Silva Screen 6-CD Compilation Thread

Faleel

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 4 CD set (released in 2003) had ommitted several tracks that were previously released in the Silva library.

Since then, they've recorded numerous new Harry Potter tracks, Geisha, Munich, War of the Worlds, Tintin and War Horse among others I'm not remembering...

At 7 hours, that's going to be pretty damn comprehensive.

It can't be definitive if it's performed by the City of Prague...

Some of their stuff is good. I prefer their version of the end credits from ToD because Willie's theme (I think it's her theme) is much slower and richer than on the OST.

City of Prague is actually really great now. The early recordings stink, but around the time that Tadlow came in the scene things turned around.

Indeed.

The earlier dismissal feels like something you could have read in the mid 90's. WAY out of place now and just falls on its own unreasonability.

I just say 'keep repackaging, Silva'. Get the JW love out there! This is not really for us hardcore fans in the first place.

7 hours seems around the length of my Williams Prague playlist (which currently doesn't exist in my iTunes). Perhaps not including the recent Potter stuff. I think I have almost everything they've done aside from Viktor's theme and the Irwin Allen themes. Their later stuff is better, but there are still worthwhile tracks on the earlier albums. Unique versions unavailable elsewhere.

I really hope they recorded that and Irina's Theme especially for this new CD. Hell I might buy it if they did.

City of Prague is actually really great now. The early recordings stink, but around the time that Tadlow came in the scene things turned around.

Indeed.

The earlier dismissal feels like something you could have read in the mid 90's. WAY out of place now and just falls on its own unreasonability.

C'mon, it's not like this won't be 80% or more from the John Williams 4 CD box set. And that is, for the most part, horrible. Also, I'd think that somebody whose opinions are so unpopular around here would be more tolerant of those that differ from his own.

Indeed.

C'mon, it's not like this won't be 80% or more from the John Williams 4 CD box set. And that is, for the most part, horrible. Also, I'd think that somebody whose opinions are so unpopular around here would be more tolerant of those that differ from his own.

I have nothing against it, it just sounds like a 'blast from the past', like criticizing Elfman for not writing his own scores (which was all the rave in the 80's and even into the 90's).

Prague has developed immensely since those days, and is now among the top film orchestras in the world.

As for the seleciton and 're-packaging'....again, these compilations aren't for hardcore fans like ourselves (even though I personally enjoy compilations like this more and more again), but for a more general public.

"There's a new Harry Potter re-package coming out too:

http://www.amazon.co...c/dp/B00701QW1S"

It says its going to a single CD release. How is a "complete" HP collection supposed to fit on one CD? :o

Oh and the Prague orchestra has really become one of the best for film scores since Tadlow came into the picture!

Indeed.

I have nothing against it, it just sounds like a 'blast from the past', like criticizing Elfman for not writing his own scores (which was all the rave in the 80's and even into the 90's).

Prague has developed immensely since those days, and is now among the top film orchestras in the world.

As for the seleciton and 're-packaging'....again, these compilations aren't for hardcore fans like ourselves (even though I personally enjoy compilations like this more and more again), but for a more general public.

My comment was that this can't be a definitive recording because in all likelihood the music will be repackaged from a CD with a horrible performance. Hence, most of this 6 CD set will probably be awful, regardless of how good the orchestra has become in recent years.

A supposed representative from Silva has posted the track list on FSM:

CD1

Star Wars: A New Hope:

01. Star Wars: A New Hope

02. Cantina Band

03. Princess Leia

04. The Throne Room / Finale

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back:

05. The Imperial March

06. Han Solo and The Princess

07. The Asteroid Field

08. Yoda's Theme

Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi:

09. Forest Battle

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace:

10.Anakin's Theme

11.The Flag Parade

12. The Adventures Of Jar Jar

13. Duel Of The Fates

Star Wars: Attack Of The Clones:

14. Across The Stars

Star Wars: Revenge Of The Sith:

15. Battle Of The Heroes

CD2

Raiders Of The Lost Ark:

01. The Raiders March

02. The Map Room / Dawn

03. The Basket Game

04. Marion's Theme

05. Airplane Fight

06. The Ark Trek

07. Raiders Of The Lost Ark

Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom:

08. Nocturnal Activities

09. The Mine Car Chase

10. Indiana Jones And The Temple Of Doom End Credits

Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade:

11. Indy's First Adventure

12. X Marks The Spot / Escape From Venice

13. No Ticket / Keeping Up With The Joneses

14. Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade End Credits

CD3

Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone:

