La-La Land Records' HOOK (2CD Expanded) Anticipation thread

Jay

I'm confused what you're asking. The Ultimate War is presented as a continuous 18 minute piece, just spread over 3 tracks for convenience. Does it make a huge difference where the track transitions are?

What I meant simply was - where does part 3 of ultimate war start if part 2 is already the start hook vs. pan swordfight? And does the first part have the missing bit from the OST when pan first appears?

The LLL set retains Williams original intentions for the start of the Ultimate War, which is also what we got on the OST. The two short inserts he later had to record when the film got re-edited are not included, probably at his request

The LLL set retains Williams original intentions for the start of the Ultimate War, which is also what we got on the OST. The two short inserts he later had to record when the film got re-edited are not included, probably at his request

Yeah fair enough but that bit is on the bootlegs and to answer my other question the La La Land site's sample for death of rufio is actually the sample from swordfight as I just listened to the sample's on this site and I'd love to thank whoever put the sample of swordfight on this site - my favourite bit from the whole score!!

Neither the pre-Concorde boot or the Concorde boot had the Ultimate War inserts actuallly, so if you heard them on a fan edit they were ripped from the DVD or Blu Ray. The recording sessions of the Inserts have never leaked.

As for that bit of the swordfight music, that's one of my favorite bits too ;)

Neither the pre-Concorde boot or the Concorde boot had the Ultimate War inserts actuallly, so if you heard them on a fan edit they were ripped from the DVD or Blu Ray. The recording sessions of the Inserts have never leaked.

As for that bit of the swordfight music, that's one of my favorite bits too ;)

Oh ok well the rip then I got sounds pretty good and what are the other inserts from ultimate war?

I wonder how the rest of the lyrics actually goes..?

It's a long scene with a lot of singers (Smee, pirates, barber, trollops) with different styles of music (exotic, rap, arabic ...) but the chorus is something like that:

Low below, where dead men go.

Low below, the time goes slow.

Low Below, youre bones'll show.

Near the grave of Davy Jones, Low below.

Hook ! Hook ! Hook !

"Hook ! Hook ! Hook ! Show us the hook" is the final part of the song when they arrive on the dock of the Jolly Roger.

WOW! Thanks for posting!!! Where did you find that out?

And when if your wonderful Hook website coming back online?

I got lyrics in the final version of the script (6/12/1991) (autographed by Robin Williams). It's a book offered to the crew after the filming.

It's a bible for all information about deleted scenes / and for Hook fans.

(I have an other source for lyrics, some pages of a script used in the filming (with fingerprints of makeup ^^) with some variations and some technical information.

I don't have information about Stick with me.

It's not easy to make something on Hook, information are really rare. I spent a lot of time to accumulate all information i have.

I don't have all the time i want to work on my website. I prepare an update for these 2-3 next weeks (Normally i'll post 2 important "making of" - 45 minutes and an other of 35 minutes from french television - very low quality - and a serie of scans of merchandising stuffs) and i'll try to post some information about deleted scenes.

I am happy to have ordered & have a shipping notice. Shouldn't there be a separate thread for complaining about this release? I can avoid all the complaining that way.

I don't understand why so many people are complaining about this release. We're missing about only 10 min right? 10 vs the extra hour we're getting? I'm personally seriously psyched for this release!

I can understand the complaints to a degree since this is music many people here love so dearly and have waited for its release for so long. Some of the unreleased music is very much ingrained into our heads and the chance of getting it, inserts and all, set those hopes very high. Film music fans in general are sticklers for detail so there was no surprise that this set, not entirely complete, received criticism. But I personally can live with the tiny omissions since we are now getting such a brilliant release, created with utmost respect to the music and the composer. I can't wait to listen to this! :)

LLL has really done a huge job on this over the last 3 years. Kudos to the label and procuders and all involved for persistence and dedication.

I get that. But are these 10 minutes really so crucial that we have to keep complaining about it? It doesn't seem like we're missing much.

When you're in love with someone, you want all of him or her, nothing hidden, nothing withheld. Not having "just 10 minutes" of Hook is like saying it's OK for your spouse to sleep with someone else for "just 10 minutes" a day.

La La Land's refusal to release the remaining 10 minutes of Hook is offensive and wrong.

I'm not as worried about missing music, I'm just upset that there will be loops and weird volume shifts. Granted I have no idea how obvious it will be, so maybe it's nothing to worry about. But those could be very damaging to a listening experience.

Of course I can't fault LLL or Williams, as it seems like it wasn't a deliberate artistic decision (and even if it was, Williams has every right to present his music how he wants to). And I'm still super excited to get my hands on this release. I'm just slightly less excited than I was before hearing this news.

