La-La Land Records' HOOK (2CD Expanded) Anticipation thread

Jay

Alright, I am breaking my pledge of silence to calm you people down and restore some sanity to this thread.

The only thing missing from this set is some source music and some alternate versions of some cues, and those decisions seem to have been made by Williams himself.

People in this thread are freaking out over nothing. It's a fantastic release.

Now can we wait until the track list gets posted to discuss what is and isn't on it instead of jumping to conclusions?

Thanks for breaking your pledge and calming us down. For the record, when we get the CD and we're all enjoying it, could you tell us what's been dropped? Just for the record?

When LeBlanc says "Don't panic!", I feel like panicking even more.

You two are such supreme pals, aren't you.

And everybody panics sometimes. So do all who live to see such releases, but that is not for them to decide. All you have to decide is what to do with the music that is given to you. Even the very wise cannot see all ends. My heart tells me that Williams' decisions have some part to play, for good or ill, before this is over. The pity of Johnny may rule the fate of many.

La-La Land doesn't do pre-orders. At 1pm PST on Tuesday, March 27th, you'll be able to order it, and it will start shipping that day.

Just don't forget it because on March 28, HOOK will be history. Or not, maybe the demand isn't that high but i doubt it. Even i will order it and i order almost nothing that comes out these days (save for the odd tadlow or GREMLINS release).

Anybody here speak French? I know a bit, but not enough to decipher a questionable translation. What is the meaning of the word "ton" in the following passage? JWFan translates it as "tune," FreeTranslation.com translates it as "tune," but neither meanings seem quite right.

"Il a fait quelques suggestions, il a demandé que certains morceaux qui étaient répétitifs soient éliminés, il a exclu des morceaux qui n’étaient pas dans le ton comme Take Me Out To The Ballgame… Bref, il a recréé la bande sonore telle qu’on l’entend sur ce double disque."

Could someone provide a more accurate translation? The one I posted on the main page is based on Google's translator.

"He made a few suggestions. He asked that certain pieces that were repetitive be eliminated, and he excluded some pieces that didn't fit with the rest of the score like Take Me out to the Ball Game. In short, he re-created the soundtrack as we hear it on this double disk."

ton doesn't mean "in tune", it means "fitting with the rest"

Of course he hasn't.

There was a short interview either on Ricard's site or another one years and years ago were Williams commented on the Rhino Superman release. I wonder if that is still around somewhere.

He said something about that a complete score release are only interesting for hard core film music fans. stating that his Superman OST sold far more copies then the Rhino 2 CD set did.

When Williams cuts his album, he does so with the average listener in mind, not completists.

He's always considered the score in the film and the score on album as 2 different things (that's why orchestrators are credited in the film, but hardly ever on his OST albums).

the people buying LaLaLand c.d's are 95% complete hard core collectors. Not "average listeners", so Williams way of thinking doesn't apply to Label releases

I am not the least bit worried if they want to present the complete score without alternates. Many of the Williams releases from Varese have been like that and I have been perfectly happy with them. I think the main thing is to have the complete score from the film. Everything else is extra and optional.

Not a huge "alternates whore" myself. Im usually only interested if the alternate is hugely different. Like Binary Sunset, or the alternate The Enterprise.

Well those are the most interesting ones usually, musically speaking, showing a completely different approach which sometimes is as good as the final one if not better in some instances. From film point of view they show how the process changed the way the scene was approached by the composer and what was emphasized. While they can be interesting they are a bonus and extra on any release. As I said I am perfectly happy with many of the Williams complete releases that do not have them.

Anybody here speak French? I know a bit, but not enough to decipher a questionable translation. What is the meaning of the word "ton" in the following passage? JWFan translates it as "tune," FreeTranslation.com translates it as "tune," but neither meanings seem quite right.

"Il a fait quelques suggestions, il a demandé que certains morceaux qui étaient répétitifs soient éliminés, il a exclu des morceaux qui n’étaient pas dans le ton comme Take Me Out To The Ballgame… Bref, il a recréé la bande sonore telle qu’on l’entend sur ce double disque."

Could someone provide a more accurate translation? The one I posted on the main page is based on Google's translator.

