La-La Land Records' HOOK (2CD Expanded) Anticipation thread

Jay

I thought I heard some of the volume level issues on the radio broadcast, but this will still be far superior to the DVD rips--not just the improved quality, but there are also instrumental details I had no idea were there, such as the percussion at the end of the sample for Ultimate War I (a nice touch of continuity from previous Lost Boys music).

Ya the audio dips are there but not near as distracting as they are in the film itself. It's pretty difficult to completely fix volume dips.

Oh my God! I love that new bit from the alternate "Prologue"! That sounds like it would fit wonderfully in an end credits suite, actually.

wow.. what's that short fanfare in Pirates? Is that when Smee "unfolds" the red carpet? Never noticed that music before..is that an alternate?

Good ears :)

ooh! Any other treats like this to be found?

Just the Alternate Prologue.... anything else you've either heard on the OST, the old boots, or the film itself.

am I the onlyone who notices some audioanomalities with the swordfight music? Or am I just soo used to the old DVD rip that I'm imagening things?? ..

It's very apparent when listening that the second half of the Ultimate War was taken from the music-only stem of the film itself. Since Matt Verboys and MV Gerhard said on Tim's radio show that they initially could not find the Ultimate War material when they found all the other master recordings, one can assume that they never did find them and had to resort to using the film stem as a last resort.

wow..for real? oh sorry, didn't listen to the show... so the ultimate war is lost? interesting -seems like it was lost for quiet some time now.. the original bootleg doesn't have it and that is said to originate from an AMPAS promo..

You can listen to his show here: http://soundcloud.co...-marigold-hotel

Looooove the "Exit Music"! :music:

It is pretty great isn't it. :)

I wonder why they didn't use it, though...

Could it be that this sounded a bit too much like a musical? Still, awesome, fantastic.

Beats me! We'll probably never know, Williams and Spielberg rarely get interviewed about these kinds of things.

am I the onlyone who notices some audioanomalities with the swordfight music? Or am I just soo used to the old DVD rip that I'm imagening things?? ..

It's very apparent when listening that the second half of the Ultimate War was taken from the music-only stem of the film itself. Since Matt Verboys and MV Gerhard said on Tim's radio show that they initially could not find the Ultimate War material when they found all the other master recordings, one can assume that they never did find them and had to resort to using the film stem as a last resort.

wow..for real? oh sorry, didn't listen to the show... so the ultimate war is lost? interesting -seems like it was lost for quiet some time now.. the original bootleg doesn't have it and that is said to originate from an AMPAS promo..

You can listen to his show here: http://soundcloud.co...-marigold-hotel

I'm just listening to this now and this is a fantastic interview!

The only thing that kind of caught me early on in the interview is how they mentioned that only Giacchino, Williams and other VG composers compose main themes and such. Gotta disagree there, but thats me being really picky! :)

What a GREAT release. It's fabulous that with all of these releases there are true gems to be found in addition to the music we all know from the movie. The alternate prologue sample for example is fabulous!

I wonder how the rest of the lyrics actually goes..?

It's a long scene with a lot of singers (Smee, pirates, barber, trollops) with different styles of music (exotic, rap, arabic ...) but the chorus is something like that:

Low below, where dead men go.

Low below, the time goes slow.

Low Below, youre bones'll show.

Near the grave of Davy Jones, Low below.

Hook ! Hook ! Hook !

"Hook ! Hook ! Hook ! Show us the hook" is the final part of the song when they arrive on the dock of the Jolly Roger.

Dunno if this was asked, didn't want to go through 10 pages but where in the film do each ultimate war parts start and end because on the site they have a clip for part 2 and it cuts off right before pan fly's up to hook (my favourite little bit from the score) and I imagined that would have all been in part 3 or the cue shown on the radio show wouldn't be the start of part 3 would it surely not?

Also whats the difference between the ultimate war film version vs recording session material?

