John Williams Hollywood Bowl Concert September 1st, 2012

scallenger

http://www.hollywoodbowl.com/tickets/performance-detail.cfm?id=4880

Tickets for 5 or more go on sale March 13th. Single tickets start in May.

I have never been to a live orchestra concert of any kind, except for high school band, heh. I MUST finally have my first orchestral concert experience, and who better than John Williams? I really can't wait. Anyone want to meet up with me?

• 1 month later...

Just ordered airplane tickets! I'm coming over for the concert -- my first ever John Williams concert -- and the FSM gathering that also takes place this weekend.

Maybe I could use the opportunity to meet some of you JWFANers too?

Yeah, let's gather up more! And my initial post was a bit wrong: you can't order tickets at all until May 5 unless you are ordering tickets for 5 DIFFERENT concerts. Not 5 tickets for the same concert. So damn. lol. I am hoping to get a good seat, I plan to order the day it goes on sale.

Yeah, let's gather up more! And my initial post was a bit wrong: you can't order tickets at all until May 5 unless you are ordering tickets for 5 DIFFERENT concerts. Not 5 tickets for the same concert. So damn. lol. I am hoping to get a good seat, I plan to order the day it goes on sale.

As will I, if I don't get press accreditation.

The box seating directly in front of the stage all go out to subscribers (which have been able to order for a while now, so they will all be sold out), so 'regular folks' like us would have to suffice with the stairs on the sides as the best option. They go for $80, from what I've heard.

I wanted to ask....even if most of you apparently aren't coming to this, how many live in or close to LA? One could always meet up, even if one isn't going to the concert.

I would LOVE to come to LA for this concert as well as the FSM film score fans meetup, but unfortunately my year camping trip with my friends, which normally takes play in mid-August but is pushed back this year due to 2 of them getting married, is now happening this weekend :(

You're going camping with a married couple? Does that officially make you a third wheel? ;)

Ah nevermind, I see those are just some of the participants.

I wanted to ask....even if most of you apparently aren't coming to this, how many live in or close to LA? One could always meet up, even if one isn't going to the concert.

Well, I live 3 hours from LA, and actually plan on going to Universal Studios either the day before or day after the concert (most likely the day after), so I'll even be spending one night somewhere down there.

You're going camping with a married couple? Does that officially make you a third wheel? ;)

Ah nevermind, I see those are just some of the participants.

Yea there is a group of 10 of us that have been going camping together every year for 11 years now

• 3 weeks later...

I'm struggling to find cheap accomodation in the Hollywood area, but I found a service called AIRBNB which actually offers reasonable apartments for rent. It's a bit expensive if you're a single person like me, but quite cheap if you're TWO.

But from what I've understood in this thread, scallenger is the only one coming, and he will be commuting back and forth (since he lives only 3 hours away)? So no one to share with?

• 2 weeks later...

You're able to buy the actual concert tickets now? I thought it wasn't until 2 days from now?

I bought group tickets with 11 other people from FSM. It's possible to order those in advance.

Let me know which seat(s) you're able to come up with tomorrow.

We're the only two from JWFAN coming to this event, so it would be nice to say hello while we're there. :)

• 3 months later...

Have a great time attending the Hollywood Bowl concert guys! :)

P.S. Bring back some reports will you, for those of us who are not lucky enough to go!

OK, I'm off to LaLaLand tomorrow (a gruelling 17-hour flight awaits!). I'm all jazzed up, esp. for the concert on Saturday. I've never even been to the US before, nor seen Williams live.

have fun thor! I'm jealous.

btw, listening to your interview with johan söderqvist as we speak! :thumbup:

OK, I'm off to LaLaLand tomorrow (a gruelling 17-hour flight awaits!). I'm all jazzed up, esp. for the concert on Saturday. I've never even been to the US before, nor seen Williams live.

have fun thor! I'm jealous.

btw, listening to your interview with johan söderqvist as we speak! :thumbup:

Thanks! Yeah, the interview is tailormade for people like you, Alice -- film music interested people who understand both Norwegian and Swedish perfectly! :)

Do you guys know about rehearsal? I can give you more info if you want. It's a great way to see JW conduct for free and, if you're lucky, meet him in person.

No, I'm not sure about how you get to these rehearsal thingies. I tried to get a backstage pass to say hello to him, but that was out of the question, they said. I haven't even gotten the press accreditation for the concert, which is the first time for us. LA venues are kinda hopeless that way -- extremely protective of their celebrities, and you won't get access unless you're some big shot.

I wish I was going to this. I can't believe our yearly camping trip got pushed to this weekend. Stupid weddings :P

You can to the Bowl during a rehearsal, which is usually the morning of the first concert (but call to make sure). When I was there a giant screen was pulled down that blocked JW from view, and you couldn't hear what he was saying, but it was still cool. Around the back there's a (I think it's called) "guest artist entry" or something, and near it is a rail. If you wait behind the rail sometime JW exits from there and signs autographs, takes pictures, etc. I've done the rehearsal thing twice and he didn't meet with the fans either time (the second time he didn't even leave from that exit point). But he has in the past so it might be worth it.

According to the programme notes on the Bowl website, JW will conduct the whole E.T. final 15 minutes live to picture.

You're in for a rare treat, guys.

OH!?!?! I'll be there! I was hoping with all my might that that would happen. YES!! :john:

Marion's theme was beautifully played.