"He made a few suggestions. He asked that certain pieces that were repetitive be eliminated, and he excluded some pieces that didn't fit with the rest of the score like Take Me out to the Ball Game. In short, he re-created the soundtrack as we hear it on this double disk."

Thanks!

Thanks!

indy4 - who didn't realize that Ricard posted the exact some thing right above me until now

It's true that Hook does not have a wide variety of "vasty different" alternates. In fact here is a list of all the alternates I know about

1. 1m4 Yuppie Sounds (aka "Banning Back Home")

We have the Album Version on the OST and to date the Film Version has not been leaked, and all DVD rips are covered in sound effects. The Album Version doesn't have too much material the film version doesn't, but the film version is considerably longer than the album version. This one would be nice to have.

2. 4m3 Looney Wendy part 1 (aka "Wendy Tells Peter The Truth" or "No More Happy Thoughts")

Here is about the only case where the alternate is QUITE different! The original version, which is quite darker, can be heard in the pre-Concorde bootleg in I-10 No More Happy Thoughts from 0:58-end, or in Concorde bootleg in I-10 Wendy Tells Peter The Truth from 0:00-1:03. The revised version that is happier and very similar to other Granny Wendy material and was used in the film can be heard on the pre-Concorde bootleg as I-07 Granny Wendy III or on the Concorde bootleg in II-06 Wendy Tells Peter The Truth (Final Film Version) from 0:00-1:03.

3. 4m4 The Arrival Of Tink

As mentioned in my prior post the original version is pre-Concorde boot (I-12The Appearance of Tink). The version with the revised celeste Insert added can be heard in the film and on the OST (track 6 from 0:00-3:27, with the insert specifically appearing from 1:53-2:29). Since the revised celeste performance is superior in every way, who cares about the original one.

4. 4m5/5m1 I Don't Believe In Fairies (aka "The Flight To Neverland")

The full original cue as written appears on the OST (track 6 from 3:27-end). The revised ending as heard in the film can be heard on the Pre-Concorde boot as I-15 Flight To Neverland III or on the Concorde boot in II-07 Flight To Neverland (Second Unused Version), where it appears from 4:46-end.

5. 5m2 Arrival At Neverland

The original version Williams wrote is not that different from the revised version, which can be heard on the OST in track 7 Presenting The Hook from 0:00-1:22. The original version is just shorter, missing the revised version's opening and ending, so we're not really missing anything here at all by not having it.

6. 5m5 Show Us Your Hook

The "Show Us You Hook!" and "Give Us The Hook!" chants heard in the film were recorded by Williams. They can easily be ripped clean from the DVD.

7. 7m5 The Lost Boys Ballet (aka "The Lost Boys Chase")

The extra drums heard in the film have not appeared on any bootleg, and can't be ripped from the DVD cleanly. No big deal here though.

8. 7m6/8m1 The Face Of Pan

The original version with choir is available on both the pre-Concorde (I-28 There You Are) and Concorde (I-18 You Are Peter) boots, while the version that has the choir dialed out appears in the film and appeared on the OST (track 14 You Are The Pan from 1:21-end).

9. 9m4 Cornucopia (aka "The Never-Feast")

The version Williams originally wrote appears on the OST in track 12 from 0:00-2:57. Williams later wrote and recorded an Insert that was used in the film and can be heard in the pre-Concorde boot in I-35 Neverfeast from 1:11-2:12, and in the Concorde boot in II-09 The Never-Feast (Second Unused Long Version) from 1:09-2:08. I think It can also be ripped completely clean from the DVD.

10. 13m2 To War!!

11. 13m3 Crossed Swords

The OST track ("The Ultimate War") represents what Williams originally wrote and recorded. Each of these cues has a VERY brief Insert heard in the film, and neither have ever leaked. Personally I've always preferred Williams original version to the version with the Inserts, I think it flows better.

