Composer Cameos in Film

KK

I thought the Goldsmith cameos in the Goldsmith thread were really cool, and then it had me thinking, how many other composers got the chance to score a cameo on their film. I cant list many, but Id like to see who got so lucky. Has Williams ever had a cameo? Seriously doubt it. But how about the stars of the younger generation, like Giacchino?

Here are a few I found:

HOWARD SHORE

Shore getting Drunk:

Shore conducting Steiner's King Kong in Jackson's King Kong (although you can barely see him):

kingkong.jpg

JOHN BARRY

Barry appearing as conductor in Deadfall:

Barry conducting orchestra in The Living Daylights:

barrytld.jpg

JERRY GOLDSMITH

Both Goldsmith and Spielberg are together in this one for the Gremlins (already been mentioned in the Goldsmith thread):

spielberg-cameo-gremlins.jpg

JAMES HORNER

Horner walking down in Star Trek II:

startrekII.jpg

BERNARD HERRMANN

Conducting (as usual) the orchestra in The Man Who Knew Too Much:

bernard3am3.jpg

DANNY ELFMAN

Hard to believe, but thats actually him in The Gift:

thegift.jpg

Anything else to share guys? I know I missed a lot!

DAFT PUNK

During the club scene during Tron Legacy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CounIhWOdtM

Elfman has appeared in lots of movies if you also include his Oingo Boingo performances. And even starred in stuff like FORBIDDEN ZONE as an actor (where he played Satan). In fact, he appeared as a savage tribesman as early as 1977, in I NEVER PROMISED YOU A ROSE GARDEN:

elfman%20drummer.jpg

A very young John Williams appears as pianist in the TV series STACCATO (1959). Check him out at 0:38 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aJurlPQmys&feature=related

Basil Poledouris appeared as an extra in some old STAR TREK episodes.

4070210934_79ceec1081_o.jpg

And here:

4072942404_0f8f096965_o.jpg

And as a Nazi in an episode of PATTERNS OF FORCE:

4118125776_ab9a8aa057_o.jpg

Lalo Schifrin appears as conductor in Brett Ratner's RED DRAGON:

reddragon.jpg

And here's the one of Elfman as Satan in FORBIDDEN ZONE (where he touches a woman's naked boobs, among other things):

dannyelfman.jpg

Basil Poledouris appeared as an extra in some old STAR TREK episodes.

Was that ever confirmed?

Yes, here:

http://www.filmscore...mID=1&archive=0

Poledouris told this himself to Lukas Kendall.

Didn't John Malkovich shoot her dead a few years later?

Shoot who dead?

I noticed it immediately when I saw SPIDERMAN 3. Can't remember the scene exactly (it's been a while since I saw the film in theatres), but they were entering some sort of concert hall.

Christopher Young appears in Spiderman 3 chris2nz1.jpg

What scene is that? I haven't seen the movie lately, but I'm sure I'd have noticed something that prominent.

I think it was in a scene involving Mary Jane's musical rehearsal at the theater. I remember spotting Young while watching the film as well although I think I knew to expect him, having heard of his cameo.

Giacchino appears in Super 8, but I've never seen him.

I heard he was playing Deputy Chawford in the scene with the radio not working, but frankly I don't remember it...

Maybe if John was actually interested in movies he'd have secured a couple of cameos in them.

He was interested in a lot of the films he scored, but I guess he just wasn't interested in actually appearing in them.

Doesn't John Williams appear in the film Blown Away, conducting an orchestra? Also, Trevor Rabin can be seen clearly near the beginning of yuletide sobfest Jack Frost playing his guitar. Patrick Doyle has had cameos in quite a few films, including Henry V, Dead Again (as a policeman) and Frankenstein (where he can be seen conducting, I think).

Bernard Herrmann's cameo deserves to be seen in full if you've never watched it before (great piece of music by Arthur Benjamin too):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaoKtN-4--0

Doesn't John Williams appear in the film Blown Away, conducting an orchestra? Also, Trevor Rabin can be seen clearly near the beginning of yuletide sobfest Jack Frost playing his guitar. Patrick Doyle has had cameos in quite a few films, including Henry V, Dead Again (as a policeman) and Frankenstein (where he can be seen conducting, I think).

I can't remember having seen Williams in BLOWN AWAY, but Doyle also happens to be educated as an actor, so he has appeared in several things, and not only as an extra. He has a pronounced role in MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING, for example.

Williams has a cameo in Sabrina as the pianist at the outdoor party.

Really? I missed that.

Something a la the STACCATO clip above, then, I guess.

I can't remember having seen Williams in BLOWN AWAY, but Doyle also happens to be educated as an actor, so he has appeared in several things, and not only as an extra. He has a pronounced role in MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING, for example.

Yes. In Henry he "only" sings and stands in some background shots, but I don't know if his "character" is in the original play. In Much Ado he actually does play a role credited by Shakespeare, though again it's just singing and quite a bit of background interaction.

He does have a genuine acting role in Chariots of Fire as far as I know, but I've never seen it.

If memory serves, "Blown Away" used some archival footage of a Hatch Shell concert, hence John Williams being in picture. From what I recall of the movie, there were some close ups, but for that, there was some actor performing as conductor.

John Williams should've been conducting the orchestra in Home Alone 2. What a missed opportunity.

True! If I remember correctly, IMDb for some time actually incorrectly listed Williams actually cameoing as a conductor in Carnegie Hall.

I complied a list of cameos on my blog:

http://musicbehindth...ser-cameos.html

I'd love to add any screenshots you can come up with!

Well, you could add the Elfman one above, from I NEVER PROMISED YOU A ROSE GARDEN (1977). There are also a gazillion appearances as Oingo Boingo, as I mentioned, but they may be beside the point.

And the Poledouris ones.

There are also some other mentioned here that you don't have on your list, although some of them have youtube videos instead of a screen grab.

Williams has a cameo in Sabrina as the pianist at the outdoor party.

That's no Williams. Unless Williams had grayish hair and a pony tail back in 1995...

Reminded me of a certain composer...

A very young John Williams appears as pianist in the TV series STACCATO (1959). Check him out at 0:38 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aJurlPQmys&feature=related

Woah! Never seen that before, that was awesome! Thanks!!

Also in As You Like It (he sings the song).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1tGE2_moIk

Randy Newman had a voice cameo appearance as "Cousin Randy" in The Princess and the Frog.

Not just voice, Cousin Randy also bears an uncanny visual resemblance to Newman:

According to IMDb, he was supposed to voice a major character originally?

• 1 year later...

Marc Shaiman in..

The Adams Family
marc-shaiman.jpeg

The Wedding Planner
wedding_planer.jpg

Down with Love
shaiman.jpg

Broadcast News
shaimanbroadcast.png

Christopher Young in Spiderman 3
spidey3.jpg

Our very own JW in an episode of Johnny Staccato (1959)
johnnystaccato.jpg

Miklos Rozsa in The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes (1970)
mrl007.jpg

David Newman in The Runestone (1991)
newmanrunestone.png

Henry Mancini in Son of the Pink Panther (1993)
mancini.jpg

Danny Elfman in Forbidden Zone (1982)

elfmanforbbiden.jpg

Alexandre Desplat was spotted in costume on the set of George Clooney's The Monuments Men:

http://www.popsugar.com/Matt-Damon-George-Clooney-Set-Monuments-Men-30659165?slide=1&image_nid=30659183

I wonder how big his role is.

And doesn't he just look the part, right down to the beret and that red scarf. Isn't that how all French men look like? I bet he has an accordion and fake moustache and a baguette hidden somewhere in that wagon they are sitting in. :P