You know you're getting old when...

Quintus

Yesterday, the 19yr old girl who works with me on Mondays asked me if I was planning to go see The Phantom Menace 3D, to which I answered, "god no, not a chance." She asked me why not, she knows I like movies, I guess; turns out she "loves" Star Wars.

A discussion ensued in which I told her that a lot of people (mainly fellas) of my generation had grown to hate and despise the "prequel trilogy", and only have a love and loyalty for the "original trilogy"; to which her expression was one of baffled bewilderment. "What's the original trilogy?" she asked.

I naturally inquired if she knew the movies with Han Solo, Princess Leia and Luke Skywalker, and she did - but apparently she had just assumed those movies were always a part of what she was just learning to be the PT - she didn't make any distinctions between them. She had no idea that this OT thing I was telling her about came along not only sometime before the PT, but that it was actually over thirty years ago! She was genuinely shocked at this revelation! I told her that Star Wars came out the year I was born, 1977, to which she replied, "oh my god!" Yep, utterly stunned.

So, with that enlightenment out of the way, I eventually went on to say, "the best thing about the prequel trilogy is the music."

She came back with, "what do you mean?" I carefully hinted at the "scores'" legendary status, to which she laughed out, "oh yeah you got it on your iPod, Lee!" Keeping face and remaining dignified, I gently explained that I collected film soundtracks. Her initial reaction to make a joke out of it turned into one of piqued intrigue. She seemed to have more questions... but unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) work suddenly got very busy.

So yeah, probably for the first time in my life I was acutely aware that the Star Wars generation's time was well and truly over. I felt old.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol:

I must say, I don't know how normal that is. Of the people in that generation that I know, none of them are as misguided as this girl. Honestly it sounds like she's lacking a bit in common sense if she didn't even know the OT came before the prequels...I mean there are some pretty major indicators just in the way the actors talk, etc. Either that or she just doesn't know movies at all.

2012 - 1977 = 35

Quint is 34 years old.

~*~

You know you're getting old when your little sister texts you to say that Indiana Jones is on TV, and that watching them reminds her of being a kid.

She "loves" Star Wars, and still have no idea about the prequel and original trilogies...

I feel old, at least, music wise, every single time a student of mine asks me about my music preferences. I always tell them that I listen to classical music, old stuff, but for them, old stuff is the hit from a couple of years. For them, my musical tastes aren't old, they are ancient. Worst is that doesn't happen only with the kids, but also with my colleagues...

She "loves" Star Wars, and still have no idea about the prequel and original trilogies...

I buy that. She doesn't have the polarized attitude about "those three" versus "the other three" that us older folk do. For us who obsess over Star Wars, the prequel vs OT debate is the centerpiece of nearly every thought about the subject. She would have been six when TPM came out, and 12 when the saga finally ended. She hasn't had a decade of time between Jedi and the Star Wars renaissance circa 1995 for the OT to become embedded as something legendary in her brain. She just sees them as six movies about fantastic adventures in space, and that's it.

What vexes me about the whole film / youth / aging combination is the apparent willfulness of many film fans to simply avoid watching black and white movies. I once heard, and this may be apocryphal, that a film student at a university asked for their tuition fee to be returned as they were having to watch black and white films on their course. Can you imagine ?

I buy that. She doesn't have the polarized attitude about "those three" versus "the other three" that us older folk do. For us who obsess over Star Wars, the prequel vs OT debate is the centerpiece of nearly every thought about the subject. She would have been six when TPM came out, and 12 when the saga finally ended. She hasn't had a decade of time between Jedi and the Star Wars renaissance circa 1995 for the OT to become embedded as something legendary in her brain. She just sees them as six movies about fantastic adventures in space, and that's it.

You have to speak for yourself, though. I'm 34 too (born 1977), and while I love the old STAR WARSes, I like the new ones too (despite the occasional flaw). So it's not just an age issue. Not ALL STAR WARS fans of my/our age feel the prequels are shite.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

~*~

I'm not rolling my eyes at your admiration for the prequel trilogy. I'm just glad that affliction isn't contagious.

No, I'm rolling my eyes at your inability to understand my argument and your belief that I came here to bash the prequels. I didn't. You see the saga as two distinct storylines, one old and one new, and you like both. Great.

I see the saga as two distinct storylines that don't mesh together at all, one old and one new, and I don't much care for the newer one. That's my problem.

But the rest of the world sees the saga as six movies, and the lines blur between the tales told in 1977 and 1999. This shouldn't be a surprise; this is the way George wants it. This little girl that Quint works with falls in that camp.

Wojo is EXACTLY right in both of his posts.

Was she hot?

Lets just say she makes Monday's very enjoyable. She's a very pleasant girl to work with.

Lee - who was actually reminded today that he's in fact 34, and not 35.

You must feel relieved and joyful, you just won a year!

You have to speak for yourself, though. I'm 34 too (born 1977), and while I love the old STAR WARSes, I like the new ones too (despite the occasional flaw). So it's not just an age issue. Not ALL STAR WARS fans of my/our age feel the prequels are shite.

Yes, but you like them because it makes you feel unique. I admit it's tempting for me to do the same but I just can't. I find other ways to be unique.

Alex

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

~*~

I'm not rolling my eyes at your admiration for the prequel trilogy. I'm just glad that affliction isn't contagious.

No, I'm rolling my eyes at your inability to understand my argument and your belief that I came here to bash the prequels. I didn't. You see the saga as two distinct storylines, one old and one new, and you like both. Great.

Actually, both of those points are wrong. I don't believe you came here to bash the prequels. I just reacted to you speaking for 'all of us', as if everyone our age that have a strong relationship to the original trilogy, somehow also automatically dislike the prequels. That's not the case for me (and it has nothing to do with being 'unique', by the way, it's just honestly how I feel).

Second, I don't really see it as two storylines. I see it as one storyline. But the style and approach are obviously different in the first three and last three installments, as they're made 20 years apart.

So yes....believe it or not, but there are actually STAR WARS fans in the 30+ age group that like the prequels too!

Well, Wojo, you said "She doesn't have the polarized attitude about "those three" versus "the other three" that us older folk do. For us who obsess over Star Wars, the prequel vs OT debate is the centerpiece of nearly every thought about the subject."

I'm among those 'older folks', but I have no polarized attitude. Nor is the prequel vs. OT debate the 'centerpiece of nearly every thought about the subject' for me. So one has to be a bit careful with the generalizations.

You must feel relieved and joyful, you just won a year!

Do you ever do that - forget your age, I mean? I'm bloody terrible for it lately! Honestly for the past month or so I've literally been thinking I was a year older than I am. Thank god for Star Wars.

I'm kinda with Miguel here. how can you "love" Star Wars but not know about the OT?

on the other hand. My girlfriend loved the movie Titanic in 1997 but never knew it was in fact based upon a true story.

Also, women do not tend to get obsessed by movies as much as guys do. Unless it's twilight. And then only for the emotional stuff.

Nerds never know how to put themselves in the shoes of non-nerds.

Which is strange because non-nerds typically used to put nerds into lockers. Thing is, most nerds deserve it.

I certainly did.

So how should i feel old or young?

I'm 28, and today i learnt that my tutor at the university, who is a 65 year old doctor in veterinary has gone to watch TPM in 3D before me! (im going to this week)

and it just premiered 10 days ago!

Man, i'm losing my SW fandom (YEEEEEEEEEEPEEEE!)

Speaking of which, I take it that since, despite multiple mentions of him in this thread, Mark has not shown his face, he really isn't continuing to lurk like I assumed he was.

Either that or has excellent self-control as continues to lurk without commenting.