So what aside from 3 inserts and few pieces of source music not composed by Williams is actually missing from the set? And I am talking about the score, not song demos etc.

A lot of material that was recorded and never saw the light of day, and we'll probably never hear due to legal reasons.

So we are mourning music that is just a possibility and not anything from the film itself? Film music fanaticism has been taken another step further into the unknown depths of madness. Usually I am more anxious to hear the music from the film, not something possibly and potentially left on the recording stage floor. Such things might be a bonus, a nice surprise but certainly not the thing I focus when hoping for a complete release.

Williams is also pretty self conscious about his abilities to write vocal music, so he may have had something to do with the fact that we aren't getting to hear any unheard artifacts from the musical.

As I said before it is obvious LLL producers achieved some sort of compromise with Williams and we got some of the music seen redundant in the listening experience by the composer as bonus material when it could have been excised entirely. We are lucky in this respect. We got Banning Back Home, Arrival of Tink and Flight to Neverland, Presenting Hook etc. film/expanded versions when in a worst scenarion only album versions might have been presented.

Jason, is A Portrait of Wendy the film version of Wendy Tells Peter the Truth Part I? The revised version instead of the somewhat darker alternate?

He said it's the film version and the alternate is the dark version. While i don't care much for the missing stuff, i'm rather wary of the 2 duel pieces. I hope they will sound acceptable in full, the dropouts in the clips left me on a rather sour note.

I wish they'd given the option to pick it up. LaLa Land is barely four miles away from me in Burbank. I could easily pop over on my way home from work and pick it up rather than pay (and wait) to have them ship it down the street.

When Varese released '1941', they had an option for in-store pickup at their place in Hollywood. Saved me some bucks and I got it much quicker.

He said it's the film version and the alternate is the dark version. While i don't care much for the missing stuff, i'm rather wary of the 2 duel pieces. I hope they will sound acceptable in full, the dropouts in the clips left me on a rather sour note.

Yes that is what I am hoping as well.

I wish they'd given the option to pick it up. LaLa Land is barely four miles away from me in Burbank. I could easily pop over on my way home from work and pick it up rather than pay (and wait) to have them ship it down the street.

When Varese released '1941', they had an option for in-store pickup at their place in Hollywood. Saved me some bucks and I got it much quicker.

Ummm... LLL released 1941.

Yes that is what I am hoping as well.

Ummm... LLL released 1941.

Well something was released by Varese that I picked up there last fall.

Does nobody except me use MovieMusic? Anyway, just ordered Hook with them (less shipping cost to Europe).

I order all LLL releases direct from LLL, because they get more money that way and I want to support them as best I can.

OK, good point I hadn´t thought about. Next time :yes:

ordered. 48184 damn ihad to trek with the laptop about more than one kilometer in the night on a mountain road to find coberture for the internet usb modem to work. i spent half an hour trying... first the page was overloaded, then paypal didnt work well... finally got it at 1:40 pm... and damn this was selling fast didnt it?

um ultimate war film stems????? fcking damn.

shame the bootlegs cannot be discarded.

ordered. 48184 damn ihad to trek with the laptop about more than one kilometer in the night on a mountain road to find coberture for the internet usb modem to work. i spent half an hour trying... first the page was overloaded, then paypal didnt work well... finally got it at 1:40 pm...

Bwaaahahaha. ROTFLMAO

You're kidding, right?

ordered. 48184 damn ihad to trek with the laptop about more than one kilometer in the night on a mountain road to find coberture for the internet usb modem to work. i spent half an hour trying... first the page was overloaded, then paypal didnt work well... finally got it at 1:40 pm...

Bwaaahahaha. ROTFLMAO

You're kidding, right?

I think he is not. He seems to be living at the edge of civilization these days. :P

I wonder how the rest of the lyrics actually goes..?

It's a long scene with a lot of singers (Smee, pirates, barber, trollops) with different styles of music (exotic, rap, arabic ...) but the chorus is something like that:

Low below, where dead men go.

Low below, the time goes slow.

Low Below, youre bones'll show.

Near the grave of Davy Jones, Low below.

Hook ! Hook ! Hook !

"Hook ! Hook ! Hook ! Show us the hook" is the final part of the song when they arrive on the dock of the Jolly Roger.

