (disc 2, track 16) is the full version, not the highly edited version that ended up in the film. It's the edited version that's on the Rhino set, I think. That's fine, and I'm very happy to have it. However, it's such a difference in sound quality that I think I'd rather have had the good-quality edited version in the body of the soundtrack on disc 2, and the full version as an extra on one of the other discs. As it stands, it's very jarring.

This is what Mike Matessino has to say on the subject.

The complete recording of "Parade of the Charioteers" was discovered and is released here for the first time. It was important to include it in spite of the quality as compared to the MGM material. Up to now the only surviving recording was edited to match the film and that version is presented among the alternates.

Mike

Karol

Ok, that makes sense. I'm glad to have the complete version of course. I'll probably make my own version and bring the edited version into the OST and keep the full version on the extras disc.

The alternate Entre'acte on disc 4 is amazing! I can't believe this piece was never used in the film. Exciting and exhilarating music, I've had it running around in my head for the last 3 days!

Not sure why, but the stratospheric violins' rising-falling section makes me think of Janacek. The brass fanfare at the start is wonderful too. I love both entre'acts, and may put both back to back on my own score CD. I'd start with the original (more sombre and fitting after the downbeat end to part one of the film/score), and launch straight into the alternate as a good set-up for the upbeat chariot music at the start of part two.

Well, they had less than 100 copies remaining a week ago...

Karol

I don't recall that being announced anywhere, and I don't see it on their facebook page or screenarchives.com now

I found the post. The poster who said it was down to less than 100 copies just used the shopping cart trick. Since there's been no official announcement from SAE/FSM, it probably only means that FSM only ran out of the initial copies they received from the plant (probably 1,000 copies). I'd expect it to be back up for sale at SAE when they get more copies in

Generally though even if they sell through their first batch they continue to take orders. I think it's likely that it sold out, Ben-Hur has appeal outside of film music fans as well, but we'll see what Lukas has to say.

Edit: It's available again on SAE, perhaps it was a glitch or something last night.

There definitely would have been an announcement on FSM's forums and Screen Archive's Facebook page if it was truly close to selling out.

Thank God...I still didn't get mine yet and I was freaking out when you guys were telling me they're probably sold out...

Yeah I am still on the fence whether to buy it or not. Common sense says save money for Hook since I got to prioritize my soundtrack purchases, desire to get this definitive set of an awesome score say go ahead. Still battling.

The "fill the shopping cart" method is never a solid measure because it fails to count how many SAE has already sold to other vendors like Intrada, MovieMusic, and BSX (though it's not there at the moment). Such numbers are confidential.

I bought it but haven't ripped it yet.