The violinist, Gil (something) was amazing, and he played 3 songs, I don't know what they are. The first sounded a bit..a latin in a way, the second was Jewish (had an insert of the theme from Schindler's list), and the last one was REALLY Jewish ( I don't know how to explain), and a passerby told me it was from Fiddler on the Roof.

Anyone know what the first encore was? I should've bought a program .:/

First encore was Luke and Leia. the "Jewish" piece was Remembrances from Schindler's List. And yes, the last violin piece was a medley from Fiddler on the Roof that JW arranged.

The first song with the solo violonist was "Por Una Cabeza" (from Scent of a Woman)

Never fear, I've got the set list! What an AMAZING night. Be on the look out for my FULL REVIEW (complete with videos) coming within the next few days!

John Williams : Maestro of the Movies

A Salute to the Olympic Games

Bugler's Dream/Olympic Fanfare Theme

Song for World Peace

The Olympic Spirit

"Dartmoor 1912" from War Horse

"The Duel" ("The Adventures Continue") from The Adventures of Tintin

Presenting Gil Shaham

"Por Una Cabeza" (from Scent of a Woman)

"Remembrances" from Schindler's List

Excerpts from Fiddler on the Roof

ENCORE: Theme from Laura (Not listed on the program)

INTERMISSION

Superman March

Marion's Theme from Raiders of the Lost Ark

Three Selections for Chorus and Orchestra

Call of the Champions

"Dry Your Tears, Afrika" from Amistad

"Duel of the Fates" from Star Wars Episode 1 : The Phantom Menace

Cal State University Singers

Finale from E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

ENCORE

Luke and Leia from Star Episode 6 : Return of the Jedi

Main Title from Star Wars

The Imperial March from Star Wars Episode 5 : The Empire Strikes Back

Wow that looks like an amazin lineup! I am really looking forward to reading reports of this concert! :)

Luke & Leia? Not something I would expect.

Actually he performs it quite frequently as an encore. I remember he presented it also with the CSO at the concerts in 2005. The horn solo at the beginning was played gorgeously by Principal Horn Dale Clevenger.

The first song with the solo violonist was "Por Una Cabeza" (from Scent of a Woman)

Never fear, I've got the set list! What an AMAZING night. Be on the look out for my FULL REVIEW (complete with videos) coming within the next few days!

John Williams : Maestro of the Movies

A Salute to the Olympic Games

Bugler's Dream/Olympic Fanfare Theme

Song for World Peace

The Olympic Spirit

"Dartmoor 1912" from War Horse

"The Duel" ("The Adventures Continue") from The Adventures of Tintin

Presenting Gil Shaham

"Por Una Cabeza" (from Scent of a Woman)

"Remembrances" from Schindler's List

Excerpts from Fiddler on the Roof

ENCORE: Theme from Laura (Not listed on the program)

INTERMISSION

Superman March

Marion's Theme from Raiders of the Lost Ark

Three Selections for Chorus and Orchestra

Call of the Champions

"Dry Your Tears, Afrika" from Amistad

"Duel of the Fates" from Star Wars Episode 1 : The Phantom Menace

Cal State University Singers

Finale from E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial

ENCORE

Luke and Leia from Star Episode 6 : Return of the Jedi

Main Title from Star Wars

The Imperial March from Star Wars Episode 5 : The Empire Strikes Back

Thanks a lot! Looks like a great concert, but of course that's always the case with John Williams on the podium!!

This concert just made my year! I can't tell you how excited I was to be there, especially for E.T. and the new arrangement of Marion's Theme! The only thing that would have put me even further over the top is if he would have Encore'd with Parade of the Slave Children! The Encores were great though. Gil Shaham was killer, and I was very appreciative to hear so much Olympic music, especially Call of the Champions! (My sister was jealous!)

...and the new arrangement of Marion's Theme!

That's interesting, was it a completely new arrangement? or the "marion's theme/crate' from the sound track?

The only thing that would have put me even further over the top is if he would have Encore'd with Parade of the Slave Children!

Another Slave Children Crusade lover? Man, that's my favorite theme/song ever! I would love to hear that in concert, I wonder if he's every played it. I periodically search youtube, but have never seen a hollywood bowl play it. That would definitely be awesome!

That's interesting, was it a completely new arrangement? or the "marion's theme/crate' from the sound track?

Yes.

song

Cue/Track/Piece.

Cue.

As far as I can understand it from the comments people are really refering to the new proper concert arrangement of Marion's Theme Williams composed at Steven Spielberg's urging in 2008 for Boston Pops concerts that more or less coincided with the release of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. He also composed a full length concert arrangement of Irina's Theme, which was performed in the same concerts.

I believe people are refering to the new proper concert arrangement of Marion's Theme Williams composed on Steven Spielberg's urging in 2008 for Boston Pops concerts that more or less coincided with the release of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. He also composed a full length concert arrangement of Irina's Theme, which was performed in the same concerts.

Ah. I haven't heard of those, and would love to hear Marion's theme 'proper'. Are those available for download (itunes/amazon, etc?) or on a CD?

Alas neither concert version has been released officially anywhere, not on CD or as a download. Here is a live recording of the Marion's Theme from 2008 performed by Boston Pops at Tanglewood:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4wVcgW3yQE