La-La Land Records' HOOK (2CD Expanded) Anticipation thread

Jay

Anyone know in how many hours Hook can be ordered...? And is it possible to order through Screen Archives...? Thanks.

A little over 14 hours from now. :)

EDIT: Err, clarify: LLL posts their releases at 1 pm PST (there's a link to this information on the front page). Not sure when SAE will have it up, but they should within the next couple days, if not at the same time LLL does.

SECOND EDIT: 13? No... your eyes were tricking you. I AM ALWAYS RIGHT :P

Sold out! It is 14:49 pm, 27 March in Hong Kong. And it is now sold out here! In only 2 hours and 49 mins!

I am sure about that. Because I can't find it from Lalaland, SAE or moviemusic.com, not any more!

1 pm in California is 11pm in Helsinki so if I remember my time zones correctly it should be 9pm in London. You can always double check here: http://www.timeandda.../converter.html

1 pm in California is 11pm in Helsinki so if I remember my time zones correctly it should be 9pm in London. You can always double check here: http://www.timeandda.../converter.html

Okay thanks! (But for some reason I thought that "Hook" would go on sale on February 27 12:01 AM in California...

But that's close enough for me. One or two hours won't make a difference... I hope.

So who's the best retailer for long-distance shipping? I don't mind paying a bit extra if it's better packaged and won't arrive cracked.

Back to that agian! :P

Somebody (not me!) should make a poll, on whether the HOOK case came cracked or not.

It will be 8 pm in London.

So who's the best retailer for long-distance shipping? I don't mind paying a bit extra if it's better packaged and won't arrive cracked.

Well I remembered incorrectly the time difference then. Blast you time zones! Next time... next time...

But SAE is a very reliable retailer. I have gotten all my packages very fast and undamaged from them (knock on wood).

The official announcement was just sent out via e-mail:

HOOK: LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET) LLLCD 1211

Music by John Williams

Limited Edition of 5000 Units

ORDER "HOOK: LIMITED EDITION" on March 27 (1pm PST) at www.lalalandrecords.com

STARTS SHIPPING MARCH 27

RETAIL PRICE $29.98

La-La Land Records and Sony Music presents the world premiere release of the first official remastered and expanded edition of renowned composer John Williams's (JAWS, STAR WARS, SCHINDLER'S LIST) original score to the 1991 Tri-Star Pictures' adventure/fantasy epic HOOK, directed by Steven Speilberg. Long considered one of the maestro's best scores in collaboration with Mr. Spielberg, this masterwork is finally presented here in a worthy 2-CD release that contains more than 140 mins of music, including bonus alternate and unused cues, greatly expanding the score's original 1991 album assembly with more than 65 minutes of music previously unreleased in any official format. Produced by Didier C. Deutsch and Mark G. Wilder, mastered by Mark G. Wilder and Maria Triana and supervised and approved by John Williams, this expanded reissue features amazing art design by Jim Titus and exclusive, in-depth liners from film music writer Daniel Schweiger. It's an amazing soundtrack experience that will have you never wanting to grow up!

This album assembly was supervised by John Williams and the completed project approved by both John Williams and Steven Spielberg.

TRACK LISTING:

DISC 1

1 Prologue 1:30

2 We Don't Wanna Grow Up + 1:50

3 Banning Back Home 2:25

4 Granny Wendy 2:57

5 The Bedroom* 1:07

6 The Nursery* 1:38

7 The Watch* :56

8 Hook-Napped 3:56

9 A Portrait Of Wendy* 1:06

10 The Arrival Of Tink/The Flight To Neverland** 6:03

11 Presenting The Hook 3:01

12 Pirates!* 2:41

13 Hook Challenges Peter* 7:50

14 From Mermaids To Lost Boys** 5:13

15 The Lost Boy Chase 3:32

16 Smee's Plan** 3:25

17 Pan Is Challenged* 1:20

18 Hook's Lesson* 3:08

19 The Banquet 3:10

20 The Never-Feast 4:41

21 Hook's Madness* 4:00

22 Follow That Shadow* 2:38

DISC 1 TIME: 68:18

DISC 2

1 Remembering Childhood 11:04

2 You Are The Pan** 4:03

3 When You're Alone+ 3:16

4 Tink Grows Up* 2:20

5 The Ultimate War: To War** 9:45

6 The Ultimate War: The Death Of Rufio* 2:36

7 The Ultimate War: Sword Fight* 5:32

8 Farewell Neverland** 11:15

9 End Credits** 6:08

Bonus Tracks:

10 Prologue (alternate)* 1:35

11 Banning Back Home (film version)* 3:14

12 Presenting The Hook (film version–extended)** 4:03

13 Hook's Blues* 2:17

14 Wendy Tells Peter The Truth (partly unused)* 2:24

15 Exit Music (unused) * 1:42

DISC 2 TIME: 72:17

TOTAL ALBUM TIME: 140:35

+Lyrics by Leslie Bricusse

* Previously unreleased

** Contains previously unreleased material

I guess this is the film version.