Cool! Thx for that info! now that would have sounded great in a musical-version :) I actually don't mind the lyrics now sticking with me whenever listening to that male chorus - it works very well

I will be invariably hearing these lyrics for all the songs we know them for everytime I listen to the themes in the score now. :lol:

We could start elaborating on the names of the songs we know like some people already have:

Hook: Stick with me, stick with me,

Jack my lad,

Wouldn't it be nice if I were your own dear dad.

Pe-ter's selfish, evil man,

wouldn't you say that is true,

(whispering to Smee)

Smee come on and say it's true.

Smee: Too true!

Damn this is infectuous!

:lol:!!!!

How about the Exit Music-finale:

The tapes... of "Hook versus Pan" are lost,

The tapes... are hidden away...

It seems, that they have been stolen,

they're forever gooooooone!

EDIT - ohh no, shouldn't have done that.. :lol:

Bwaaahahaha. ROTFLMAO

You're kidding, right?

I think he is not. He seems to be living at the edge of civilization these days. :P

:lol:

Okay, so to clarify, and sorry if I missed this, but this does indeed mean that the dialed out unused section of "The End of Hook" is truly lost, unless the tracks somehow turn up somewhere?

All I was saying that when listening to the second half of the UW on the LLL set, it's clear it came from the film stems. And that MV and MV mentioned on Tim's show that when they began working on the project, the Ultimate War material couldn't be found. You can be a pessimist and say since it doesn't appear on the set is must be lost forever, or you can be an optimist and say while it wasn't found in time to include on the set, surely it's still out there somewhere and everyone will get to hear it eventually

Ah, well that's what I really meant. I don't like to consider anything lost forever--look at the discovery of all that missing Metropolis footage, or a film music example: Intrada having access to Conan when it was thought to be lost. Just making sure I understood the situation on this album.

A bit of speculation on this assembly, also: especially since [i think it was John?] in the interview said that time limits were the only real final decider on the OST presentation, I almost wonder if, at least in some way, Williams saw this as an opportunity to get a little closer to the ideal presentation he would have given if he didn't have those limits. Just a thought.

Also, for the Ultimate War film stems: If you guys have been able at all to listen to and enjoy the DVD rips, this is surely going to be an improvement in some ways. As I already mentioned, the quality is already distinctly better, and just from the sample of Part I, there is detail that was inaudible in the DVD rip.

Hmmm, I ordered mine at SAE last night as soon as it became available. The order status is still "Pending". Does that just mean that they've not yet received their stock from LLL?

First time ordering with Screen Archives and they don't seem to have a whole lot of information on the site regarding the order and shipping procedure (unless I'm missing something).

I wonder how many copies are still left, 12 hours after it went on sale...

You guys think they already got even 1,000 orders? Hmmm. I somehow doubt it.

well Jason was one of the first who ordered it seems he had the nr 47665

the highest nr in here was 48507 by scorefan 11hours ago.

48507-47665= 842

that was 11h ago - I guess with all the other online stores it must be about 1500 by now

Hmmm, I ordered mine at SAE last night as soon as it became available. The order status is still "Pending". Does that just mean that they've not yet received their stock from LLL?

First time ordering with Screen Archives and they don't seem to have a whole lot of information on the site regarding the order and shipping procedure (unless I'm missing something).

Yes SAE might not have gotten the set in their stock yet but soon will. Might take a couple of days to ship, especially with so many orders of this score besides normal orders they have to process. Also SAE updates their order status in rather capricious fashion. I have often received the package before they have informed me that it was shipped. :P

48507-47665= 842

that was 11h ago - I guess with all the other online stores it must be about 1500 by now

Good thinking!

So around 3,500 are still left.... hmmm. By the end of the day, it might be around 2,000.

48507-47665= 842

Good thinking!

So around 3,500 are still left.... hmmm. By the end of the day, it might be around 2,000.

We have certainly done our best to whip people into an enormous panic and shopping frenzy. Get your Hook! Get is before it sells out!

48507-47665= 842

People have been posting order numbers on Facebook as well (link) and the highest one I've seen posted there is 48716. That's 1100 direct orders (not that ALL of them were for Hook, but I'm sure the majority were), and when you add that to the copies sold to MovieMusic, SAE, Intrada, buysoundtrax, etc plus the fact that people could buy multiple copies direct, I wouldn't be surprised if 2500-3000 are already sold

It would never in doubt that the first 3000-4000 copies would sell immediately, the question is how long the final 1000 will last....

I still predict they'll be gone in a week

I'm sure everything's been cleaned up as best as possible.

I wouldn't take LLL to task for the volume drops, but it's unfortunate that the most shining pieces are affected by it.

So it seems not only Sony was a victim of Hollywood's recklessness in 1991, but poor, hapless mastertapes, too.