La-La Land Records' HOOK (2CD Expanded) Anticipation thread

Jay

Jim Titus artworks are wonderful. I would have bought Home Alone almost solely because of his artwork if I wasn't a John Williams music adorer :)

Okay Star Trek V is a rare one from Mark Banning but I never cared for his covers for Independence Day.

I Like the ID4 cover, but then I prefer the 'Music composed by' bit and the name to be nice and big. It's a soundtrack album - the composer's credit should be clear as day, and not hidden away in the corner.

I'm a bit disappointed that Williams' involvement once again has resulted in cues being dropped, although at least the reasons are better than the crap Laurent was forced to say about the Indy box.

To those who argue that it's making a big deal out of nothing - some scores can attract with cues that are highlights only to you, for whatever reason. Now imagine your grail score was finally released, and that single cue you wanted was left off because the composer didn't feel it was important. Would you not be a little annoyed?

Even with the somewhat frightening prospect of Williams' involvement, I'm still beyond giddy for this release. Every day I have to stare at the calendar and wonder, "Is it Hook day yet? No? DAMMIT."

Baffles me how we are getting expanded scores on multiple CD's from many films, yet we still sit here waiting and hoping for the Star Wars material!

Baffles me how we are getting expanded scores on multiple CD's from many films, yet we still sit here waiting and hoping for the Star Wars material!

You should know the answer to that by now...

Steef did nail it but still...

Why do you guys still insist on calling it "Fortune And Glory"? We've known for years now its "3m2 The Child Returns"

Just coz it's the original title doesn't mean it's the best title.

Does anybody know who FSM user "drivingmissdaisy" is? Apparently he has already heard the new CD and read the liner notes and I have no idea who he is

One of the unreleased cues I'm most looking forward to is "The Stories are True", with the male choir. Hook just might feature Williams' best overall work with choirs.

Does anybody know who FSM user "drivingmissdaisy" is? Apparently he has already heard the new CD and read the liner notes and I have no idea who he is

Peter Hackman. He's organized the yearly Fans of Film Music gatherings in L.A. since the FSM gatherings stopped, big autograph collector, went to the Oscars, and has gotten buddy-buddy with a lot of people in the industry. Genuinely good guy, I dealt with him once before he really became "big" in the community.

One of the unreleased cues I'm most looking forward to is "The Stories are True", with the male choir. Hook just might feature Williams' best overall work with choirs.

wait ,that's the one Williams removed from this release

9. 9m4 Cornucopia (aka "The Never-Feast")

The version Williams originally wrote appears on the OST in track 12 from 0:00-2:57. Williams later wrote and recorded an Insert that was used in the film and can be heard in the pre-Concorde boot in I-35 Neverfeast from 1:11-2:12, and in the Concorde boot in II-09 The Never-Feast (Second Unused Long Version) from 1:09-2:08. I think it can also be ripped completely clean from the DVD.

I can't speak for the old DVD (which I used to have), but checking the blu-ray... not quite. You can hear a waterfall noise during that portion.

I hope that part's on the new CD. Won't break my heart, but it'd be nice.

Wow, I didn't even know Hook features an all male choir. I cannot wait to hear this stuff.

Well it is for one cue only but yes there it is. People have through the years commented how much the Pirate Theme sounds like the Emperor's Theme when it is sung by a male choir. But who cares, it's great music and an interesting choice for that scene in the film.

Let's hope The Face of Pan is released with choir this time. It certainly would have made the scene over the top in the film and was thus removed but I think it complements the piece wonderfully.

One funny Hook theme variation is from the scene where he is trying to commit a suicide and Williams captures Hook's melodramatic posturing and Smee's attempts to cheer him up all in his music. The music just oozes with grandiose and humorous self-pity.

The version Williams originally wrote appears on the OST in track 12 from 0:00-2:57. Williams later wrote and recorded an Insert that was used in the film and can be heard in the pre-Concorde boot in I-35 Neverfeast from 1:11-2:12, and in the Concorde boot in II-09 The Never-Feast (Second Unused Long Version) from 1:09-2:08. I think it can also be ripped completely clean from the DVD.

not really clean. There's some volumes dips and it still generally sounds like shit if you rip it from the DVD. However, that insert is perfect sounding on the Concorde Boot Second Long Unused Version

From what Jason said, it looks like the insert will be on LLL release. However it looks like several bars of this cue were edited out in the final cut (just before the kids start throwing food at each other), so I wonder how the cue will be presented.

so frustrated that the release doesn't have the complete score.....

Jason said it will. Just not the alternates and what-not.

well yes, by complete score i meant all the score that was written for the film with the alternates and all...

Yeah, it's not going to be that complete, no. If I can just get the score as in the film (probably also unused sections will be restored) then I'll be pretty a happy camper.

I can't be anything but a happy camper! The sheer fact we are getting more music from Hook then we had before is in of itself a miracle! With all the names involved on this one it can't be anything but an awesome release!

edited because spelling on an iPhone is hard!

I can't speak for the old DVD (which I used to have), but checking the blu-ray... not quite. You can hear a waterfall noise during that portion.

I hope that part's on the new CD. Won't break my heart, but it'd be nice.

Oh really? Dang, I thought it was completely clean.... guess I remembered wrong.

Wow, I didn't even know Hook features an all male choir. I cannot wait to hear this stuff.

Are you serious? You've NEVER heard the Concorde bootleg CD??

well yes, by complete score i meant all the score that was written for the film with the alternates and all...

Take up your issues with John Williams himself, and not anyone at La-La Land.

I can't be anything but a happy camper the fact we are getting more music from Hook the we had before is in of itself a great thing! With all e names involved on this one it can't be anything but an awesome release!

Finally a voice of reason!

I am happy that they didn't release a 3-CD Set with the Epic cd as frisbee, like FIRST KNIGHT or STAR TREK V. For whatever anal reason, i hate to have the same music twice.