And you'll observe that there's no alternate version of this track listed -- so completists, hang on to your copies of the old Epic Soundtrax album! :)

And you'll observe that there's no alternate version of this track listed -- so completists, hang on to your copies of the old Epic Soundtrax album! :)

Anybody really stupid enough to throw away their original Epic album just because this one came out? :P

I guess this is the film version.

It better be.

But this all looks good. :) All the music seems to be there. Williams obviously wanted to retain some album edits though. This is obvious from the Remembering Childhood. But they also included the missing middle section Follow That Shadow. Excellent!

I am guessing You Are the Pan contains the choir mix of the Face of Pan music and thus is marked contains previously unreleased music.

So, what is missing now that we've got the track list?

some observations:

-i thought in other releases they kept the original cue names, here they didn't.

-You are the pan: again the 2 cues together and not seperately in chronological order..

-the entrance of rufio is missing or is part of "from mermaids to lost boys"?

-Missing the end of hook cue?

Neat!

It looks a bit like the expanded Indy--they left some of the album versions intact ("Remembering Childhood") and presented the unreleased portion as a separate cue.

Looks like I'll soon have an edit job to do! :)

The Never-Feast appears to be the old album version.

Crap. Sorry to start the bitching already, but this was perhaps the expansion I was most looking forward to. :(

What could the Farewell Neverland unreleased music be? Does anybody have any idea?

Now I wonder what this is:

Could be the album version that is basically just pitched shifted and a bit slower than the actual piece.

Could be the album version that is basically just pitched shifted and a bit slower than the actual piece.

You serious? Why would they include something like that?

You serious? Why would they include something like that?

I am hoping I am wrong though. :)

To paraphrase Mr. Arnold from Jurassic Park on this release: It could have been worse John. A lot worse.

Oh and look, Banning Back Home Film Version is on the release! Wohoo!!!

Anyknow know what this is?

Exit Music (unused) * 1:42

It is an unused piece (heard on various bootlegs though) which I can only speculate to be the original ending of the End Credits or something similar. It contains a beautiful variation on the Neverland Theme. Comments Mr. Takis, Mr. LeBlanc, our resident experts? :)

Looks like it's not strictly chronological as well (not a huge problem, frankly).

In this day and age a minuscule inconvenience easily corrected.

Yes, it's Williams' intended end credits close. The original plan was to have "End Credit" (i.e. the Childhood orchestral variation) segued by "Lost Boy Ballet" with pick-up ending segued then by "Exit Music".

In this day and age a minuscule inconvenience easily corrected.

Indeed! If anything, it adds something to the score as a whole. "The vision of the composer," as it were. :)

The chronological order... that's really no big deal. You just watch the movie, there you have it!

Interesting to see Hook's Blues, referring to the scene where he tries to commit suicide, in the bonus material section. This could be the "repetetive material" Williams did not present in the listening experience. I am glad it still found its way into this set though.

And I wonder if Hook-Napped will be presented in the reversed order as on the OST.

All in all I have to say I am thrilled and can't wait to order and have this in my hands. :)

Interesting to see Hook's Blues, referring to the scene where he tries to commit suicide, in the bonus material section. This could be the "repetetive material" Williams did not present in the listening experience. I am glad it still found its way into this set though.

The length of SMEE'S PLAN suggests that it's paired with HOOK'S BLUES, while the alternate just is another version.

The alternate glockenspiel from ARRIVAL OF TINK (forgettable), the Disneyesque food insert and some music for deleted footage they alluded to in the interview.

Since this sucker is an overlong beast, anyway, nothing to be too worried about.

Some source music like Take Me Out To The Ballgame, and the Christmas carol in the beginning of the film.

Oh yeah, no source material! Huh. :|

Oh well.