La-La Land Records' HOOK (2CD Expanded) Anticipation thread

Jay

It's impossible to answer that question without knowing what country you live in.

However, you'll only have 5 choices anyway:

http://www.lalalandrecords.com/

http://www.moviemusic.com/

http://www.screenarchives.com/

http://www.intrada.com/

http://www.buysoundtrax.com/

You could read the international shipping rates policies on all their websites now to prepare to a month from now.

I dont think 5,000 copies will even last 24 hours

I'll be surprised if it's not sold out within a week. All though it took a month or so for Star Trek V to sell out but Hook is a bit more popular than Star Trek V.

The problem is that probably 40% of the copies sold will be to people hoarding extra copies to re-sell for double, triple, quadruple the retail price. And it will work.

The problem is that probably 40% of the copies sold will be to people hoarding extra copies to re-sell for double, triple, quadruple the retail price. And it will work.

Good point. Unless if it's retailers IE: SAE, MovieMusic, Intrada and such then they should limit the number of copies for people to buy.

It's called free market. And it's what made Western civilisation great!

Why don't they put limit to 1 per customer for the first week or so

That's exactly the type of Government Regulation that is strangling businesses!

The thing that surprises me is that LLL doesn't do what Intrada does and re-press titles that sell out quickly.

They'd get immediate returns on their investment by re-licensing 1941, Commando, Poseidon Adventure, Star Trek 5, DIe Hard, soon Hook, etc.

Just not part of their ideology I guess :)

They should never limit the purchases to one per customer, regardless of how unfair it is if you end up not getting one. The purchase of items should only ever be limited by the money in your pocket and the goods in the warehouse.

Besides, if you buy your maximum 1 album at LLR, your max 1 at BSX, your max 1 at SAE, and your max 1 at MovieMusic -- for a grand total of four albums -- how has limiting your purchase stopped the speculators? It only made them work a bit harder, and their end result of a high markup is still just as rewarding.

And don't tell me that LLR, BSX, SAE, MM, Intrada, and VS are going to team together to verify email addresses, shipping addresses, and/or credit cards to make sure that people don't do what I just described.

It will sell out quickly for sure, but even if limited at 5,000 copies I don't think it will be burned out in less than 24 hrs. Intrada's Back to the Future - which was even more sought-after than Hook - sold the first batch of copies in a couple of days if I remember well.

It will sell out quickly for sure, but even if limited at 5,000 copies I don't think it will be burned out in less than 24 hrs. Intrada's Back to the Future - which was even more sought-after than Hook - sold the first batch of copies in a couple of days if I remember well.

But that was because customers knew it would be virtually unlimited. If there was a fear that it would sell out soon, then it would've sold the first 5000 a lot faster.

1 per customer wouldn't completely solve the problem of course. But it would help.

In the end there will be copies of Hook selling on ebay and amazon for over $100 for the next 20 years (or until whenever the next label licenses it is)

It's sad when a lousy movie taints a great score in some people's eyes.

Yeah and I still think this is very stupid.

As for me, I love both the movie and the score! This is some of the earliest Williams and Spielberg I ever remember being exposed to. My mother took my brother and I to see it. It was a perfect kind of fantasy adventure movie for kids. I still remember the end sword fight with the big fanfare in the score, and the crocodile falling on Hook. So awesome.

It's some of JW's most important unreleased material, of not the most important.

The bootlegs generally sounded terrible (there are a couple okay-sounding tracks you can keep in your rotation). I have spent the years listening to the unreleased music through the DVD. Even amid the sound effects and dialogue, the score really shines.

It's impossible to answer that question without knowing what country you live in.

However, you'll only have 5 choices anyway:

http://www.lalalandrecords.com/

http://www.moviemusic.com/

http://www.screenarchives.com/

http://www.intrada.com/

http://www.buysoundtrax.com/

You could read the international shipping rates policies on all their websites now to prepare to a month from now.

Oh, thanks. I wasn't aware of the later two :)

A limit on the number of copies you can order would suck since I am going to order myself one and another to a friend who loves this particular JW score.

And yeah BSX is perhaps the last resort from Jason's list. Others are reliable, get their copies moving relatively fast after ordering and have the score on sale on their site pretty much immediately after they come on sale at LLL.

The thing that surprises me is that LLL doesn't do what Intrada does and re-press titles that sell out quickly.

They'd get immediate returns on their investment by re-licensing 1941, Commando, Poseidon Adventure, Star Trek 5, DIe Hard, soon Hook, etc.

Just not part of their ideology I guess :)

This might answer your question (keywords being 'finished goods manufacturing deals'): http://filmscoremonthly.com/daily/article.cfm/articleID/6785/

It's called free market. And it's what made Western civilisation great!

Thanks Ford.

Schindler's Workforce also sounds surprisingly similar to the piece used in the original trailer... :|

Woijiech Kilar's Exodus.

I usually prefer his one-character pose sheets to his gang of floating heads.