01. Hedwig's Theme

02. Nimbus 2000

03. Harry's Wondrous World

04. Christmas at Hogwarts

05. Leaving Hogwarts

Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets:

06. Fawkes The Phoenix

07. The Chamber of Secrets

08. Gilderoy Lockhart

09. Dobby the House Elf

10. Reunion of Friends

Harry Potter And The Prisoner of Azkaban:

11. Aunt Marge's Waltz

12. The Knight Bus

13. Double Trouble

14. A Window to the Past

15.Witches, Wands and Wizards

16. Mischief Managed / A Window to the Past / Buckbeak's Flight

CD4

01. The Adventures Of Tintin: The Secret Of The Unicorn - The Adventures Of Tintin

02. War Horse - The Reunion

03. War Of The Worlds - Suite

04. Munich - A Prayer for Peace

05. The Terminal - The Tale of Viktor Navorski

06. Minority Report

07. Catch Me If You Can

08. Artificial Intelligence: AI - Where Dreams Are Born

09. Saving Private Ryan - Hymn To The Fallen

10. Amistad - Dry Your Tears, Afrika

11. Schindler’s List - Theme

12. Jurassic Park - Suite

13. Hook - Main Themes

14. Always - Follow Me / Dorinda's Solo Flight

15. Empire Of The Sun - Exsultate Justi

CD5

01. E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial - Adventures On Earth

02. 1941 - March

03. Close Encounters Of The Third Kind - The Conversation Begins / Main Title / Resolution and Finale

04. Jaws

05. The Sugarland Express

06. Memoirs of a Geisha - Sayuri's Theme & End Credits

07. Far And Away - End Credits

08. JFK - Arlington / End Titles

09. Presumed Innocent

10. Born On The Fourth Of July - End Credits

11. The Witches Of Eastwick - Dance Of The Witches

12. The River - Main Theme / Love Theme

13. Olympic Fanfare and Theme

CD6

01. Dracula - Main Titles & Storm

02. The Fury

03. Superman

04. Black Sunday - Suite

05. The Missouri Breaks - Love Theme

06. Family Plot - End Titles

07. Battle of Midway

08. The Towering Inferno

09. Earthquake

10. The Long Goodbye

11. Cinderella Liberty - Nice To Be Around

12. The Poseidon Adventure

13. The Cowboys - Suite

14. Jane Eyre - Theme

15. The Rare Breed - The Cross-Breed / End Credits

Looks like a great collection to me, although I would rather have seen a wider presentation than the exclusive STAR WARS/INDY/HP focus on the first three discs. But on the other hand, these franchises have so much great music that they need a meaty selection.

Obviously, I own all of these (as do most of us), but still -- great career overview, with the most important stuff covered. And then some.

Looks like a great compilation for a newbie and with a wide range of Williams' music included, not just the greatest hits. And looks like they have included some of the recent stuff and 70's rarer scores as an incentive for more devoted fans to get this.

Looks like a great collection to me, although I would rather have seen a wider presentation than the exclusive STAR WARS/INDY/HP focus on the first three discs. But on the other hand, these franchises have so much great music that they need a meaty selection.

Obviously, I own all of these (as do most of us), but still -- great career overview, with the most important stuff covered. And then some.

I agree. Personally I could do without the first three discs, even knowing it's all awesome music. I prefer the focus on the other Williams stuff.

Bunch of new stuff:

Tintin, War Horse, Olympic Fanfare, Missouri Breaks, Long Goodbye and Cinderella Liberty previously unreleased.

Missouri Breaks, The Long Goodbye and Cinderella Liberty have been released before. Of course, they could have recorded them again, but not their m.o.

You can get the new

The Adventures of Tintin

War Horse tracks

through itunes, since 12.12.2011. The Album is called "Filmmusic 2011" (Tintin is a fantastic new interpretation.. a little bit more quirky than the OST Version!)

Well I stand corrected, there's a decent amount of good, unusual stuff on here. I just hope they rerecorded some of the tracks available on their previous 4 CD compilation (especially "Adventures on Earth" and "Duel of the Fates"). I probably won't get this.

It'll probably be the old stuff. I don't have the 40 Years set handy, but is this that with additional CDs? It looks like I may even be able to ditch the Star Wars and Harry Potter CDs.

I think their versions are still worth having. Some definitely stink. Some of their slower interpretations are actually pretty neat played in that tempo. They're also an occasional break from the usual versions we all know and love. Plus, their versions of Towering Inferno main title and the concert version of Dry Your Tears, Afrika kick ass.