So, can we expect the "End Credits" to feature the tracked bit? Is that why the track only contains previously unreleased music, instead of being entirely unreleased?

Thanks for the kind feedback regarding the interview. Glad you enjoyed it! A release such as this deserves the air-play and attention. Many of my fellow original JWFan gang have been waiting for this for SO long!

So anyway, when do the mass post deletions begin? All this jollity surely can't go by without some sort of decisive intervention!

Loving the Twin Peaks love!

What crummy luck. Somehow typical fate for film music. Preservation of these materials doesn't come as a priority in big companies apparently.

But couldn't it have happened to BANNING BACK HOME or WHEN YOU'RE ALONE or the mermaid music, though? :|

Still, ordered and thanks LLL.

Honestly, what are we to complain? So what, there's ten minutes or so of music missing, and one song, along with having to use film stems, oh well.

It could have been worse, guys.

Alot worse.

tumblr_lfyjh7seVw1qfsokbo1_400.gif

In the sample, Ultimate War II gets WAY too loud all of a sudden.

Have you not been reading? The unreleased segments from the "Ultimate War" are directly from the music only film stems. So that's why you sometimes hear volume dips and or music suddenly getting loud. It's not as distracting as in the film but it's still there.

Mine has shipped!

Pity about those film stems, though. I hope it won't be too noticeable (I refuse to listen to the samples beforehand for this release).

Okay, so to clarify, and sorry if I missed this, but this does indeed mean that the dialed out unused section of "The End of Hook" is truly lost, unless the tracks somehow turn up somewhere?

It's a long scene with a lot of singers (Smee, pirates, barber, trollops) with different styles of music (exotic, rap, arabic ...) but the chorus is something like that:

Hook ! Hook ! Hook !

"Hook ! Hook ! Hook ! Show us the hook" is the final part of the song when they arrive on the dock of the Jolly Roger.

WOW! Thanks for posting!!! Where did you find that out?

And when if your wonderful Hook website coming back online?

Hook ! Hook ! Hook !

WOW! Thanks for posting!!! Where did you find that out?

And when if your wonderful Hook website coming back online?

Those lyrics fit the music like a glove! Or the other way around, whatever...

Do you have any more, Hook? Let's try a wild guess...

Stick with me, stick with me

Stick with me!

If you stick with me then you will see

That if you stick with me...

I can't think a verse to finish it, though :P

Dunno if this was asked, didn't want to go through 10 pages but where in the film do each ultimate war parts start and end because on the site they have a clip for part 2 and it cuts off right before pan fly's up to hook (my favourite little bit from the score) and I imagined that would have all been in part 3 or the cue shown on the radio show wouldn't be the start of part 3 would it surely not?

I'm confused what you're asking. The Ultimate War is presented as a continuous 18 minute piece, just spread over 3 tracks for convenience. Does it make a huge difference where the track transitions are?

Also whats the difference between the ultimate war film version vs recording session material?

Well in the final film some of the cues suffered from tiny microedits and volume changes and a loop

I know what he's asking. He wants to know what's happening on screen when each of the three tracks begins. Anyone with the movie and a stop watch to check the track times can give the answer.

So, can we expect the "End Credits" to feature the tracked bit? Is that why the track only contains previously unreleased music, instead of being entirely unreleased?

Yep!

I was orders 48100 and 48043 and no shipping confirmations. I am DOOMED!!!

I can't wait for this to arrive!!!

Okay, so to clarify, and sorry if I missed this, but this does indeed mean that the dialed out unused section of "The End of Hook" is truly lost, unless the tracks somehow turn up somewhere?

All I was saying that when listening to the second half of the UW on the LLL set, it's clear it came from the film stems. And that MV and MV mentioned on Tim's show that when they began working on the project, the Ultimate War material couldn't be found. You can be a pessimist and say since it doesn't appear on the set is must be lost forever, or you can be an optimist and say while it wasn't found in time to include on the set, surely it's still out there somewhere and everyone will get to hear it eventually