The decision on composition is taken by the studios, don't blame him.

Okay, just wanted to tell you guys... I just saw Hook again, for the second time in my life (the last time was like 18 years ago when I was 10)!

And my verdict?

The movie is really atrociously and unspeakably bad, especially the "Ultimate War" part... unless, I guess, you are a kid between the ages of 3 and 10. I don't even wanna start talking about the choreography of that part of the movie (what choreograohy?). It's really hard to believe that the director is the same guy who directed Schindler's List 3 years later.

That said, the score was magnificent! Undoubtedly the best thing about the movie. I didn't find many "unreleased highlights" though, except the "Ultimate War" part. I guess most of the good stuff is already on the OS album. Still, it will be nice to have all the variations of the themes and every cue written for the film.

I dont think 5,000 copies will even last 24 hours

Will it be limited to 5,000 copies??? :blink:

I watched Hook again today after about 10 years since the last time I saw it. Surprisingly, I like it better as an adult than I did as a child or a young person. There was something about Peter Banning's struggle with work/life balance that seems more relevant to me now in a general sense. I also liked the portrayal of Banning's life in the US as grounded, work-focused and almost neo-realist, but the moment the film shifts to the UK, the film becomes a fantasy as if London represents some whimsical old-world nostalgia. I suppose this is part of why some critics think the film is disjointed, but I always attributed that criticism to the fact that the moment Dustin Hoffman appears, we lose interest in Peter's story of self-discovery (whether real of imagined, he still becomes a better man at the end), because Hoffman chews up every scene he's in, even Robin Williams can't keep up because he's playing what could arguably be the most "normal" role of his career at that point.

I love it all. Wonderful escapist fantasy. Negative reaction to the movie by adults always sounds to jaded and cynical to me. But I'm biased because I've "believed" since I was 4.

I love it all. Wonderful escapist fantasy. Negative reaction to the movie by adults always sounds to jaded and cynical to me. But I'm biased because I've "believed" since I was 4.

It's not that I have anything against escapist fantasy or even children's movies, provided they are well made. Hell, I love E.T., still one of my favorite movies! But Hook... urrrgghhh! I now officially consider it Spielberg's weakest movie.

No wonder only 29% of critics have given the film a positive review according to Rotten Tomatoes.

By the way, anybody else find it a bit weird/distracting/amusing that Oskar Schindler's wife is also Peter Pan's wife? (They are both played by the same actress Caroline Goodall.)

While watching that scene, I couldn't help but think that Spielberg was trying to copy the opening scene of Oliver Stone's Born on the Fourth of July...

That latter scene was way better (and way better scored by John WIlliams too)! :)

I love it all. Wonderful escapist fantasy. Negative reaction to the movie by adults always sounds to jaded and cynical to me.

It's called 'cognitive dissonance'. Most bad reviews for HOOK are sound and more than deserved. Even Spielberg agrees. But there's nothing wrong with loving shit, you know? My proud collection of EMMANUELLE soundtracks is the living proof!

:yes:

:up:

I think it's honestly one of speliberg's best, and I think, regardless of what the critics said, it's a good movie. As it's not only my opinion, but everyone i've ever talked to loves it also.

The beginning is the most boring part. "I got to go to my son's baseball match. Blabediblabedibla..." "Daddy isn't coming to my baseball match. Blabediblabediblabedibla"... Baseball is boring. Who cares about baseball? Nobody understand the fucking rules!

If you're a father and you love your child, it doesn't matter if he's in a teddy bear hugging contest. You show up and support him and be proud. Otherwise his fragile little mind doubts you love him regardless of how much money you throw at him on food, clothes, and shelter.

Besides, baseball is established early on as Jack's thing so Captain Hook can exploit it and turn him against his father. No other sport that American audiences will "get" would have the line "run home" to play with Jack's mind, or "stealing" to get its own mid-game pirate execution. And the deep ball bonking Peter on the head is pretty clever as a means to set him right on his path of self-realization: his own son knocks the badly needed sense into him.

I just find it awfully silly that Peter Pan returns from Neverland, settles in England, falls in love with Wendy's granddaughter......and moves to America. Seriously? I guess it's a result of casting Robin Williams as Peter and he didn't want to hold an English accent for the entire movie. Peter Pan growing old in America makes a little better sense in that regard than an American Robin Hood in England, but I digress.

This is exactly what I say about the Star Wars Prequels.

I think it's honestly one of speliberg's best, and I think, regardless of what the critics said, it's a good movie. As it's not only my opinion, but everyone i've ever talked to loves it also.

After medication, i suppose.

I only saw the film on TV too long ago and I don't remember it. All of this sounds like it was something someone like Spielberg should have knocked out of the park and yet the thing crashed. I'm curious to revisit it and get my own opinion.

It's too bad Kevin Kline, who they originally cast as Peter, had to back out because the movie Soapdish was taking too long to film. I think he would have played the part better.