9. 9m4 Cornucopia (aka "The Never-Feast")

The version Williams originally wrote appears on the OST in track 12 from 0:00-2:57. Williams later wrote and recorded an Insert that was used in the film and can be heard in the pre-Concorde boot in I-35 Neverfeast from 1:11-2:12, and in the Concorde boot in II-09 The Never-Feast (Second Unused Long Version) from 1:09-2:08. I think it can also be ripped completely clean from the DVD.

not really clean. There's some volumes dips and it still generally sounds like shit if you rip it from the DVD. However, that insert is perfect sounding on the Concorde Boot Second Long Unused Version

By "clean" I meant no sound effects. Obviously volume dips can be corrected in an audio-editing program.

I'm sure a Blu Ray Rip would sound perfect, but I haven't done one yet.

Alright, I am breaking my pledge of silence to calm you people down and restore some sanity to this thread.

The only thing missing from this set is some source music and some alternate versions of some cues, and those decisions seem to have been made by Williams himself.

People in this thread are freaking out over nothing. It's a fantastic release.

Now can we wait until the track list gets posted to discuss what is and isn't on it instead of jumping to conclusions?

Thank you for speaking up. I figured most everyone here in this thread was making a big deal over nothing.

Not a huge "alternates whore" myself. Im usually only interested if the alternate is hugely different. Like Binary Sunset, or the alternate The Enterprise.

I'm not a huge alternate whore either. Even though some of the alternates for Independence Day and Back To The Future were cool to hear, I didn't bother including them on my iPod.

Not really clean. There's some volumes dips and it still generally sounds like shit if you rip it from the DVD. However, that insert is perfect sounding on the Concorde Boot Second Long Unused Version

There's volume dips if you use the RL and RR channels. The FL and FR channels for the most part have the insert relatively clean and it's not that hard to adjust portions if there are volume dips for those channels.

That works, but just make sure you don't grab the entire track from the Concorde CD as they wedged in When You're Alone as well as a cue from another part of the movie at the end of it.

Do we still want to "grab" anything after the LLL set has been released? ;)

That works, but just make sure you don't grab the entire track from the Concorde CD as they wedged in When You're Alone as well as a cue from another part of the movie at the end of it.

well obviously, but just use the insert to edit it into the OST track

I mean, really!

I believe the word you are searching Stefan is

WRONG

No, jason was not wrong. Just being stupid.

I would say they were preparing for the eventuality these inserts were left off the release. Which is kind of business as usual.

Excellent work Jason! A great interview! I found it funny that Mr. Deutsch was expecting something more vibrant from the score. I can't imagine a score more full of joy and life than Hook.

BTW, those 2 images are from the liner notes with amazing art direction by Jim Titus. That guy is the best, I can't wait till everyone gets to see the whole booklet. He really classes up anything he gets to work on immensely.

BTW, those 2 images are from the liner notes with amazing art direction by Jim Titus. That guy is the best, I can't wait till everyone gets to see the whole booklet. He really classes up anything he gets to work on immensely.

True. His work on those LLL releases has been just wonderful. :) I can't wait to see the booklet and CD art.

I don't think anybody knows which version of "Banning Back Home" was written/recorded first. Either:

1. The film version was recorded specifically for the film, and the album version was recorded specifically for the album

or

2. Williams first scored one version to an earlier, shorter cut of that sequence, then later re-recorded the entire cue in expanded form when the sequence was lengthened, and they happened to go with the original version for the OST CD.

The answer may be lost to time. Not all records always survive 20 years time!

My last sentence was meant to imply that paperwork may be lost. Obviously the music remains as ANYTHING heard in the actual film survives via the film's music stem. Everything was just completely remastered for the Blu Ray don't forget.

As for your other question, when asked about which Previously Unreleased music was his favorite he responded by saying it was Banning Back Home, so....

yeah... but he didnt stated it completely :P

both versions 'are so different from the rest of the score'

BTW, thank god williams didnt put them in the same box as 'take me out..' ;)

The Film Version of Banning Back Home is one cue I am looking forward very much!! And I do fear, that Williams favoured the Album Version.. that Chord+Flute flourish when Peter catches the Cellphone.. always wanted to have that!!

I honestly never cared for Mark Banning's artwork. A good portion of it looks like bootleg material and not official releases.

I wish La-La Land would always use Jim Titus as like some of you I prefer his artwork over Mark Banning's any day.

Why do you guys still insist on calling it "Fortune And Glory"? We've known for years now its "3m2 The Child Returns"