I don't remember what was wrong with Duel of the Fates, but Adventures on Earth was performed at such a dismal tempo if I remember right. What bothers me most is their recording of Arlington from JFK - I seem to remember the horn solo in the beginning having a blatant wrong pitch. But it was played with such conviction and never fixed obviously, which makes me think it's a problem in Nic Raine's transcription of the piece.

What bothers me most is their recording of Arlington from JFK - I seem to remember the horn solo in the beginning having a blatant wrong pitch. But it was played with such conviction and never fixed obviously, which makes me think it's a problem in Nic Raine's transcription of the piece.

Lol, just listened and you're right.

It'll probably be the old stuff. I don't have the 40 Years set handy, but is this that with additional CDs? It looks like I may even be able to ditch the Star Wars and Harry Potter CDs.

Not really. The 40 years set had more cues from Jane Eyre and Rare Breed to name a few, but this new set renders the Six Star Wars Films disc, the Indiana Jones Trilogy disc, and the Harry Potter compilation obsolete (if you don't care about the Doyle and Hooper scores).

I don't remember what was wrong with Duel of the Fates, but Adventures on Earth was performed at such a dismal tempo if I remember right. What bothers me most is their recording of Arlington from JFK - I seem to remember the horn solo in the beginning having a blatant wrong pitch. But it was played with such conviction and never fixed obviously, which makes me think it's a problem in Nic Raine's transcription of the piece.

And I seem to remember this version had cornet solo instead of a horn. I would check but I am moving soon and all my JW CDs are in boxes already.

Seems to be nothing of interest here, and except two or three all are previously released. I wish they'd focus on recording unreleased concert pieces of his film scores instead: in this way they would interest both parts of the filmmusic market - casual buyers and the die-hard JW fans.

Seems to be nothing of interest here, and except two or three all are previously released. I wish they'd focus on recording unreleased concert pieces of his film scores instead: in this way they would interest both parts of the filmmusic market - casual buyers and the die-hard JW fans.

They did that, trying to please the die hard fans, with recordings of the concert version of JFK's prologue, or the suites from Black Sunday and The Rare Breed... but people keep saying how bad they are. I can see why they won't put much more effort on this anymore.

To be fair though, people keep saying how bad they are about áll of their CDs (even though they have fantastically improved); and I do remember people being positive about the unreleased stuff like The Rare Breed and the HP material.

The point is: instead of recording pieces that are on the OST, they could with zero extra effort just as well record the concert versions of the same pieces. I don't know why they don't do that. Perhaps it's contractual, but then they did that with POA, plus I can't see how Williams would forbid someone to record pieces that he expressly adapted from his film scores precisely to be performed.

I was in Prague two summers ago....I should have found me some Czech musicians and asked what's up with those arrangements??!?!

Hi,

I don't know about anybody else but when these compilations come out I use them to canvas family and friends and introduce them to Williams' greatness. I get asked from time to time to go to local high schools and music schools to speak on film music, its great to close a lecture by saying 'if you want to here most of the masters finest works get this album......................' With the economy and the life of a student they don't have much spare cash so its ideal.

As long as 1 person leaves with a greater understanding of the greatest composer of our age I am happy LOL.

Ad (UK)

• 4 weeks later...

I was thinking of buying this, and I was wondering, does anyone have it already and is it worth it to buy?

The compilation looks great to me, but I listened to some of the previews online and they sounded..empty? I don't know how else to describe, haha.

I just recieved the set in the mail today. It's a very nice looking set. Each disc comes in a seperate slim jewel case with it's own cover and those fit into a cardboard slip case.

As for the music - it's rerecordings. Different interpretations. If that doesn't bother you then it's worth getting. But if you're more attached to how the original recordings sound then you may not be satisfied. There are also one or two rarities on the set that may be worthwhile.

Ah, yes I see. The collection looks very impressive, and I do enjoy rerecordings from time to time (as I have the "original" soundtrack versions of some of the songs). What's the best song on the CD, in your opinion?

You should be aware that a lot of these recordings are by a not-very-good ensemble at really poor tempos. I've been told the City of Prague has improved in recent years, but I'm assuming a lot of these recordings come from older releases before they suddenly got better.

Here's an example of what I consider to be a vastly inferior recording from one of their previous releases:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0010WXYV4/ref=dm_mu_dp_trk6